HybridZ

What's the preferred Fuel Pump for LS swapped Z cars ? & Drag Raced the car

I understand a lot of you guys have had good luck with the stock fuel pump. 

My car is a LM4 5.3 liter with a decent cam and double springs. Stock fuel pump and fuel line running to the corvette C5 filter. 

But what do most of you run on your high hp ls cars ? 10693603_863588063671527_417057085_n.jpg10691754_729797170409529_1591954271_n.jp

It wasn't the best night for drag racing. Even tho the weather couldn't have been better the track was a shit show. A noob directing the lanes with a Ego just letting the bikes and slick cars run and run and run and run. Also plenty of new 5.0 mustangs spinning and knocking over cones... Oh and a Camaro catching on fire at the 60' and doing his whole pass without lifting...  So I made my one pass and got in the car to drive 250 miles back to Austin at 10pm... to get to work at 8am ... pretty rough.. 

But not as rough as my pass. 

Not to make excuses but there is some type of fuel issue with the car at the moment it pulls very hard low and mid range but falls on it's face fast on the big end. I think my fuel pump just can't hang with the high rpm fuel demands but it's just a theory. First time the car's been down the track at all and obviously it was a spin fest with my 

195-60-15 Sumitomos ... 

60' - 2.0 

1/8 - 8.90 

MPH 80 

I used a wahlbro, probably not the best, but it seems to work fine. If you do go with a wahlbro, buy from a reputable vendor because apparently there are Chinese knockoffs out there that have a high failure rate.

thanks I'll keep that in mind. 

I'm running a fuel cell with an 8an outlet into an 8an Russell filter then into a walbro 255. After that it goes through a c5 corvette fpr and a 6an line all the way to the ls1 fuel rails. I've heard that a 6an line will max out around ~450 hp. You'll be fine with that.

I made almost 600 WHP on a single walbro 255, corvette fpr, and a -6 feed..... It'll be fine. You can make over 1000 on a -8.

I run three walbro 255 externals, on E85.  Two will take you to around 700ish.

Agree with the Bosch pump statement, I'd probably do that if I didn't get these pumps so cheap.

I am running the Bosch 044 pump with a Wix Corvette regulator/filter/return style set up.

Out of all people I expected your set up to be beefy. But after looking at what everyone's running guess I just get to choose bosch 044 or Walbro 255. 

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

What's your air fuel numbers and did you log any data?

I run a similar motor set up but with a th400 and run mid 11s, you have quite the issue with those track numbers.

Keep in mind the car has a T56 and a 195/60/15 sumitomo tire. one of which is bald in the back. I'm not too worried on about a 2.0 60' time my bone stock L series engine was enough to get the car down to a 1.7 60' with no traction issues ... Since Texas has more 1/8th mile tracks than anything it's hard to justify driving two or three times the distance to goto a 1/4 mile track. I'm very confident my car would run 11's as well. 

What does you set up consist of 5.3 with a cam ? 

Mine with a 5.3 mild cam and t56 only ran 13.86 before it snapped an axle. The only reason it was so slow is because it was hopping and spinning in every gear.

I suppose you haven't made it back out to the track since the turbo build ? We need to hit the track next time I'm in town. If I remember correctly the last time I saw Dom he said you stay in South Fort Worth . That wouldn't be too far from K-dale to make it out there on a sunday for some 1/8th mile runs . What do you think !?

Keep in mind the car has a T56 and a 195/60/15 sumitomo tire. one of which is bald in the back. I'm not too worried on about a 2.0 60' time my bone stock L series engine was enough to get the car down to a 1.7 60' with no traction issues ... Since Texas has more 1/8th mile tracks than anything it's hard to justify driving two or three times the distance to goto a 1/4 mile track. I'm very confident my car would run 11's as well. 

What does you set up consist of 5.3 with a cam ? 

Well what you think it will run and what it will run right now are two different things. Those numbers say its a 13 second car. Get a walbro 255, they are cheap and better than what ever stock set up you have. But really you need to log some data and see whats going on before you start throwing parts at it. Also, just curious do you have a 240z or a 280z gas tank? I had starvation issues with a non efi tank because it lacked the baffles.

My set up is kind of wonky, I started a turbo build and then went to nitrous. The motor is an iron block 5.3 with 243 heads with aftermarket springs and push rods. A ls6 intake and the cam is a small custom grind reverse split. On motor it puts down 300whp through the TH400, which is pretty good considering its a low compression set up.

Edited by The Infidel

I run a single bosch 044, -6an Peterson fuel filter and -6an feed line pulling from a fuel cell.  Works great and just dynoed at 586rwhp.  If you are just running the inline pump from the cell/sump make sure it is mounted as low as possible as it is gravity fed and does not like to pull fuel.  I put it too high the first time around and it would start to whine pretty good once it got hot and the tank began to empty.

Well what you think it will run and what it will run right now are two different things. Those numbers say its a 13 second car. Get a walbro 255, they are cheap and better than what ever stock set up you have. But really you need to log some data and see whats going on before you start throwing parts at it. Also, just curious do you have a 240z or a 280z gas tank? I had starvation issues with a non efi tank because it lacked the baffles.

My set up is kind of wonky, I started a turbo build and then went to nitrous. The motor is an iron block 5.3 with 243 heads with aftermarket springs and push rods. A ls6 intake and the cam is a small custom grind reverse split. On motor it puts down 300whp through the TH400, which is pretty good considering its a low compression set up.

Nice Set up. Turbo isn't very cheap to get going but I think it pays for itself after enough bottle fills. It's just so much easier to slap the bottle on it than it is to "slap" the turbo on.. I personally have a bunch of LS car buddies and they are all nitrous babies. So I'm more likely to go that route than the turbo. Your right more passes at the track = More Data to go off of. I've only made one sp

I run a single bosch 044, -6an Peterson fuel filter and -6an feed line pulling from a fuel cell.  Works great and just dynoed at 586rwhp.  If you are just running the inline pump from the cell/sump make sure it is mounted as low as possible as it is gravity fed and does not like to pull fuel.  I put it too high the first time around and it would start to whine pretty good once it got hot and the tank began to empty.

I think you're onto something here. My fuel pump is currently mounted in front of the stock 280z gas tank in the stock location where the little shield is .. 

I'm in burleson about 10 min from kennedale. Once I have a cage a harnesses she will go to the track and once I learn how to drive according to Thezguy. That guy is a **** smuggler by the way......bahahahahaha. I'm down for some racing though next time your up. I'm sure at some point dom will make me give him his hptuners back.

I'm in burleson about 10 min from kennedale. Once I have a cage a harnesses she will go to the track and once I learn how to drive according to Thezguy. That guy is a **** smuggler by the way......bahahahahaha. I'm down for some racing though next time your up. I'm sure at some point dom will make me give him his hptuners back.

Stop making excuses butt clown.. Oh and when you finally decide to build a cage for it plan on doing two.