HybridZ

Put my Z on the scales 2680lbs on my 280Z

Hey everyone, Since the Z has been down and now back on the road, a buddy of mine had some scales and I thought it would be neat to see the weight and foot print.  But I am not sure what it all means..

My Z is a 77 280Z with a L28ET motor, full stainless 3" exhaust, Tokico springs and illuminas with upgraded front sway bar and the vented Toyota S12-W calipers.

Wheels are 17x9 front and 17x9.5 rear Rota RBRs.

I am not sure what the Left means? it is at 48.99%.. Does this mean that right would be 52.1%?

Rear is at 50.03%. Does this mean it is a 50/50 weight distribution?

Cross is 48.28%. I am not really sure what that means?

Finally Bite is  -73.. I really do not know what that means?

If any of you guys are out there and familiar with corner scales some info would be great.. I will also be doing some research on it.

Thanks!

IMG_20141008_161016_489_zpsdf6876f0.jpg

IMG_20141008_161047_538_zpse0d675f2.jpg

You don't have any way to change it, but yes, you have a 50/50 front rear split. Left and right are indeed left and right side weights. The cross weights are diagonals and that's the important one for road racing or autox, but you have to be in the car to get an accurate number, and the sway bar should be disconnected. And it helps if you have a way to change it.

Do you still have the stock bumpers and seats? I've got cheap racing seats in my 77 (forgot to weight them, also reinforced the frames for rigidity/safety) and am doing fiberglass bumpers, though reinforcing them with square to retain some of their function as bumpers. Hoping that should help shed decent bit of weight. 

He does have one adjustable component: tire pressure. Does that influence cross? I'm asking, not suggesting....

Do tire pressures influence cross weight? Yes.

Is adjusting corner weights via tire pressures a good idea? Definitely not.

With that said, many variables affect corner weights so it's a good idea to know what they are. Knowing that tire pressures affect corner weights should lead you to make sure to set tire pressures to spec (whatever that may be). Even wheel alignment can affect corner weights through weight jacking caused by camber changes.

• Like 1