HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Still bummed out that the exhaust isn't on the passenger side, so much room for boost!

Looks real good can't wait to hear it purr, injectors and the rest of the exhaust left?

Putting the zorst on the passenger side means running the exhaust right overtop the oil filter.

What Xnke said, and the starter is pretty much sitting right where you would want to run an exhaust.

Like it or not, the S30 was designed as a RHD car...and it shows. Yes the oil filter and starter by the header would not be good..(unless you liked your 68 Charger...)..reeeeally tight on that side of the Zcar. Wanna cooked speedo cable? Plenty of room on the other side, though. No worries!

Edited by Tony D

Yea a lot of inconveniences suddenly disappear or are not a factor if one considers the RHD origin of the car. Especially the zx turbo. Still fascinating they managed to fit all that on the LHD car.

I completely forgot about the starter. Oil filter could be relocated, but just pipings from the peanut gallery. 

Every morning when I get to work I check this thread...I tell myself today is going to be the day, the day where Derek posts a video of this thing running.

Needless to say that engine bay shot has got me all anxious to hear this motor. I'm sure I cant be the only one out there who religiously checks this thread first lol. 

Every morning when I get to work I check this thread...I tell myself today is going to be the day, the day where Derek posts a video of this thing running.

Needless to say that engine bay shot has got me all anxious to hear this motor. I'm sure I cant be the only one out there who religiously checks this thread first lol. 

Yea me too. Unfortunately it's usually in the same state I left it in when I left the night before:)

Making progress. Lot's of little things to take care of. Probably fire it off next week some time.

Yea me too. Unfortunately it's usually in the same state I left it in when I left the night before:)

Making progress. Lot's of little things to take care of. Probably fire it off next week some time.

If you somehow find it in a finished state when you get up then we can finally say that this build has consumed you enough to where your even started sleep wrenching. 

It will be a momentous occasion when this thing is finally running. I am just going to take the day off work and play the video on repeat all day. 

But then I tried something extra. I threw them in my vibratory finisher with ceramic media.

IMG_0950_zpstyn0jwyo.jpg

Almost brought them back to original die cast look.

So there is derek's tech tip for the day:)

I'd post in this thread, but I don't want to disrupt the flow with photos of my own work- but you should see what a fully assembled vibratory tumbled L24 looks like. I can shows ya if you'd like. Best tool once you work out the finishes attainable through testing various mediums and compounds/burnishing fluids. Some media will get you as close to the "virgin casting" look on the inside of most engine parts that aren't exposed to the elements, like the inside of the timing chain cover.

If you somehow find it in a finished state when you get up then we can finally say that this build has consumed you enough to where your even started sleep wrenching. 

It will be a momentous occasion when this thing is finally running. I am just going to take the day off work and play the video on repeat all day. 

Sleep wrenching is dangerous. That's how you wind up with a truck engine rebuild that was supposed to be a stock 2.8L crank swap and a freshen up that turns into a blown, 3.4L stroker, aluminum-headed, fuel-injected monstrosity that won't fit under the hood.

Careless, do you mean tunbling an entire engine block or only the removeable parts??

Derek, feel free to hide this comment if you feel it's thread stealing. It IS pretty unrelated...

all the removable parts. You'd need a tumbler about 4 to 5 times the size of a common industrial sized one in order to get the action needed to support and lift an engine block through vibratory motion. I don't think it would be too feasible. the media and burnishing compound cost alone would be a mortgage. and getting all the media out of the crevices of a block would be more work than it's worth.

Sleep wrenching is dangerous. That's how you wind up with a truck engine rebuild that was supposed to be a stock 2.8L crank swap and a freshen up that turns into a blown, 3.4L stroker, aluminum-headed, fuel-injected monstrosity that won't fit under the hood.

or perhaps a 3 litre v6 that is now a 1.5 litre V3/6 ... depending on how good you are at sleep wrenching. lol

Simply awesome. Congrats!

Thanks.

The valvetrain noise is not as loud as it is in the video. I have about 30 min. of run time on it. Pulled the valve cover a few times checking things with no surprises. The revs in the video are up to around 5000. 

Now comes the long process of getting everything dialed in. There are a lot of loose ends.

I'll probably start sleeping better:)