HybridZ

Interior rivet alternative

Milenko2121

I recently re did my interior and had to get new rivets. I refuse to pay near a $1 for a small piece of plastic so I did some searching and found a replacement rivet. I had seen an old post on another forum(forgot which) and a user used these on his Z.

I bought them last week and they just got here today. They fit almost perfectly, they just require a little persuasion by tapping them in gently with a hammer.

FORD FENDER SHIELD PUSH TYPE RETAINERS OEM 387843-S

I got 50 of them for $12 including shipping over on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260774018886?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Figured i'd put this here for someone else in the future searching for a rivet replacement and doesn't want to spend almost a $1 on a single rivet.

Every time I go to the junkyard I pull the ones off the windshield cowls of 90s Hondas. They screw instead of push so easier to reuse. They worked in my taillights. I will be starting to put the interior back in in a couple weeks and let you know how they fit inside the car.

• 1 month later...

Nylon Expanding Shank Rivet, .189" Hole Diameter, .158"-.281" Material Thickness, Black, packs of 50

This one would appear to have the closest dimensions. I have not ordered them yet to confirm though.

Thanks, let us know if they work.  Although i would rather replace the originals with ones that don't have the peg in them for reuse if i have to remove the panels.  Something more "recyclable" would be better.
Edited by drdiabetezx66x

• 2 weeks later...

Nylon Expanding Shank Rivet, .189" Hole Diameter, .158"-.281" Material Thickness, Black, packs of 50

This one would appear to have the closest dimensions. I have not ordered them yet to confirm though.

That's fantastic!   Thanks for doing the legwork on this. 

I ordered a few bags of these, which I like better, than the ones with a stud down the center.  They came in and are real nice. They are usable for many purposes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gm-1989-On-Push-Type-retainer-Splash-Shield-Wheel-Wel-Retainer-50-PSC-/351268438020?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231410848341?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So the McMaster push pin clips were to small. The Christmas tree style fit much better. The head was to small on the pushpins. I'm going to see if I can find some with a larger head. The top one is the stock one, middle is McMaster pushpin and bottom is Christmas tree style (1st image). 2nd image starts with the stock one on right. You can see the difference.

post-3862-0-67408700-1420409082_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-01530700-1420409094_thumb.jpg