HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Derek have you been doing some R&D on the side you haven't been telling us about?  Apparently "the fastest Datsun ever" has been found - possibly a Datsun Maxima so we know he must be running your head.  Inquiring minds want to know.....

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local/chase-from-belfair-ends-when-car-gives-out-2e728422-495c-530b-e053-0100007fc456-372817481.html

Be careful Tony. I thought it was open source as well but it's just open to modifications and you are paying a licensing fee with each kit you buy. I was asking about running the MS firmware/software on another platform and got told :)

What was the source of your kit?

Mine was B&G Group Buy 2 on an MS1, far as I know at that point, it was all open sourced. 

I haven't bought anything since 2002, and that's what it was at that time. Only thing locked down was circuit board design...

I buy mine through diyautotune.com It probably started out as open source as you said but I guess now it's licenced. They also have a "Pro" version which is $390 more than the MS3X with the exact same capability with the exception of a weather proof case with weather proof connectors.

I buy mine through diyautotune.com It probably started out as open source as you said but I guess now it's licenced. They also have a "Pro" version which is $390 more than the MS3X with the exact same capability with the exception of a weather proof case with weather proof connectors.

Careful what you assume, diyautotune themselves recommend silicon on the connector if you actually expect a wet environment (which is what they did for their fish tank display).

Sorry in advance for the topic side chain.

The CPU side has never been open source, the software/firmware has been in the past. The last open source firmware was the ms2. MS3 forward is free to modify, but strictly not allowed to be redistributed. They've gotten MUCH tighter on the hardware side, largely because there's people making Chinese knock offs and there's no guarantee as to the components they're using.

That said, its still the most flexible platform for the price that the average electronics geek can get running/working. If you want something truly open and deeper geek level, check out rusefi.

Also regarding ms3pro, the boards aren't exactly the same features as a ms3x with the 3.57 board. So people should really do thier homework before deciding, which is my largest beef with the MS product world, unclear definitive documentation.

I combat Feature Bloat...MS1 running Magnus' MS-n-Se!

I figure the 8X8 map was fine for a stock Z, the 12X12 in MSnS was like "wow" compared to the old AFC or even ECCS.

It passes smog, good 'nuf fer me! I'm in need of nothing fancy!

Careful what you assume, diyautotune themselves recommend silicon on the connector if you actually expect a wet environment (which is what they did for their fish tank display).

Sorry in advance for the topic side chain.

The CPU side has never been open source, the software/firmware has been in the past. The last open source firmware was the ms2. MS3 forward is free to modify, but strictly not allowed to be redistributed. They've gotten MUCH tighter on the hardware side, largely because there's people making Chinese knock offs and there's no guarantee as to the components they're using.

That said, its still the most flexible platform for the price that the average electronics geek can get running/working. If you want something truly open and deeper geek level, check out rusefi.

Also regarding ms3pro, the boards aren't exactly the same features as a ms3x with the 3.57 board. So people should really do thier homework before deciding, which is my largest beef with the MS product world, unclear definitive documentation.

Perhaps "essentially the same" would be better wording :)

Yes - do your homework was the emphasis here. I see little value for the extra $390 performance and feature wise of the MS Pro vs the MS3X

Not exactly $390 diff. With the pro, you also get the real time clock ($65), knock module ($85), and a registered copy of tunerstudio ($60). That's just $180 for a weatherproof product with better connectors and the additional products pre-installed (no additional work). The only downside for me is the internal sd card. Downloading logs can be time consuming.

Ah when I asked Matt about the differences he didn't mention those - thanks for the info. Personally those aren't options that hold much value to me with the possible exception of the knock module since I already have a copy of Tuner Studio and for the majority of people the unregistered version of TS does 99% of what you would need. With a proper tune and good gas there is no need for a knock sensor.

Is there a waiting list to get one of these, or just built to order eventually?

I have a list of people who I have been communicating via hybridZ PMs. It ebbs and flows as peoples situations change. V2 is sold to a friend of mine locally and will be the baseline for machining costs. So far castings costs should be holding to my original estimate. After V2 is done if no one is ready to buy then I will do one more casting and put it on the shelf and see what happens from there.

PM me if you want to be on the "pioneer" list:)

• 2 weeks later...

Derek, your avatar still shows that old dinosaur head.

Yes but it has my manifold so that makes it ok. I'll update it at some point:)

Any progress with setup Derek?

Got just over 300 miles on it with zero issues. Multiple 7000 RPM first and second gear runs. No new valve train noises. Got a few oil weeps but that doesn't surprise me. Minor stuff that won't apply to V2. Daily driving it. Hasn't broken down a single time.  Get up in the morning and it fires right up. Jeff has the Megasquirt working well.  I don't want to put a ton of time tuning just yet as things are still very fluid.

Trying to get a decent video but it's tough without the right equipment. I finally bought a mike adapter for the iphone so I can use an external microphone.

I'm mostly just enjoying it. It's not the fastest right now but it's a blast to drive and sounds great. 

Derek

It's good to hear that there are no "worry points" popping up in the daily driving. How is the exhaust looking? Any sootmarks or cracking?

Nope. No problems at all.

Gasket is still sealing, the pipes have a nice amber dark blue color. no issues at this point. No leaks that I can see. Sure is nice having the exhaust on the opposite side of the induction. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't had time to get any video done. Been a little busy with this:

20170707041217-6c91af54-me.jpg

This is V2 of the head and most likely the production version. The major changes are:

I now have the water exiting over each exhaust port and flowing into a central tube. This is the same way OSG and others do it. I opted to try and make it part of the casting to save the cost of making a separate water manifold. Plus it's a really good example of how versatile 3D sand printing is. The outlet is designed to be tapped 1 1/4" NPT but you could easily weld something on instead. 

I added a rear sump for the oil to drain into the stock oil return. This will do away with the external drain tube that I'm currently using. 

I bridged the rear cam tower boss and added a connecter between the back of the head and the tower. This is where the rear oil feed will go.

I redesigned the combustion area so that it has plenty of meat for those who want to get creative.

There are a ton of little changes that reflect things I ran into during the machining of the prototype.

Here is a great shot that shows 3 of the upgrades. The sump, the feeder boss and one of the water exit ports.

20170707041214-4b98fd0b-me.jpg

Here is the combustion area. The sand is really rough because I went a little overboard blowing out the loose sand. It all get's machined anyway.

20170707041211-6bec70f7-me.jpg

Water outlet and core print in the front of the tube. The core prints are designed to be tapped 3/4" NPT so that one could be uses for a sensor.

20170707041200-20298f7a-me.jpg

Now I have to get it in the mill for machining!

Derek

Edited by Derek