HybridZ

Twin cam head for the L6 from Derek at Datsunworks

Derek

again, hijacking.   about that awesome sound.  I have a turbo car, and i'm thinking there is no way, even if I change the headers and the turbo-back to the same as yours or so, that I can achieve a similar sound because of the turbo acts as a kind of muffler....

is that right or am I mistaken?  I don't know much, it's my first experience with turbos... 

Boy that will make for one helluva combination with a Rebello bottom end. I haven't seen much from them lately, did they move forward with the stroker crank they were working on? Supposed to make for a 3.34 liter build if I remember right.

I'm not really sure on that. My talks with Rebello have been about V2. He's a busy guy so bench racing on the phone hasn't happened much:)

Yeah, my RB25 with ITBs sounds nothing like that. I don't have the duration of cams this engine has though.

I blew past my shop neighbor  the other day during a first gear second gear romp. He's a longtime Porsche guy. He described it as a cross between an hot rod V8 and an old 930:)  Whatever that means. It's got a hellava growl coming off of idle for sure.

again, hijacking.   about that awesome sound.  I have a turbo car, and i'm thinking there is no way, even if I change the headers and the turbo-back to the same as yours or so, that I can achieve a similar sound because of the turbo acts as a kind of muffler....

is that right or am I mistaken?  I don't know much, it's my first experience with turbos... 

You can fit what I know about turbos in between these lines     l they go boom l  Someone else will need to chime in.

Yes, more video. Drive by, take off, etc. Honestly, I don't think you could possibly take too much video.

Regarding the vintage sound, i wonder if it's because there's no variable valve timing system. I've heard a video of an S54 with no VANOS, and it sounds much meaner, although it still doesn't sound like this motor does, and still sounds newish to me.

Edited by rturbo 930

A lot of this is really dependent on the recording equipment used. I had terrible results until I got a decent microphone for my iphone.  The recording I posted is the closest to the actual sound so far. 

The M3 sounds a bit poppier and like you said modern.

I'll try and get some drive by footage soon but I am slammed right now with projects. The areas close to my shop are not well suited for that type of video. 

The owner of V2 has a set of Mikuni 44's he wants to try and run. Unfortunately the manifold pattern I have from mine is too long. Downloaded a DCOE model from Grabcad. Thanks ATS. I'm only using the basic shell but ATS did a great job on it. I added a K&N air filter to it to make sure that at least some sort of filtration can be used.  I'm adding bosses so a drop link style linkage can be used. Tight freeking fit.

20170707042123-4a20a594-me.jpg

Just read the last 55 pages, holy shit what a project. Amazing work, kudos. And congrats on getting it running so well.

Thanks

Edited by Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's back in the barn finally. Everything looks great and now I can get back on finishing off all of the rest of the stuff. Ran my 1.25" gauge rod through the towers. A little snug but I'll wait on the cams to get here before I do any honing.

And naturally I'm super slammed with pattern work right now. 

20170707042054-206449fe-me.jpg

Edited by Derek

It's like Christmas in February!

20170707042057-df5b95de-me.jpg

Cams showed up from Schneider today. Did a test fit and I'm able to spin them by hand. The thrust faces are a hair tight so I'm going to loosen them up a bit. Other than that they feel great. I have to stuff a crank in my mockup motor and then I can get started on the timing chain.

Your just going to have to rearrange your priorities - you need to think about your Z fans !!

That's the tough part. I have to walk past it during the day and it's hard not to get distracted.

Edited by Derek

The nice thing about owning a thread like this is I get to post off topic stuff and I know it will get seen:)

Any 510 owners in the central Florida/Georgia/south Florida area following this? Please send me a PM if you can help me out with a question I have.

Thanks

Derek

• Like 1

I got to ask on that mikuni/weber pattern... is the mounting face set so the flange is 5 degrees up, when mounted on the engine in the car?

Technically that is how they are supposed to be for the floats to work correctly, on an ITB it won't make a difference. It appears angled, but can't tell if it's to make the  carbs horizontal, or 5 degrees up from horizontal when in the  car...

I can be so difficult at times.

44s? argh. way small. gonna strangle that head with those baby carbs!

Edited by Tony D

I got to ask on that mikuni/weber pattern... is the mounting face set so the flange is 5 degrees up, when mounted on the engine in the car?

Yea. The initial design has them at +5 degrees. The flange on the manifold is thick enough to tweak it a bit if needed. 

44s? argh. way small. gonna strangle that head with those baby carbs!

Time will tell!  Rebello seems to think it's worth trying. May not make ultimate power but my customer is OK with that for now.  I'm of the same mind in that the manifolds will accept larger carb/itb setups. The owner wants to go with the Heritage ITB's at some point but since he has no injection now it's a pretty expensive proposition when you add up all the stuff he would need to buy.  

Edited by Derek

• 2 weeks later...

So this is what my car looks like right now.

20170707042100-74c74f08-me.jpg

Actually it's part of a scheduled tear down and inspection.  I have around 4200 miles on it. There is some burnishing where the roller meets the lobe. The cam bearing journals are burnished like the used cam towers but no galling.

The main reason for the teardown was to rework the lower timing chain. Ever since I converted it from my first version that used the L6 guides to the second version that used the KA24 guides I've had an irritating chain noise at idle. At this point I'm pretty sure it was too much slack in the tensioning system.  I had already decided to try and implement a curved tension rail to help reduce harmonics. After a bit of screwing around I threw in the towel and designed my own.

Here is a shot of the finished piece on V2. It’s made from nylon 66. I found some references to people making custom guides with it on the internet.

20170707042102-2bfd2ff7-me.jpg

I made a steel plate that bolts to the existing rail holes. I inset the plate into the back of the guide for extra strength.

20170707042106-1e5048ec-me.jpg

I also pressed in bushings to keep it from crushing and loosening up.

20170707042108-5b422eb7-me.jpg

And here’s how many iterations it took to get it the way I wanted.

20170707042112-b214dc63-me.jpg

And that's how the sausage gets made:)
Edited by Derek
  • Like 1