HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

I was looking for something unrelated to this thread and stumbled on your blog somehow... and then clicked the main page link and saw the vid- so I had to come back here, thinking i was the first person to see it and had to spoil the good news with a  subtle hint like "Derek has some 'splainin' ta do."  :lol:

just awesome, Derek.

i think i speak for a lot of us when there are those who say taking on something like this is a waste of time, or it will "never work" and all that jazz- but that's all people like us are trying to do here, is waste time doing fun, interesting, and challenging things- and I think you made the best of it as far as cars and Datsuns go in particular. I feel like it's a really proud moment for the Datsun Z fans, too. It's how I'd imagine the way a certain number of people felt when they saw the OS Giken heads become "available", or when photos of the LY heads started to surface, and that someone, somewhere, somehow, something was breathing other-wordly new life into the Z car. Just its existence and the fact that it's operating now makes me really happy.

congrats on not giving up and seeing it through and sharing the process with us in fine detail. any paypal account I can send a beer (or non-alcoholic beverage) to? or perhaps put it towards an adapter plate to give it a 6 speed trans? hehehe

Edited by Careless

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

How much has the header moved after a few heat cycles?

The intake noise is awesome. It sounds really smooth too, especially for a "rough start". Can't way to see a plug read and some more tuning!

Yea it is really growley. I have a pretty good mike. I'll try and get a Wave file recorded. The Iphone doesn't do it justice.

I ended up milling the flange. 

20170707041121-84e9ecba-me.jpg

As soon as I saw it would fit with the doors closed it was a no brainer.  Took 6 hours or so because it was not a rigid setup at all so I had to nibble.

20170707041134-52c301ec-me.jpg

Made for a nice fit.

20170707041139-fed9a037-me.jpg

congrats on not giving up and seeing it through and sharing the process with us in fine detail. any paypal account I can send a beer (or non-alcoholic beverage) to? or perhaps put it towards an adapter plate to give it a 6 speed trans? hehehe

Thanks for the thought. Donate to Hybridz if you like. 

The transmission will not be long for this world. The 6 speed is a tasty looking  conversion. Hoke needs to make it happen or others might:) I don't need a 6 speed but I'm a sucker for the  "These go to 11" mentality.

Which is why I built a twin cam head. I didn't need one of those either.

Edited by Derek

Amazing Derek. I have shown this build to many engineering friends and they always say ya that's cool but they always came up with a reason it won't work. Well I always said "You don't know Derek". How long till you get to drive it?

Well if there is a will....And enough money.

I'm not going to drive it until I have everything dialed in. I want that first run to be as stress free as it can be. I'm going to take the time to rewire the Megasquirt relay board like I have been meaning to do for the last 4 or 5 years. Moving the intake to the right side made space over there a premium.  I also have to work out the throttle cable and vacuum system. At least a week but probably two.