HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

14 minutes ago, rturbo 930 said:

There's an article about the KN20 head on Road and Track

You beat me to it :)  It was a lot better than I was expecting and mostly accurate. I'm glad they kept the HybridZ origins in there and a link to the page also.

I’m sure OSHA would have no complaints with anything in this picture:)IMG_3537.jpeg.de062c1cd9b7dfdaeb376721f3638f98.jpeg

Now that I have a surfacer I’ve decided to play around with CC’ing chambers after I make my final pass.   When I originally modeled the chamber in 3D I left a 1mm straight wall plus machine allowance for the builder. The reason for that was to create a known steady surface area if you wanted to really dial in the chamber volume. A .010” surface cut will remove approximately 1.3 CC’s.  The problem is Even though there are seats in the head you can’t put valves in since the guides are not sized and even if you could  they would sit proud of the seat since they are not angle cut. So I machined out some plastic plugs to sit as close as I could to flush with the seat face.

IMG_3536.jpeg.ef7a8ecb74e1354c37418db602be2ce1.jpeg

Not perfect but it's as close as I'm going to get. 

IMG_3539.jpeg.72d7707f9c9e020e998f2054f6c5be87.jpeg

I almost look like I know what I'm doing :)  Actually this isn't part of my normal operations so I'm still in the "get fluid everywhere but where you want it" mode.

IMG_3538.jpeg.1b0b685ac40a8bd96e647e8abc4aaedb.jpeg

Right now the math is following pretty closely to the actual measured chamber size.  Not sure what my ultimate goal is since I have no plans on hitting a target CC when it leaves the shop.  Ideally in my thinking you would do the valves and make your final surface cut and CC the chambers. Then you would order pistons designed to meet your CR goals. The problem is that can add months to a build.  I’m basically grabbing data to see how much variance there is from head to head.  I think that ordering pistons based on a certain CC chamber and then have the builder surface and CC to dial it in will be the safest approach.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just returned from a vacation in California.  While there I went over and talked to Deve Rebello.  I know you work with him on these heads.  A short talk with him sold me on your Datsunworks head over the OS Giken head.  Keep up the good work!

4 hours ago, Derek said:

Thanks.

You can't beat the Honda valve train parts and engineering. 

Hey Derek. Have you heard of Mountune here in Southern California? Their principal Ken Anderson said he was working with Zcargarage up in San Jose on one of your heads. Just curious about who you are collaborating with. Keep up the great work! 

On 12/5/2022 at 7:36 AM, AydinZ71 said:

Hey Derek. Have you heard of Mountune here in Southern California? Their principal Ken Anderson said he was working with Zcargarage up in San Jose on one of your heads. Just curious about who you are collaborating with. Keep up the great work! 

Zcar posts about Datsunworks heads fairly often, they have one car running it.  The videos are magical sounding.  

On 12/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, DuffyMahoney said:

Zcar posts about Datsunworks heads fairly often, they have one car running it.  The videos are magical sounding.  

Indeed :) I have seen the vids of Rob ripping on it in the streets near his shop. Curious how Mountune may be involved just because it’s a little closer to home (they are in socal like me). 

Sure would be nice with crank fired ignition, coil on plug and 50 mm ITB's and a nice ceramic coated header. :) Have Dave Rebello build me a 3.2 variant with an offset ground V07, use an early sleeved block. ;)  Only thing nicer would be an aluminum block, and those don't exist.

Edited by A to Z