HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

Guys, guys, guys...

Forget about di and mpi.   Thats the past. 

Derek, you need to work out a head that does what the mazda skyactiveX will do: sparkless ignition like the diesels. 

Shouldn't take you too long to mod a few things here and there.  

I'll hold your beer while you do it. Although you might want to drink it to prevent headaches...

V3 manifolds finished

Finished up the manifolds for V3. These were tricky because the owner of V3 decided to make my life miserable tilt the motor the opposite direction. He did this for looks plus he wanted to gain some distance for his induction system. I did a quick check on the 3D model and it looked doable.

Trunnion plate on the 4th axis comes in handy for this kind of stuff. DCOE pattern matched to 48mm.

20180315142324-bf4faeae-me.jpg

Made a quick fixture/index plate to locate off of the DCOE flange. I find most people prefer that their carbs/ITBs line up when they are bolted to the manifold:) Port matched to the head and o-ringed.  Rebello will blend the port match into the manifold. Since every build is different I figured the best way to handle it is to cast it a little smaller and then blend as necessary. The ripple pattern you see is from the 3D printed sand. There are certain angles where the layers on 3D printed items are fairly pronounced.  I was surprised how well everything worked considering the manifold casting is 180 degrees out from it’s intended angle.

I kind of cheated this shot. The manifold has already been through the vibratory finisher so this is the final finish. I threw it back in the fixture to get the picture.

20180315133048-ed4532d9-me.jpg

All done and looking pretty!

20180315132923-9eff6896-me.jpg

Added a rib in the center so that if people have drop link type linkage they can mount the risers to it.

20180315142821-e40321ce-me.jpg

Manifold looks a little fugly in this shot but it really isn’t:) This is the last of the V3 stuff so Rebello should be good to go at this point.

On 15/03/2018 at 2:51 AM, Tony D said:

Are there aftermarket ECU's and Injectors currently available for DI applications?

This is barely being touched in the OEM market at this time, do you have access to these required parts, and if so could you provide a link? Conversion is not that difficult if parts are available.

True there are fewer and very expensive DI options (Bosch and Motec I believe have some ECUs) there are also some drawbacks to the design in general. I suppose I should modify my question to a matter of in-head injector ports rather than manifold ports (for example, a VVT Ecotec head) just to simply the manifold, and make it easier for custom fabrication. As said, it is already done, I was curious if there is any particular reason behined the selection (in that respect) or if it was just because, of the huge Honda aftermarket. 

Regardless, it looks great so far.

I was trying to consider ways that might keep costs down on a custom head, being able to install an existing (or slightly modified) camshaft or manifold design would be significant. Again, it is almost certainly too late for that now.

7 hours ago, Ineptitude01 said:

Reading this thread finally pushed me into getting another S30 shell. It doesn't have an engine, so... Obviously I should RB swap, right? :flamedevi

Where is the fun in that:)

49 minutes ago, supernova_6969 said:

Ineptitude..  if this thread is what got you going, then the answer is obvious:  a L28 with a set of heads from Derek..  

:2thumbs:

Sorry, my attempts at tongue-in-cheek humor don't read well on the internet. :P

I love this head, I love this thread, and I'm watching for the "public" release date. Derek (and anyone else) should feel free to correct me if I'm totally off base, but my assumption from looking at the V3 builds posted so far is that it's still pretty bespoke, and there isn't really a 'standard' or 'turnkey' config. Though, these manifolds are drool-worthy and answer one of the big questions I had. I really enjoy the idea of this head in a "modern" 432-inspired build. RB engines are so last-season, anyways. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ineptitude01 said:

isn't really a 'standard' or 'turnkey' config.

I'm not sure there will ever be a turn key solution. In some ways this is a real plus because you end up with a head and valve train that is tailored to your goals. Hopefully a few other builders other than Rebello will jump in and then there will be more choices. I think it's appealing to Rebello  because getting an L6 head to flow enough volume to support a 3.5L can be challenging.

The owner of V2 has a 3.0L and his requirements are a lot different.   From a production standpoint  I've made all the changes to the head that I plan to make so the next batch should go a lot smoother.  Hopefully these four will move quickly so I can get busy on the next batch. Rebellos firm on two heads and possibly a third.  

All five casting passed the final pressure test at 75PSI and that is the point at which I can start relaxing a bit. I still have to sweat out the finishing of the cams and hopefully at that point I'll sleep a little better:)

VCT cams should be in my hands next week so I'll be able to start mocking up the gears and chains. Fun fun fun!

Derek

Valve cover powder coated.

I had powder-coated.com do the powder coating on my new valve cover. Same color as V1. Excellent quality as usual.

20180325084242-016b2247-me.jpg

I’m a bit away from needing a finished valve cover but never underestimate the value in having it for motivation:)

20180325083615-1b201af9-me.jpg

So this is the big change I made to mine. This is to hold a mounting plate for the VCT sensor. Since it requires a special setup on the millI I only plan on making this mod on VCT specific builds or on special requests.

20180325083639-a83e62ef-me.jpg

Hi Nigel. Good catch. Yes for sure. As soon as I saw what was going on I plotted out the valve cover o-ring tool path and the .125" o-ring runs right across it. The valve cover fits on the mount bolts really well so there won't be any shift.  I really really really hate welding on the castings after they have been impregnated so I opted to go another way.  If it doesn't seal an epoxy repair up in that corner will work fine. 

This is always the toughest part. Making the compromises.  

Owner of V3 sent me an update picture.

20180327060958-9c608cd9-me.jpg

Pretty freaking cool if you ask me.

20180327061040-e7f6dca7-me.jpg

I checked the 3D model and tilted the amount they did the intake side of the water jacket is just below the outlet so hopefully there won't be any steam pocket issues.

Snifff....I'm so proud:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek said:

Owner of V3 sent me an update picture.

20180327060958-9c608cd9-me.jpg

Pretty freaking cool if you ask me.

20180327061040-e7f6dca7-me.jpg

I checked the 3D model and tilted the amount they did the intake side of the water jacket is just below the outlet so hopefully there won't be any steam pocket issues.

Snifff....I'm so proud:)

So freaking cool! Congrats

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:45 PM, Leon said:

That's a C10 Skyline with a GTR airbox.

Looks great!

One might say it's got a better engine in it now that what any GTR ever had!

Isn't is nice how the intake ports just happen to line up with the factory S20 Aircleaner? 

Must be blind dumb luck...right? LOL

I REALLY like that valve cover...

Edited by Tony D

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

One might say it's got a better engine in it now that what any GTR ever had!

An amazing feat considering it's not even running yet...

Have you been eating too much cheese again Tony?