HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Check the last line of this post, believe this is Derek's target...

Probably a good time to change the subject:)

Did the Timesert and got the head on and torqued to 65lbs.

IMG_0789_zpsmley3kz2.jpg

This abomination is the water outlet. It's what I had to do in order to not have to make a separate timing cover pattern for this build. It's setup for the stock nissan outlet and when it's on it won't look too bad. The new design is completely different.

IMG_0791_zpsp2dev64y.jpg

Upper timing gear went right on and my custom chain stop popped right out.  Ignore the grey silicone if you don't mind:)  The outlet is o-ringed against the head and is bolted directly to the head so I'm not worried about leaking. Obviously I'll have to rework the upper timing cover patten to clear the tensioner.

IMG_0790_zpsuq72fk8c.jpg

February. There I said it.

Edited by 1969honda

I rotated everything around. The arrows on the cam towers now point to the rear.  This is one of many hindrances to making Vtec work.

Ah, well that is a bit of a bummer that the exhaust still has to run near the steering column. Keeping Vtec as an option trumps that inconvenience though. 

Keep it up sir

Look what UPS just dropped off!

Very happy with the first pour. I had what's called a "short run" where the metal didn't flow all the way. It's right at the firing order.  The 1 and 5 are barely there. The metal made it it just didn't fill. There was a hole below it that they welded in for me.

I'll sand the other numbers down to that level and see if I can make it work. Otherwise off they come.  I'll modify the pattern so that future castings won't have this issue.

The lettering is nice and crisp.

IMG_0796_zpsllfqoixl.jpg

I'm going with Prismatic lite charcoal wrinkle with the lettering and ribs raw aluminum.

Yea!

The kerning on your fonts is terrrrrrible :-) make sure to adjust the "DATSUNWORKS" to bring the A and T closer together in the final casting

/nerd 

Edited by thedarkie

That valve cover.......is a work of art the detail on this head is amazing. It looks like a crown for the head. The ONLY finest looking home brewed DOHC period. No one and I mean no one has done this to this high of a caliber. Craftsmanship at its highest. Derek you are a Datsun king.

If it ends up being a complete disaster, can I buy it for a coffee table?  It's just so pretty.  I love seeing your creativity.

Really blown away by how quick it's coming together as well.  I can't seem to get my motor together, and it's just a rebuild.   Really love the external lines as well, PITA to make, but satisfying when you get them right.

Cheers to you good sir.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Everyone except thedarkie and G-E.

Here are a few more pics for you to pick apart:)

Top side finished.

20170707040823-baf6f20e-me.jpg

Getting the correct thread pitch for the oil cap was tricky but it fits great. I also ran a mill across the firing order. I'll sand it up a bit to try and make it blend. 

20170707040837-59c2abe1-me.jpg

The shop cat just farted. Holy mother of god that stinks.

I'm setting up the plug wire boots for a k24. This is one of the plug ends from Magnecore. Not crazy about the look but man do they seal well.

20170707040841-652e4564-me.jpg

Guilty party.

20170707040843-51386dcb-me.jpg

Edited by Derek

Hi,

Is there a reason you have no oil return path in the front of the head ?

I understand that on acceleration, the oil will want to pool towards the back of the head,

but a constant cruise, I would think the oil could return at the front of the head..

maybe some 1/2 inch holes or so ?

Nigel

post-2090-0-89546600-1449991766_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-17908100-1449991775_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-74349600-1449991783_thumb.jpg

Listen man... I've been kerning fonts and building motors for ages. If there's anything I've learned, its that improper font kerning costs HORSEPOWER. You don't wanna lose HORSEPOWER to some piddly fonts, do you? 

:) god damnit I can't stop looking at the intake and hard line pics.... damnit damnit damnit 

Edited by thedarkie

Listen man... I've been kerning fonts and building motors for ages. If there's anything I've learned, its that improper font kerning costs HORSEPOWER. You don't wanna lose HORSEPOWER to some piddly fonts, do you? 

:) god damnit I can't stop looking at the intake and hard line pics.... damnit damnit damnit 

Ok that made laugh out loud.

I know what you mean about looking at it.  I'm going to miss having it in the shop on the stand. It's nice to look at during the day as I work.

No distributor for me, but I do have a Turbo CAS with a DIY custom chopper

disk that looks like a 12-1 crank and single tooth cam wheel for full sequential...

I assume you are running it in the stock distributor housing with no cap?

I'm starting to research CAS options. I want to make sure people can run as much gear as they already own as possible. 

• Like 1