HybridZ

1978 280Z 5.3L T56 Build

Looks like I am going to have my hands full for quite a while!

I wanted to start a build thread because I felt selfish for just lurking on HybridZ all the time. I have to say though, this website/forum has blessed me with so much knowledge, information and encouragement that there are plenty of other guys out there trying to figure things out already and I am only a few weeks into my build. And I wanted to give people a chance to chime in on my build! Thanks in advance!

Just a quick background. My brother owns a 82zx and since he brought that thing home I've always wanted a Z. I've always been more attracted to the 70-78 body style though, so I began shopping locally. I am located in Michigan so it isn't exactly easy trying to find a clean body. I found a shell located about 30 minutes from me and couldn't help myself. I've had a few other projects that turned out well, but never had a street/track car that I could have a lot of fun in. Previous projects were 78 Ford Bronco, 69 Firebird, 97 Ford Ranger Bagged.

The goal of the car is just like most guys on here, build a street car that can be taken to the track to have a little fun with. I can mostly see myself just driving the car on the street. I'd love to have the car make decent power (don't need a 10 second car), ride really well, and not cost a ridiculous amount to maintain. Now I am a car guy and understand it takes money to enjoy and maintain something but I don't want a 20K track car when I'm done. 

Plans

5.3L w/ upgrade heads, cam, intake, injectors, and etc...

T56 - Just need it to hold up to about 450-500 ft/lbs

Upgraded Coilovers, Camber Plates, Struts, Springs, Sway Bars

R200 or R230? Not Sure yet, probably whatever is going to cost me less in the long end with CV joints, stub axles, etc..

Possibly a cage - not sure

Current Situation

- Front and Rear Suspension is completely torn apart. Ready to make decisions on suspension upgrades.

-Rust in engine bay is removed, I am making patches for replacement

-Engine bay is ready for welding of unused holes, and then fitment of 5.3L

-Removed most of undercoating already, and plan to complete entire fabrication of drivetrain before applying LizardSkin product!

Needs

-T56 - Haven't been able to find one I like locally and haven't really put in the effort on ls1tech to nail one down

-Advice on best bang for my buck with suspension parts - TTT or AZC or ?

I appreciate any tips, tricks, advice along the way guys. I have read through most of the post on this site that are similar to my build or have information regarding what I am going to do and you guys rock! SUNNYZ has built an incredible Z along with a bunch of other guys that have gave me inspiration. I am only 23 and have had a few years of experience in paint and body, along with some fabrication, but I am a rookie in regards to race suspensions. I'll try and keep my build thread updated!

We also just built a new shop  :2thumbs:  so I can't wait to start working in there! Currently in a small space at my grandparents, but it has heat, air compressor, 220V, and lighting!

post-45444-0-86698600-1414438021_thumb.jpg

post-45444-0-18621300-1414438037_thumb.jpg

post-45444-0-15605200-1414438173_thumb.jpg

post-45444-0-37848200-1414438190_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good start bro.

Good luck getting a decent deal on a T56, keep your eyes peeled and know as soon as you buy one a cheaper/better one will pop up!

If you don't mind a little fab and welding build your own headers. I used speedway motors generic 1 3/4" LS kit and am pretty happy with how they turned out.

Do your research, ask questions and build it right the first time!

Good luck, Dave

-Engine bay is ready for welding of unused holes, and then fitment of 5.3L

I'm just starting out with my project as well, and right now i'm in the tear down stage. I have a good bit of rust to fix and some cosmetic/optional welding that will be done as well. At this early in your project, how do you know which unused holes you'll be filling in? I'm toying with that idea as well, but I haven't quite figured out will and won't be used yet (I want to do an LS1/T56 swap).

Your project looks good though! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm just starting out with my project as well, and right now i'm in the tear down stage. I have a good bit of rust to fix and some cosmetic/optional welding that will be done as well. At this early in your project, how do you know which unused holes you'll be filling in? I'm toying with that idea as well, but I haven't quite figured out will and won't be used yet (I want to do an LS1/T56 swap).

Your project looks good though! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Yeah fixing rust will really consume your time. I will only need the holes for the harness, which I going to run through the inner fender. Other than the harness, you have the fuel and brake lines. Besides that there shouldn't be much more. 

Looks like a good start bro.

Good luck getting a decent deal on a T56, keep your eyes peeled and know as soon as you buy one a cheaper/better one will pop up!

If you don't mind a little fab and welding build your own headers. I used speedway motors generic 1 3/4" LS kit and am pretty happy with how they turned out.

Do your research, ask questions and build it right the first time!

Good luck, Dave

Thanks man! I always keep my eyes posted on the sites for t56 deals. I enjoy doing some fab work, so I will definitely look to use a kit like the one from speedway motors! Thanks for the tip!

I will definitely take my time to do my research.

I know that the 6spd is sexy, but I don't use 6th like, ever. 1/8-mile in 3rd, 1/4 and 1/2 mile in 4th and 1-mile in 5th. Autocross in 2d, road course in 4th. You can do so much gearing with tire diameter, that you could get by fine with a 4spd.

Edited by RebekahsZ

For my road warrior I travel in it and net around 30 mpg with the 5.3 and in 6th it's barely running lol it just cruises on down the road sipping gas. To hit 2k RPM you've gotta be doing 70 plus mph. But they're ridiculous for the price I agree because there's not a "good" used Trans. Mine is junk and I have $450 in parts to rebuild it this winter. Guy said it grinds a little in 2nd... He wasn't joking... Sounds like a 12 year old jamming gears with no clutch.

I know that the 6spd is sexy, but I don't use 6th like, ever. 1/8-mile in 3rd, 1/4 and 1/2 mile in 4th and 1-mile in 5th. Autocross in 2d, road course in 4th. You can do so much gearing with tire diameter, that you could get by fine with a 4spd.

So what are the other options? 

There are what appears to be a couple reasonably priced T56's on LS1tech right now. The 2nd one should be a mn12, considered an upgrade from the standard T56 with better synchros.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1756175-ls1-t56-6-speed-manual-transmission-kit.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1756236-fs-ls1-t56-w-harness.html

But lower ratios than you really need due to how light the Z is. 2nd gear is super low in the M12-that's what I run. From everybody I have talked to, plan on doing a rebuild at some point. But at the same time, all my buddies said it was easy. And these trannys are "notchy"-mine grinds a little at commuting speeds, but is silk when driving in anger at the strip. I shift as fast as I'm going-shift slow if driving slow, shift fast if driving fast. You can feel it when it's ready to go into gear, so don't force it. I'm resisting the temptation to use a sexual analogy. But you get the idea?