HybridZ

big block z-install pics

does anyone have pics of a bbc installed in a 240-280z? and or pics of the install in progress? I lost all the pics I had of the last one I worked on and now my neighbors asking questions and I think a few pics would really help a bunch to convince him it can be done! we have a 240z we can buy and we already have a ls6 bbc so its just desideing to spend the time and money on his part and he thinks it can,t be done! even though I have done it before BTW great site guys Im allmost ready to sell one of the vettes to do that myself(240-280z/454 bbc)with a th-350 trans

Guest Anonymous

I would really like to talk to him about they way he modified the tranny hump for his shifter. I am using an M20 with Hurst Supershifter and straight aluminum rods with hiem ends. They shifter hole was nice looking on his car so I have just gotta know what he did. icon_eek.gif

I'm the BBC dilettante that Pete was referring to. Things are a bit hectic now, but I'll post with pictures of my setup in a couple of weeks. That's a promise - sort-of. :-)

Here's the summary of the project: The car was basically built by a buddy of mine, though I can take blame for most of the design. The front end was cut off, the firewall and floor cut out, a roll cage welded into the car, then the floor was shortened by 6.25", floor and firewall welded back in, front reattached with frame-rail doublers and lots of sheet metal in compound curves. The transmission is a Doug Nash 5-speed, with external shift linkage. The transmission tunnel was cut up in multiple places to accommodate the shifter, the driver's seat, and the roll cage tubes that support it. The shifter boot exits though a another piece of sheet metal with compound curves, made evidently on an English wheel. The engine mounts to steel pads welded to the frame rails over the joints where the tension/compression rods pick up.

E-mail me at ol_70@hotmail.com if you have specific questions.

Hi Michael - When Glen and I visit on the 23/24th I'd be glad to take digital pics with my camera if that's be easier - or let you use my digital since you're the shutterbug and I'm not icon_smile.gif . I can host some new ones on my site as well.

This is one wild V8Z. I can't wait to get a ride in it - buckets of torque in a light Z has got to be a blast!

• 3 years later...

Oh, this thread brings back the memories!

But the sad truth is that very little has changed with my car since 4 years ago. The engine is still out and apart, though finally I bought cylinder heads and will mock-assemble everything (to check for clearances) in the next 2-4 months. I hope to finish the engine in the Spring of 2006, and maybe get the car running the following year.

Grumpy - did you ever build that Z with the 454?

And while we're on the subject of BBC Z's - whatever happened to Ron Jones and Brad Barkley?

Ive helped WORK on several big block (Z) cars ,my cousin owned one, Ive built complete roll cages, worked on , rear suspensions,frame mods, engine installs, trans swaps ETC. but never personally OWNED one.

in most of those cars we had a full cage and there were few if any stock suspension parts and a full frame was fabricated as we felt that the stock body would not stand the stress for long

sometimes its just easier to use the basic stripped body shell fitted to a full rolling cage/frame suspension purpose built to the application and a new frame/cage on a purpose built race car has several advantages over trying to use stock components and be limited to the stock measurments, and strength limitations

example its not a big deal to move the frame slightly to get more engine /suspension clearance or to use corvette suspension components

a good 200-300 amp TIG welder and a sawzal some understanding of geometry and stress in a race car and at least minimal skills to use them can do wonders to a car, Id highly advise any hotrodder to learn WELDING and FABRICATION, theres night classes at many schools

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/index.html

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...