HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

...I'm trying to emulate the Nissan text from that era. And that was quite plain and blocky. I'm open to improvements on plain and blocky but it's going to be plain and blocky no matter what:)

I can do plain and blocky :), although I'd recommend varied font and font/size if you really want to match older Nissan motors. Even the S20 motor, which could be considered the closest cousin to your creation had a Serif font and an outline font (albeit blocky on both accounts).

Also, as far as I know, most Nissan motors said twin cam 24 valve, not DOHC. That's more of a Honda/Mitsubishi thing...

Even the S20 motor, which could be considered the closest cousin to your creation had a Serif font and an outline font (albeit blocky on both accounts).

'Nissan' logo on one of my S20s:

3ng6fL.jpg

c6PAfd.jpg

on one of my S20s

Showoff:) 

Thanks for posting that picture as it highlights why foundrymen (foundry persons) hate type. Look at the defects around the NISSAN. This is from the sand breaking when they remove the pattern. Or at least that's what it would look like if it was sand cast. I don't know what kind of numbers of S20's were being produced. It's possible that they were permanent mold but it looks like a sand casting to me. Serif type is even worse. If I do "DATSUNWORKS" in a serif the size of the serif is only .035". 

Also the type style has to be a font that I have. And that means what ever is in windows 7.  I'm not going to get into vector drawing those many individual letters. I've done it on restoration projects but not on something like this.

Derek

Look at the defects around the NISSAN. This is from the sand breaking when they remove the pattern. Or at least that's what it would look like if it was sand cast. I don't know what kind of numbers of S20's were being produced. It's possible that they were permanent mold but it looks like a sand casting to me. 

Actually, production S20 cam covers were low pressure diecast. See photo of underside with splash cover removed.

I like the cosmetic 'defects'. I could have repaired/improved them, but chose not to. They suit the period, age and character of the car, I think.

Something to think about, perhaps?

jtMQmU.jpg

Edited by HS30-H

Yep that's a die cast all right!

If I was doing a restoration I would do a 3D scan and replicate it warts and all.  But I want a more refined look than 1970's production. 

When I'm designing I know when I've hit the point where I'm happy with the look AND the part can actually be produced.

Because esthetic design is subjective it can alway's be better. But it may not be able to be produced. 

Also the type style has to be a font that I have. And that means what ever is in windows 7.  I'm not going to get into vector drawing those many individual letters. I've done it on restoration projects but not on something like this.

Derek

Just as a heads up, If there is a font that you want that is not on your machine you can always add additional ones, most of which can be found for free on the web. :)

Yea after clicking on links that say "free fonts" 30 or 40 times I've come to the conclusion that (paraphrase) "they keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means."

I can provide the vector files in a multitude of formats, should make importing the data to whatever you're using simple ... Just saying!

And I can provide the font files for future use.

Edit: Sorry for pushing this thread off on such a tangent! Back to the topic!

Edited by LanceVance

Who cares what you want :)

I'm going to make the pattern as it is in post #361. But there is nothing stopping anyone from modifying it after the fact in a number of ways. Especially if your plan is to powdercoat. Raw aluminum is trickier because the modified area won't match the surface of the rest of the casting. 

Cam castings are in transit and I'll have them Tuesday. 

Should be in the 53cc range. Future designs will have smaller "blank" combustion chambers that will be machined to a specific shape. Either stock like this one or a custom shape by the purchaser.

I saw where a company welds up and re-machines the chambers to 47cc's. This was for a road race application where stock designed pistons had to be retained. 

Gee what's that then...8.2:1 on a flat top L28 bore and 9.2:1 with a 3.0?

Given they run 10:1 on high boost engines with this chamber design....gee either sounds just bolt-on perfect for a turbo application.

Wonder how that ever happened?

• Like 1

Hi

No real updates. I'm kind of caught up in finishing the paint on my car and getting it back on the road. I got the first cam castings in and I wasn't happy with the part line cleanup. They were over ground in a few places.  They are going to run a new set for me. I'll handle the cleanup this time.

Probably going to get the head down to Mazworx next week.

Post 66 has pricing.

The head casting, valve cover and front cover UN-MACINED is going to be $4500.00.