HybridZ

Best Option for Engine Management on LS Swap

Hi everyone,

I am new to the HybridZ community, but I have been a lurker for a while now. I've begun the planning phase of swapping a modified LS7 into my 240Z. I have most of the build planned out, but I am stuck on what the best option is for engine management. I know there has been success with both OEM computers as well as aftermarket systems. I suppose my question revolves around what is needed to successfully integrate an LS motor from an electronics standpoint, and are there any serious limitations on using an OEM Computer/Harness setup?

Also, if I missed the relevant threads in my searches, I apologize and hope you all are kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance...

Edited by LS7

Holley dominator all the way. Tons of online support and lots of people runnig them. Myself and a friend got my Engine up and running very quickly (an hour) once everything was plugged up correctly. It really is amazing how easy it is to use. Plus it is self tunning. With that said an OEM computer is fine to use. with the use of HPtuners and a tuner there isn't a whole lot you can't do with an OEM ecu

Edited by thezguy

Hi everyone,

I am new to the HybridZ community, but I have been a lurker for a while now. I've begun the planning phase of swapping a modified LS7 into my 240Z. I have most of the build planned out, but I am stuck on what the best option is for engine management. I know there has been success with both OEM computers as well as aftermarket systems. I suppose my question revolves around what is needed to successfully integrate an LS motor from an electronics standpoint, and are there any serious limitations on using an OEM Computer/Harness setup?

Also, if I missed the relevant threads in my searches, I apologize and hope you all are kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance...

The OEM ECU is pretty well hacked, but doesn't deliver some of the features you can get with a decent standalone like individual cylinder tuning or various race features like timing retard from launch. The OEM wiring harness ties into a lot of things and needs some pretty extensive reworking for a swap.

I'm a bit biased as a forum sponsor :P but an MS3-Pro ought to work great on this motor. I'm using one on an LS swapped '72 Chevy pickup myself.

I really appreciate the constructive responses.

The OEM ECU is pretty well hacked, but doesn't deliver some of the features you can get with a decent standalone like individual cylinder tuning or various race features like timing retard from launch. The OEM wiring harness ties into a lot of things and needs some pretty extensive reworking for a swap.

I'm a bit biased as a forum sponsor :P but an MS3-Pro ought to work great on this motor. I'm using one on an LS swapped '72 Chevy pickup myself.

Matt -- are there any true restrictions with the MS3-Pro when compared to using a stock computer? Does any OBDII functionality remain? Also, does it support drive by wire or only mechanical throttle linkages?

I'm really between the MS3 and going the stock route at the moment. Can anyone else give experiences with either and any drawbacks they found to either system?

Thanks Again

Holley dominator all the way. Tons of online support and lots of people runnig them. Myself and a friend got my Engine up and running very quickly (an hour) once everything was plugged up correctly. It really is amazing how easy it is to use. Plus it is self tunning. With that said an OEM computer is fine to use. with the use of HPtuners and a tuner there isn't a whole lot you can't do with an OEM ecu

How do you think the Holly Dominator's self-tune ended up compared to what a manual tune would do? I'm curious as to whether or not you think there is power/driveability left on the table...

Matt -- are there any true restrictions with the MS3-Pro when compared to using a stock computer? Does any OBDII functionality remain? Also, does it support drive by wire or only mechanical throttle linkages?

I'm really between the MS3 and going the stock route at the moment. Can anyone else give experiences with either and any drawbacks they found to either system?

Thanks Again

Not exactly related, but I came from an L28ET swap where I was using a Wolf V500 standalone to the OEM PCM after converting to an LS.  I sorely miss the standalone compared the OE PCM.  The OE is very large/bulky/cumbersome compared to the new standalones.  Tuning the OE PCM is a PITA compared to Megasquirt or Wolf/Haltech, etc., at least in my opinion.  The tables in the OE PCM are not straight-forward either compared to a standalone.  However, the OE is setup for a manufacturer that must comply with emission standards, etc. and provide OBD-II diagnostics which drives much of the nonsense (IMHO) in the PCM.

A standalone does not have the OBD-II nonsense and the car will run regardless of any "code" issue.  In my Wolf setup, I only needed a MAP and CAS sensor for the car to run since the fueling and spark table referenced MAP.  Saying that, the OBD-II does help tremendously when diagnosing issues if you are not familiar with logging and evaluating said logs.

In my opinion, if you think you will go standalone in the future, do it now.  The harness would have to be completely torn apart if you went OE first and then converted to a standalone later.  You could try to use a pin-out diagram for the two large connectors that connect to the PCM if you did not want to disassemble the harness, but I would not go that route.

Edited by ktm

How do you think the Holly Dominator's self-tune ended up compared to what a manual tune would do? I'm curious as to whether or not you think there is power/driveability left on the table...

None what so ever. The dominator has as much/little control that you give it. The dominator is able to hold damn near perfect numbers across the board. Not to mention the safety features it has.

You don't say what the car will be used for but unless it's a cheap job a good aftermarket ECU is always a good investment, just make sure that there is a dyno tuner available who is familiar with the ECU you choose. Don't know what the release date for the Haltech Elite is in the US but it should be soon. The other thing is a good aftermarket ECU is always saleable by itself. The  tune itself will release more power from a standard engine, for a serious performance car it's the sensible way to go.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My turbo / stock 5.3 setup was making over 750hp to the ground, and it drove amazing. I could pull hills with a trailer behind my car at 1200rpm in 6th gear. Its all in the combo.

Thanks Again

The MS3-Pro does not have true OBD2 support, but if you're looking to stream the data to a dash gauge, there's some options here:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_displays_and_dataloggers.html

It does have a Check Engine function that can detect many common sensor failures and has some limp home capabilities.

MS3-Pro would require a cable operated throttle and does not control an automatic transmission. We do have some separate options for trans control if needed.