HybridZ

My 240Z with supercharged BMW engine

Are there no women in Finland? Do you guys not work?! Or are you just stuck in the shop half the year?

Seriously I've seen some great builds come out of the Nordic regions and this is yet another.

Great work, a real inspiration.

No doubt.  I'm still trying to get Megasquirt going, for two years now.  Kids, wife, work, home, never ends.

Sorry, yes, nice build, love it.  :D

Well its long and dark winter in here, so theres much time to spend in garage. :)

Got car back to the road again. I dropped engine and transmission off, because it seemed almost impossible to remove transmission with engine in place, because it is placed so close to fire wall. Changed new gasket to transmission and put everything back together. And after small test drive there was no oil leak. So hopefully I can now book new dyno time and get this thing tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

273HP? That can't be right. I would think a stock M50 might make 173hp at the wheels, but nowhere near 273. The car is looking fantastic though - I didn't recognize it at first, but I think I remember seeing that one on CL around summer 2013 - you've done a great job with it. Kinda wish I'd bought it in hindsight, lol.

Edited by rturbo 930

That is converted engine power and this is not stock engine. Compression is 12.8:1 instead 10:1, cams, ported head, manifold, and MS3. And because I use E85 there could be used high spark advance without knocking.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Driving season is soon to be over so needed to figure some new project for winter. So I designed ITB´s for my car. Going to use ready made manifold, RB26 throttles, and rest of the parts needs to be manufactured. Also those RB26 ITB:s are too wide so they need to be modified. 

What air filters have you used with ITB´s? In that design I used largest oval K&N filter element.

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

Im afraid I have only 3D model of that mount. I can email that if it helps? I remembered that some of those parts needed to be modified and I added extra support but those parts were good starting point.

_full.jpg

And I also needed to bend that right side sheet.

_full.jpg

And for that new companion flange I dont have drawing. They did it by themselves is machine shop. 

My first idea was to make it by using original companion flange and weld adapter to that. As that seems to be what most people are doing. But they said in machine shop that they can do me a whole new flange so I think that was better.

Here is drawing of that welded adapter that I first was going to use.

_full.jpg

Idea was to make original flange round with lathe so it can easily be centered to that adapter before welding. That white part is original flange after lathe work. 

_full.jpg

Hope those helps.

Edited by TeemuM
  • Like 1

Well I think that dyno is quite optimistic because that torque is maybe too much from 2.8 litre engine. That´s almost 120nm/l, which is at Ferrari territory.

However 1/4 mile final speed was 175kmh which is quite in line with hp and weight.

I have already gathered parts for 3 litre 13:1CR engine so going to build that in next winter. Going to use aluminium block which is about 20kg lighter than that iron block.

Edited by TeemuM

The drawing you posted is great, thank you.  If you are willing to share your solid model of the diff that would be very helpful as well, my e-mail is jeremyw63d@gmail.com and I have solidworks 2014. Thanks again for the part data and sharing your build!

I send you .stp file and also found .dxf files that were used to cut those sheetmetals.

Be aware that this mount puts differential quite high. I needed modify floor panels to make enough room for it.

_full.jpg_full.jpg

Also that beam that is behind diff needed to be modified.

_full.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My new engine is now assembled. It is stroked to 3.0 litres and compression is 10:1. Head is rebuild and slightly ported.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

I changed plans and decided to supercharge it because I found used Rotrex C38-71. That means I need to upgrade also clutch, fuel pump and injectors.

_full.jpg

Edited by TeemuM