HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

I think my valve cover height is close enough to the K20 that you could run K20 coils. Have no idea how to trigger them as I run EDIS on my current build and I plan on moving it over to the new head with a new set of wires.

I'll measure the heights tomorrow and verify. Ebay is littered with K20 coils.

The repairs I did with the body panel adhesive needed ZERO attention. The only problem I had was it shrank a bit over the course of a year. In hind sight I should have made the patches fit better and used less adhesive.

DIY EFI has a distributor-mounted 32-1 or other option to mount in the 82/83CAS to give the sequential ignition control. Kinda shocked it was there. Megasquirt must be in fashion amongst the Datsun crowd!

If you don't want the distributor lash, the traditional crank-fire options exist, since the lower cover remains Datsun.

On a side note, since hooting children are accusing me in FB of "benchracing" I've ordered my Davies-Craig EWP & Controller and will go into testing here in The Philippines on another project for proof of concept of "a previously discussed option" regarding this head setup. Just benchracing and selling my comic books, making non-contributory sarcastic comments from the side!

On a side note, since hooting children are accusing me in FB of "benchracing" I've ordered my Davies-Craig EWP & Controller and will go into testing here in The Philippines

Will you be testing it on a Jeepny:) 

Turbo Suzuki.

Spent 16 hours in the Jeepney this week going down into Bicol to visit relatives. Waiting to get the engine's official importation paperwork to register the change with LTO so this behemoth can start making its money back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^ Actually that wouldn't be hard to implement but might make machining of valves difficult.

It would make getting a valve cover a snap as a surplus plate of aluminium could be used, since that trough top would need a 2mm O-Ring groove machined into it to make it leak-free...

As you saw earlier in the thread, Derek found the "Blocking" of the head makes for easy machining. That gets you cheaper product as you don't necessarily need NC Machines to block the head and get it set up for advanced machine operations.

It shouldn't be difficult to implement acorn nuts on the cover by using threaded studs and nuts in place of the bolts normally used.

Well it wouldn't have anything to do with the machining of the valves, as it could be accomplished by making a secondary trough around the head, like a rectangular riser- also with a 2mm o-ring. 

Just looks really nice. Reminiscent of the cool flat-head ford's with offenhauser covers. 

Some LZ20B's were sprayed Dark Crystal Black, while some had the Datsun Dusty Blue colour.

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards...having some "teats" cast into the valvecover mounting area would allow a trough add-on for aesthetics.

Basically a alternate two-piece valve cover.

Then again, machining that out of billet wouldn't be too difficult to do, either...then a quick blast with "Black Magic" at low pressure to simulate a casting....

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards...having some "teats" cast into the valvecover mounting area would allow a trough add-on for aesthetics.

Basically a alternate two-piece valve cover.

Then again, machining that out of billet wouldn't be too difficult to do, either...then a quick blast with "Black Magic" at low pressure to simulate a casting....

you mean an oxide type media?

Black Magic is a coal slag based media, usually less abrasive and gentler than oxide types.

Derek, any chance we could get some measurements of the assembled long block?  Say, the height from pan flange to top of valve cover, the distance from crank center to camshaft plane, and possibly the width of the new head referenced to the center of the bore? 

Much appreciated.

Black Magic is a coal slag based media, usually less abrasive and gentler than oxide types.

Derek, any chance we could get some measurements of the assembled long block?  Say, the height from pan flange to top of valve cover, the distance from crank center to camshaft plane, and possibly the width of the new head referenced to the center of the bore? 

Much appreciated.

When I get the head back in a few weeks from Mazworx I can get an accurate measurement. If you need it sooner I can calculate it from the digital model.

Have you given any thought to a plastic valve cover?

After you finish this awesome project please make an aluminum 3 liter Z block. And when your done with that an aluminum RB30 block. Thanks.

Well Mazworx has that capacity to machine billet blocks so that means they have the capacity to machine a cast block. If you guys buy enough heads I'll think about it:)

No real plans for a plastic valve cover. 

Setting the body jig up to get the headers started-I know Derek is happy to hear that!

Pics or it never happened....JK.. That's great. I'm excited to see something happening although at this point you are way ahead of me schedule wise:)

Started carving the valve cover pattern yesterday. The foundry is totally slammed so no telling when they will get to it.

I am a little late to the game. I just found out about your project. I think it is awesome and I am excited like everyone else to see what comes from this. I have played with K-series hondas so this is that much cooler to me. I am wondering if you have thought about using the varible cam system from the k motor? Maybe I missed that reading through 20 pages. It seems like you are basing as much as you can on the K motor to help your development. I wonder if you have seen this? It is a K motor varible cam running on the F series honda (s2000). They made some of the missing parts external and might work here too. Would be neat to add something similar down the road. Whatever you do the finish product will be amazing.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/htup-1010-ecs-system-for-honda-s2000/
http://www.designcraftfab.com/online-store?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

Thanks for the links. That's pretty cool. My plan is to make sure there is enough material in the raw casting for people to be able to engineer a iVetc setup. That's a hill too high for me to climb. Probably the toughest area will be the variable cam gear hub as the stock Honda setup won't work on this motor. There seems to interest but It's going to take some deep pockets to make it happen. 

Edited by Derek