HybridZ

'Nother LS1 update from me

Didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I'd hoped. Some pics here: http://240z.jeromio.com/motorswap/braces.html

I went over Gary's measurements (thanks again icon_smile.gif) and positioned the motor. Mine is slightly different - 1/2 inch up and 1/2 inch forward. This was for alternator and heater issues. I was abe to get the steering shaft over by about 3/8 inch without cutting anything. I'll have to oval the holes though.

The crossmember arms will be boxed - pictures only show them as angle stock. It's going to be an odd cross section: square at the crossmember, transitioning to triangular at the frame. It'll bolt to the hump and then the motor mount tower will tie to the frame at the front as well. I'm welding a piece of 1/8 inch angle there to strengthen the attachment area.

I didn't even finish one side! Ugh.

I'm pretty happy with the trans mount thus far. It'll be re-enforced and will attach with 6 bolts, 3 per side. The top parts will have ears coming out with 2 holes and then one in the bottom part. Definately want to be able to get the air wrench in there for assembly and removal. Speaking of which, is the mount for the T56 in the same place as the auto?

I'll weld in some 14ga steel in the tunnel - basically a continuation farther back of the re-enforcement that's already there from the old mount. Gonna have to tear out the last vestige of carpeting in the car. Probably have to take out the seats too.

I'm really worried about ground clearance with the proposed 2 1/4 and 3 inch tubing. That trans pan is huge. The output of the manifold is 2 1/2, but it's so tight in that tunnel area. Also a little worried about affording a decent muffler with 3 inch in and outs.

Can't work on it next weekend either icon_sad.gif. This thing is going too slow. Ain't gots no garage door either, so I'll be freezing my cheeks off next chance I get to work.

Guest Anonymous

Just want to say thanks for the update... I'm leaning heavily towards a LS1 motor for my Z.. I'm very confident that after gathering info from this board for a year before I start my project, it will go much more smoothly...

BTW, I see you're in Durham.. I work on N. Duke St. near Roxboro Rd., where are you?

Wow - that must be one evil commute everyday.

I live in the WattsHillandale neighborhood - over off of Club by the School of Math & Science.

I waited a long while before doing this swap as well - then went and did one that only one other person had ever done before - Doh! I always seem to end up doing things the hard way. Hopefully I'll be done before you start icon_rolleyes.gif .

The only mod I am making is to "move" the flange further down stream. This will make it easier to both fit things in and also to bolt/unbolt the exhaust. I was worried that I'd have to alter the driver side manifold, make it tuck closer to the block. But it looks like LoneStar's steering shaft moving trick has obviated the need for that mod.

So, I'm cutting off the flanges and welding some tubing (12 inches or so) to the manifold, then I'll weld a flange to the end of that. If I had some spare dollars, I'd buy headers.

And actually, I am now considering moving the motor forward another 1/2 inch or so. The only issue would be whether this increases steering shaft/exhaust interference (since the shaft angles closer to the motor the farther forward you go - routing exhaust in a Scarab conversion must be extra tricky).

I dunno, maybe it'll stay where it is. I need to actually bot the alternator in place to make sure it fits. And as for the heater - It hasn't worked for the past 2 years anyway. I guess it'd be kinda silly to move the motor to accomodate it.

Scarab kit won't work with an LS1. You'd end up with the motor way out in front.

You could rig something with some JTR style setback plates that would end up putting the LS1 in approximately the Scarab position. You'd still be left with the problem of mounting the accessories high and out of the way of the motor mount towers. And then there's the issue of manual transmission - too far forward and you won't be able to locate the shifter accessibly inside the car.

I think if you wanted a bolt in LS1 arrangement, going with the mounts that hang off of the frame rails like the ones people have used here for the Ford 5.0 would be easiest. There were some drawings and pictures posted in the Ford board that you could possibly use without much modification with an LS1.

Personally, I'd want to considerably beef up the rails quite a bit for that kind of setup though.

LoneStar's setup is fairly straight forward as well. It mostly depends on where you feel most comfortable in focussing either your fabrication skills or your dollars. Had I gone LoneStar's route, the motor would probably me firmly mounted by now, but I'd be headscratching working out how to mount the alt and A/C. Some added dollars gets you a box with brackets shipped to your door though icon_razz.gif .

Me, I'm still catching grief over the L$1 expenditure - haven't even ordered the JBends for the exhaust yet cuz I'm trying to keep auto related expenses below my spouse's budgetary radar...

Guest Daddyrick

I have noticed that in every LS1 swap I have seen, all the motor mounts have been those found on the camaro and firebird. This makes for some creative engineering to adapt to the zcar. Has anyone tried using Corvette engine block mounts. I am using a bad block for mock up purposes and it seems that using Corvette block mounts that turn down, not out, will allow me to use a custom boxed new "cross member" that will cradle under the front of the block and allow the engine to rest down on the new crossmember in a much more stable configuration. This also allows me to position the block as far back as I dare go. It also gives a VERY stable platform and everything clears. I will now be able to remove the old towers from the stock crossmember and allow more room for AC.

Got pics? If this is a better way to go, it's still not too late for me to switch.

Are you talking about installing a 2nd crossmember, parallel to the existing one? I haven't seen the Corvette mounts and so don't have much of an idea of what they look like. The actual fabrication of the "frame to motor-mount" with the camaro mounts is pretty easy though. I just have to locate 2 holes for the bolt to go thru.

If the Corvette mounts are closer to the block, it might help with steering clearance - but then again, the major steering issue is with the exhaust anyway.

I'd defeinately be interested in some pcitures or diagrams.