HybridZ

My 240Z with supercharged BMW engine

I thought I share my Datsun project here. I bought it about year ago from US. I looked car that was not too rusted, was running and cost under 5K. Finally found this -71 240Z from Hollywood. It was little over my budget, but seller was kind enough to drive it so shipping company, so I saved few hundred in there. And there was also lots of new parts included. Car had L28, 5 speed, R200 and Z31 ECU.

datsun1.jpg?img=small_full.jpg

After waiting two (long) months car finally arrived to Finland and it turned out to be in much better condition that I could never expect. There was almost no rust and car really was in driving condition. I drove few days with it and then teared it apart.   

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

And I also sanded it to bare metal. Only welding that I did was fill those side light holes because they are not needed in my country. 

_full.jpgbare_metal_240z_4.jpg?img=smallbare_metal_240z_2.jpg?img=small_full.jpg_full.jpg

After that it was time to paint. Painting was done in my own garage where I did small "paint booth".

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

After painting it needed lots and lots of wet sanding and polishing...

Previous owner had fitter Eibach springs and Tocico shocks but I wanted it to be lower so coilovers were needed. I bought BC Racing coilovers that were meant for S13 and fitted them to S30. I cutted original shock tubes and welded threaded collars in place of them. S13 camper adjust strut tops were too big for S30 strut towers, so I made smaller strut tops. There is not much camper adjust, but at least some. 

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

Previous owner had fit disk brakes to rear and 13/16" MC. I decided to upgrade front brakes with 300mm vented rotors and Outlaw calipers. I also did 5-lug swap using Z31 parts in front and rear hub was redrilled.

I have always liked old BBS wheels and bought BBS RM. Wheel were originally 7.5" x 15" and rear wheels were widened 1.25".

Interior was in quite bad shape. Seat cover was broked and dash was cracked. I repaired dash with fiber glass and painted it black. Seat was repaired with new covers. New gauges came from Speedhut.

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

I have now driven about 5000km with my Datsun in this summer. Have been in few track days and few car meets. And it has worked perfectly.

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg20140830_121924_CA2_4732.jpg?img=img1280
_full.jpg
As for new engine I wanted some modern 6 cyl engine, and though RB25. However those are quite expensive and rare in our country, so I used something totally different...BMW M50B25 with 5 speed ZF310 gearbox. I used 2.8 crankshaft and pistons so engine is now 2.8 instead original 2.5. Also block height is shaved 2mm to get squish height to about 1mm. That shaving also get me 12:1 compression so I am going to use E85. As engine management I am using Megasquirt MS3. And I also have M3 throttle bodies and headers and some hotter cams.

Engine is now totally rebuild with new piston rings, bearings, cam chain, etc. 

IMG_20140920_182156.jpg?img=img1280IMG_20140925_172800.jpg?img=img1280IMG_20140822_172337.jpg?img=img1280ajoitus.jpg?img=img1280

During this winter I need to get this engine fitted to Datsun engine compartment and get everything working. 
Edited by TeemuM
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for compliments!

Yes we have M52. But at the time I bought this one couldn't find any for reasonable price. It would been nicer because aluminium block, so could save a little bit of weight. That aluminium block is 30kg lighter.

I think that M50 is about same weight than L28.

I corner weighted my car with L28 and it is in quite good balance.

Front left   Front right

285kg       272kg

Rear left   Rear right

247kg       275kg

Edited by TeemuM

I am changing that longnose R200 that I currently have to shortnose R200 with LSD. Differential is from G37 and is very low milage.

At the same time I am changing half shafts to CV-axles. 

Does anyone know where to find short 28 spline cv-axles?

I was thinking to use these joints.

http://www.mooreparts.com/8126-AC501193/

These are shortest axles that I have find, but I think those are little bit too long.

http://www.mooreparts.com/3259-AC525202/

• 4 weeks later...

Engine is now fitted. Not the prettiest mounts but I guess they do the trick.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

Original gearbox mount was almost direct fit.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

And gearlever is in right place.

_full.jpg

Also modified rear bracket so there is more room for exhaust. I used two mounts that I cutted half and welded together.

_full.jpg_full.jpg

As differential I am going to use Infiniti G37 R200. Ratio is 3.337 and it is LSD. Need to do mounts for that.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

Also get larger clutch and custom flywheel to fit that cluch.

_full.jpg_full.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I fabricated mount for shortnose differential. Material is 5mm steel. 

I mounted diff little bit higher than originally, so there is more room for exhaust. And because car is lowered so much this helps to get drive axles to better angle.

Rear beam needed small modification to get enough room for diff.

_full.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some update. New drive axles with cv-joints. Needed to made new flange for stub axle and new bolt pattern for diff flange.

Also new drive shaft. I needed to change that 3 bolt diff flange to round one found from 370Z. 

_full.jpg_full.jpg

Bigger fuel lines and reservoir where is pump inside.

Some update. New drive axles with cv-joints. Needed to made new flange for stub axle and new bolt pattern for diff flange.

Also new drive shaft. I needed to change that 3 bolt diff flange to round one found from 370Z. 

_full.jpg_full.jpg

Bigger fuel lines and reservoir where is pump inside.

Did you use the mooreparts cv axles?  

Im doing the same mod, but for a subaru r180.

Nice fabrication and mod.

Yes 15 5/8" chromoly axles from Mooreparts. Those were about 1" too long but they could be shortened. And also needed to lathe new circlips grooves.  

Can´t take credit for those new stub axle flanges, local machine shop did those.

Edited by TeemuM

• 3 weeks later...

Engine is now in it´s place. M3 exhaust manifold needed small modifications so it would clear frame rail.

I needed to made hood latch bracket removable so I could mount engine wiring harness under it. And it also needed some modifications to clear fuel rail.

Also received Megasquirt 3, so next step is finish wiring, make new exhaust and then try to start this thing. 

_full.jpg_full.jpg

_full.jpg_full.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attended to local car show.

Pics taken by our club member.

17180468246_a2bd5e1dd9_b.jpgIMG_6473 by felix200SX, on Flickr

17016753378_63dab5a812_b.jpgIMG_6159 by felix200SX, on Flickr

17180724166_6a4987a9d1_b.jpgIMG_6526 by felix200SX, on Flickr

Have been driven few hundred kilometers, and have been doing basic tuning to MS3. There is oil leak from thansmission so it needs to fixed before I can get this dynotuned. Also redid exhaust. There was 2x 2.25" with two straight through mufflers. However that was loud as hell, so now there is 1 x 2.5" with 2 mufflers...and now it is almost too silent. :)