HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

Feeling better about it every time I run it. Ran it up to operating temp twice today without any hiccups. Got the idle area of my fuel dialed in a lot better so I'm no longer dumping copious amounts of gas in there. It reduced the loping quite a bit. Things are starting to settle in nicely. 

I'm in a industrial complex and naturally most of my neighbors know what I'm up to. I was talking to one of them who has a classic car resto shop. He was commenting on how good it sounded from his place. I mentioned that I hope it wasn't as noisy when I get it on the road and he replied " it will be better when it's not an open header" To which I said it's running through a resonator and a muffler already.

Between the exhaust and the induction noise it's really loud at 5000 rpm:) 

But it's a good loud.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Feeling better about it every time I run it. Ran it up to operating temp twice today without any hiccups. Got the idle area of my fuel dialed in a lot better so I'm no longer dumping copious amounts of gas in there. It reduced the loping quite a bit. Things are starting to settle in nicely.

I'm in a industrial complex and naturally most of my neighbors know what I'm up to. I was talking to one of them who has a classic car resto shop. He was commenting on how good it sounded from his place. I mentioned that I hope it wasn't as noisy when I get it on the road and he replied " it will be better when it's not an open header" To which I said it's running through a resonator and a muffler already.

Between the exhaust and the induction noise it's really loud at 5000 rpm:)

But it's a good loud.

What's the run time at now?

And I like to think AC/DC got it right in singing Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution!!! This is rock and roll baby!

Keep going Derek!!

Edited by KenmeriRacer

What's the run time at now?

And I like to think AC/DC got it right in singing Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution!!! This is rock and roll baby!

Keep going Derek!!

Thunderstruck  

Is the song I'd have playing in my Z during the 1st drive with this badazz motor!!   :cheers: 

Ok so need to sell a lot of parts lol.... anybody interested in high end l28 turbo parts let me know because i think i have to buy a new head now !! I keep listening to that video trying to imagine what its going to sound like doing a high Rpm run down the street !

Derek I just put the deposit down on 73 240z with a new rebuilt L28 short block. I'm rearing and ready to go waiting for this. It's come such a long way and I'm glad we were able to come along on this journey with you. Can't wait!

Now that's what I call commitment:)

Update time.

It didn't break yet. 

So my routine is bring it up to temp with varying RPMs, turn on the auto tune function in Tuner Studio and then hold it in a RPM range while it does it's thing.  I turn it off and let it cool down then pull the valve cover to look for problems. So far things are surprisingly nice. Looks like I'm getting decent lube. No wear on the lobes. No "grey oil" seeping from the rotating surfaces. I did this three times today. The last time I held it at 4000 RPM for 3 or 4 minutes and it was smooth as silk. 

I probably have about an hour and a half on it all told. I'm feeling pretty good so far but we all know that can change in the blink of an eye. Work is picking up a bit so it will be a few days before I can make any major moves towards driving it.

Hey Derek. 

I'm stoked at your progress.

are you planning on doing any individual cylinder tuning (although unless you have the fancy megasquirt, and multiple o2 sensors) not certain it's possible)?  I'm asking because of the 6 pick ups being closer or farther from the car's body.  that said, i'm not certain it's entirely necessary. 

Quick question about the rest of the engine.. is it stock, or almost stock?  did you do any mods that would otherwise influence the power?  I'm saying that because i'm curious as to the gains to be made by simply bolting the head on to a stock engine.  

finally, I'm curious about you running it without load.   a lot of people say not to rev an engine without load.  I looked it up quickly, and I've not found a basis for this, except for revving it till you hit or pass the redline.  Now i know you're not going to blow it by over revving (then again i'd be curious as to what over-revving this head would be;  at what RPM would you expect valve float to start? same as with the original honda head?)..  

i'm looking for reassurance about the safety of the procedure, not saying it's ba; I still am not informed enough to have an opinion. 

as to the idea of auto-tuning like that, it's pretty smart.  Better than waiting for the thaw.  I wish my car worked well enough o be able to do that!

can't wait to hear about your first drive!

keep up the good work!

Edited by supernova_6969

I don't know about revving without a load. I thought about it but if it breaks I'd rather have it go while it's parked in the bay. 4000 RPM is the highest I'm going with it without a load regardless. The auto tune with no load is really crude. But it's closer than me guessing. 

No fancy tuning setup other than I'm hiring a professional to tune it. At this point I think it will be money well spent.

The motor is a .040 over with flat top pistons. I calculated the CR to be in the 8.5:1 range so it's not going to set the world on fire.

The first sale is to a friend of mine. He currently has a Rebello stroker kit in a very well prepped block and head. That build will be, replace the pistons with custom 11.5:1 CR and basically a clone of my head but with all new springs, valves, rockers. We are going to dyno before and after and that should give a pretty good comparison. 

I don't know about revving without a load. I thought about it but if it breaks I'd rather have it go while it's parked in the bay. 4000 RPM is the highest I'm going with it without a load regardless. The auto tune with no load is really crude. But it's closer than me guessing. 

No fancy tuning setup other than I'm hiring a professional to tune it. At this point I think it will be money well spent.

The motor is a .040 over with flat top pistons. I calculated the CR to be in the 8.5:1 range so it's not going to set the world on fire.

The first sale is to a friend of mine. He currently has a Rebello stroker kit in a very well prepped block and head. That build will be, replace the pistons with custom 11.5:1 CR and basically a clone of my head but with all new springs, valves, rockers. We are going to dyno before and after and that should give a pretty good comparison. 

I hope you will do a blog about the build.. or at least on here (hybridz.org)

Nigel

Edited by Noddle