HybridZ

Tony's 7M-GTE car reboot

Tony240ZT

Never noticed you had a gauge on the inspection lid. Fuel pressure?

Yeah, I picked up a spare inspection lid and drilled the holes in it. Hooked it up to a banjo fitting to the fuel rail, may have been the place where the starter injector used to be hooked up to. Got an external mount kit for the gauge and painted it all to match the body.

• 2 months later...

Some parts are starting to come in. The fuel system is the first thing to get out of the way. I was going to run new hard lines, but changed my mind since it's a bit easier to install some PTFE line. I went with a 100 micron ss washable mesh pre filter, the GM post filter adapter kit from driftmotion.com. I removed the stock fuel damper and FPR from the rail and used 12mmx1.25 -> -6AN flare and 14mmx1.5 -> -6AN flare adapter. My old Walbro 255 (GSL392) should still be able to do the job.

IMG_2295.jpg

The V band clamp is for my down pipe where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. I had a leak there before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm mounting the fuel pump and filters in the location where the 280z's have them tucked up under the car behind the passenger area. Welded up a small mount that can be isolated from the frame and bolted on as a unit.

IMG_2356.jpg

The fuel lines are run up in the trans tunnel. I tack welded some nuts as anchor points then used those rubber insulated clamps for the SS wrapped lines. I have a few short runs of fuel line to make, but the customized tank is reinstalled, diff will go back in this coming weekend. I'll clean up the engine compartment before dropping the engine/trans in.

Edited by Tony240ZT

• 3 months later...

Thanks to jeeper42 for the idea on walnut shell blasting my engine compartment. It gets all over like sand does, but is easier to clean up and I was able to polish some aluminum and plated parts without ruining their finish. The walnut shells will take off paint down to the base primer, and only goes down to bare metal if you sit there for a long time.

I removed the battery tray and replaced some metal under there, and have filled in all of the unnecessary holes. Close to painting the engine compartment. I have a quaife helical lsd ordered for the R200, I'll have a pro install it.

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

I caught my car crying about being put back together, so I had to stop what I was doing, wipe up the tears and tear apart something that I thought was good. Turns out one of the rear brake piston seals was cracked.

IMG_2799.jpg

$90 for a rebuilt caliper over at O'Reilly's down the street, wife loves to bleed the brakes. I tell her it's a good exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

You might beat me to getting back on the road....

Are you pulling the 7M altogether? Moving? You get quite a bit more time dedicated to car things, so it must be pretty serious. I did pick up quite a few goodies for xmas and bday combined including some 630cc/min fuel injectors, optima battery, quaife helical lsd for the R200, and some really nice seats from one of those Smart cars. Thanks to the guy on here that had pictures of them. I like how they are similar to the original seats but provide more side support.

I have this week off to get some things installed, but first the wife's vehicle just started leaking antifreeze. So, that'll need to be addressed.

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

Edited by Tony240ZT

I've just had almost no time to be in the shop. I did get the FPR back on after I rebuilt it and it's holding pressure like it's supposed to. However it's still taking several tries to get it to start and idle. Not sure what the deal is.

I pretty much just need to bleed the brakes and I should be able to drive it.

• 6 months later...

I have to move soon, so I'm in a rush to get the car together, so some progress has been made over the last couple of weeks. It's more of "join all of the pieces together as quickly as possible without getting the car running" sort of thing at the moment.

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg