HybridZ

Anyone used LED Headlights before?

KTMStrawn

I recently installed these in an H4 7" headlight shells:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271536238885?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I chose these because the cooling fins will fit within the headlight buckets. I did have to mount the ballast and connectors outside the bucket. Another reason for these were the MKR chips that are significantly brighter than others.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody compare the light output / distribution of these LED bulbs to Hella H4s?  The best light I've had so far has been with the Hella lamps and 100 watt halogen bulbs.  If I can get the same output with LEDs, I'd love to make the switch.  

Actually I found the H4 shells at a Carlisle Event they hold twice a year in Zephyrhills FL. You should be able to find them at any such meet.

Comparing to HID lights in modern cars, the newer models have a sharper upper boundary on their light pattern but these will easily light road signs more than a 1/4 mile away. And no one has flashed me to lower my beams yet.

All in all, I'm satisfied and like the classic look.

• 2 weeks later...

The truck lights and all of the LED headlamps will bolt right on.

Most of the lights are the dual reflective design but there's a few unique ones. Numerous tests have rated JWSpeaker the best of all of them (also the most expensive).

Different brands that make LED headlamps:  Trucklite, JWSpeaker, Peterbilt, Phillips, KC, Phase 7, GE, Maxxima, etc... It goes on and on.

But... I'm biased so go Dapper Lighting :)

• 2 weeks later...

The truck lights and all of the LED headlamps will bolt right on.

I have to admit, the design of these perplexes me.  How could it work, with the emitters on the side?  Seems like it would be difficult to get a good beam pattern unless the lamp reflectors were specifically designed to bounce the light out to the world. 

Pictures of your setup would be great.

Actually I found the H4 shells at a Carlisle Event they hold twice a year in Zephyrhills FL. You should be able to find them at any such meet.

Comparing to HID lights in modern cars, the newer models have a sharper upper boundary on their light pattern but these will easily light road signs more than a 1/4 mile away. And no one has flashed me to lower my beams yet.

All in all, I'm satisfied and like the classic look.