HybridZ

Mega Squirt high quality custom harnesses

FricFrac

Is there any interest in developing a Megasquirt wiring harness for the Gen-1 Chevrolet small block and big block? 

This presumably would leave the distributor as a mere connection between the oil pump shaft and the cam-gear, with a block-off plate on the intake manifold.  A toothed wheel ahead of the crank-pulley would serve as ignition pickup (or would that still be at the distributor???), going to a stand-alone, programmable ignition system.  Fuel metering would remain via traditional carburation. 

We can build pretty much anything. We did an LS1 in an S14 putting down 400 rwhp. You could run MS as an ignition system but if you are going through that effort you may as well take full advantage of an EFI system and run the injection side of it as well. There's a reason manufactures run EFI in modern cars as you can have the best of both worlds - max performance and max fuel economy - just depends on how you use the throttle :)

You could run MS as an ignition system but if you are going through that effort you may as well take full advantage of an EFI system and run the injection side of it as well. There's a reason manufactures run EFI in modern cars as you can have the best of both worlds - max performance and max fuel economy - just depends on how you use the throttle

This is a carburetor-equipped engine from the 1970s, with a mechanical fuel pump.  At present I am not interested in doing a full EFI conversion - especially one that could support a 461 cubic inch engine.  However, I'm unimpressed with the timing-control available with a conventional HEI distributor, or with the bandaid measures available for it.  I've not heard overly favorable reviews of MSD ignition components - and MSD dominated the mainstream aftermarket for such engines.  Thus the curiosity about unorthodox alternatives.  I'm from the pre-computer-literate, knuckle-dragging generation.

Absolutely it's something that could be done of course. You would need some sort of cam sensor if you want to run full sequential spark. If you are happy running a wasted spark setup you just need a crank sensor for spark timing. You will have complete control over the timing and make whatever curve best suits your engine. The nice thing is that you can always upgrade down the road to injectors of you want to add that.

I recomend running an LS coil of some sort as they have a very hot spark and the ignition driver is built into the coil.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The problem with the Z31/S130 turbo stock harness is the ECU plugs are not available. I tried to find pins to replace the original stock ones and reuse the body of the connector but have yet to find any.

For the money you would probably be better off to sell the JWT setup and upgrade to a modern stand alone. If you were running a Z32/R32 or newer ECU I would consider upgrading to NisTune

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my l28et harness and MS from FricFrac in the mail. 100% quality. There is no way i could have built this to half the quality he has. If your worried about your wiring abilities or just want a high quality wiring harness without the sweat, this is the way to go! I will post photos once the install is complete.

Thanks again FricFrac! :2thumbs:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys - sorry about not being available but I am back making my high grade mil spec harnesses and plug and play systems (and I mean mil spec - not just the phrase people throw around in the automotive industry now adays :( )

If you have any questions feel free to ask or give me a call directly at 250-896-5930. 

38 minutes ago, FricFrac said:

high grade mil spec harnesses and plug and play systems (and I mean mil spec - not just the phrase people throw around in the automotive industry now adays :( )

If you don't define it then you're kind of just throwing it around like everyone else.  "Military" does not necessarily mean "high quality".  Most of us respect the military, but "mil spec" is just another standard set of specifications.  To be precise you need to give the spec number.  "mil spec" for a desk lamp might not  be the spec you're looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Standard

I use 

35 minutes ago, NewZed said:

If you don't define it then you're kind of just throwing it around like everyone else.  "Military" does not necessarily mean "high quality".  Most of us respect the military, but "mil spec" is just another standard set of specifications.  To be precise you need to give the spec number.  "mil spec" for a desk lamp might not  be the spec you're looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Standard

Fair enough - let me rephrase that then:

I use Mil Spec wiring (if you want the part numbers I can list them).  That is Teflon coated and often silver plated (depending on the Mil Spec number of course) wiring.  It is heat and chemical resistant and can carry up to twice the current of lower grade wiring of the same gauge.  It is excellent for engine bays because it is virtually impervious to the effects of gas and oil - it will not become brittle and break when exposed to these conditions over time as do most other types of insulation.

I'm an Electronics Engineering Technologist and worked for the Military for 15 years in electronics during which time I have built and repaired countless wiring harnesses and connectors according to Mil Specs.  Base on the knowledge of those systems and my training I design my harnesses for maximum noise immunity BEFORE it ever makes it to the ECU.  A lot of companies are happy to let the software take care of (most of) the errors produced by noise.  The engine bay is not only a harsh environment physically but also electrically.  There is a lot of noise induced into sensor lines.  I use Mil Spec (again numbers provided if that has any use to anyone) shielded wiring for ALL sensors and a properly designed grounding system throughout the entire harness.  I'm trained in Mil Spec soldering, connectorization, metrology, noise immunity, etc.

Typically when someone says their harness is Mil Spec it just refers to the use of Mil Spec wiring and/or connectors NOT the above techniques which do produce a very high quality product.  My products have been around for years - ask anyone who has one about the product and/or support and I'm sure you'll find that statement to be true.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

Edited by FricFrac