HybridZ

245 tires without flared fenders?

225/50/15 all four with zero offset 15x7 and you avoid a lot of hassle and spend more time on the track. How much faster do you really think the larger tire will make you vs the hassle?

Every little bit helps. Especially in autocross. I see my main "rival" as the Subaru BRZ. Roughly the same power, a little more weight but those suckers have 4.11's stock! And don't have to worry about syncing and tuning triple Mikunis :|

The 205 Dunlop Direzza Z2's I'm running this season just look downright ridiculous. Way too small, you can tell from a glance. The 225 Yoko's rubbed, but I'm told my car right now has some sort of Mustang wheel, and I'm guessing the offset and/or backspacing is off. I have been seeing 0 offset as a really reliable "right" figure for wheels, so I suspect backspacing is the key.

Car has Tokico Illumina's, going to convert over to Ground control coilover's before next season. I plan on buying new wheels are tires anyways, so I'm trying to maximize my value, get the most out of the money I'm spending. anything above 245 would be ridiculously awesome, but I'm trying to stay realistic and not bite off more than i can chew- 245's on a 16" rim is the goal. 245/25/16's means I'm likely going to run some sort of Proxes or the Bridgestone Ponteza RE-11's. Running a 17" rim would let me stay with the Direzza Z2's (I really like them) and really open up a whole slew of options.

I would like to go with a 9" wide rim if possible. 8" minimum.

I guess the magic numbers here are offset and backspace figures?

post-44261-0-65882700-1412820943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Newoldschool

225/50/15 all four with zero offset 15x7 and you avoid a lot of hassle and spend more time on the track. How much faster do you really think the larger tire will make you vs the hassle?

For me personally its strictly about the look. My 205s look pathetic from the rear of the car.. like bicycle tires. 

I have Enkei PF01 wheels. Fronts are 17x8 with a 45mm offset and 10mm spacers. Rears are 17x9 with a 48mm offset. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, 245/40ZR-17 front and 265/40ZR-17 rear. I have Modern Motorsports Z31 5 lug aluminum front hubs and a Techno Toy Tuning rear setup for an R230 with 5 lug Z23 turbo hubs and axles. I have custom made adjustable control arms front and rear so this may have moved the wheel mounting face from the stock location. Wheel wells and fender lips are stock. See picture for one view on how it looks.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ 

post-116-0-29447400-1412914334_thumb.jpg

I have Enkei PF01 wheels. Fronts are 17x8 with a 45mm offset and 10mm spacers. Rears are 17x9 with a 48mm offset. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, 245/40ZR-17 front and 265/40ZR-17 rear. I have Modern Motorsports Z31 5 lug aluminum front hubs and a Techno Toy Tuning rear setup for an R230 with 5 lug Z23 turbo hubs and axles. I have custom made adjustable control arms front and rear so this may have moved the wheel mounting face from the stock location. Wheel wells and fender lips are stock. See picture for one view on how it looks.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ 

How much camber on the rear? That rear suspension and hub setup must be further inboard than stock.. at least thats what it looks like from the pics, considering your 265mm tire is still tucked quite a ways under the stock fender. 

The Pilot Sport PS2s have been great so far. They are a good all season performance tire. Not the greatest wear factor but I don't drive that many miles. I have the rear camber set at only about a quarter degree negative, more for tire wear than ultimate handling.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Mike,

That's exactly the dilemma I started the thread with. I'd like to run 245 tires... seems like the smallest combo out there that I can do is a 245/45/16 on 16x8" rims. The most frequent offset that I hear people using is 0 (and everyone running more than a 4 or 6 offset seems to also need spacers- I would like to avoid this), but it's hard to find much on backspacing. Seems that all the figures need to be perfectly placed. I DO plan on getting coilovers (Ground Control), and already have Tokico Illumina shocks.

245/40/17's would open on a lot of tire options for me though. Just skeptical of fitting 17x8" wheels in the Z with no flares.

It doesn't really matter if the hub is further in from stock or out further. As long as you pick the correct wheel offset, you can place the tire exactly where you want it in the wheel well.

Mike Mileski

Tucson

17x8 would fit just as easily as 16x8 so Im not following your dilemma.. unless you're talking aesthetics. Personally I think these cars are very well served with 16" wheels and 17s almost look out of place. 

It sucks that 16" tire selection is getting slimmer and slimmer. 

Newoldschool, regardless of wheel width and offset, the backspace is absolute.  Once you know the maximum backspace available you can then figure out the rest to a degree.  The generally accepted maximum backspace of a wheel that will clear the STOCK suspension is 4.5-inches.  So, a 9-in. wheel with 0 offset has 4.5 inches of backspace.  However, it will not (most likely) clear the fender.

In my case, a 16x8 +10mm wheel has 4.4" of backspace (8-in. / 2 + 10-mm/(25.4mm per inch) - you ADD the positive offset since it is pushing the inside wheel lip inwards thus creating backspace.  Thus, the wheel itself clears the stock suspension, however, if you run a wide tire on it you may run into a situation where the TIRE rubs on the springs.

Edited by ktm

I have a 16x8 XXR 527 with BFG sport comp 2 245/50 in the front. Chevette springs with about 2 coils cut. Minor rubbing before I trimmed the valance. I think a 245/45 would have fit well. Proxys were the only street tire I could find in that size.

The back is 17x9.5 with a 275/40 and 1.5" spacer that sticks out like a 4x4. I think I have clearance for a 1" spacer but need to get flares either way.

I don't recall the offset on either wheel.

Edited by Naptown Dave

There's no magic to backspacing. You put a straightedge on your hub or rotor(whatever the back of the wheel sits against) and you measure from there back to the first thing it hits.Leave a little room

for clearance, and there is your backspacing. Takes about 2 min once the tire is off.