HybridZ

Obsurce question about the heater box and air pathways

Im in the middle of working on my z and have a totally obscure question in regards to how the air vents blow when the heater is on.  Does the hot air only come out of the side vents (big round ones), or does hot air also come out of the center vent above the weather controls/radio?

My car is half gutted under the dash so im trying to piece everything together, using obsurce pictures and "logic" to figure out how to do it.

53401d1337184707-replacing-heater-hoses-

From what I can see, the blower motor blows air into the top right of this box

The heater core is lined along the bottom.

To turn the heater on, that flap comes up and routes air down through the core- With the hot air then exiting the 2 vents along the front bottom (Or the side panels if you open it up for the foot well). 

This flap seems to close off the center vent above the controls completely- Leading me to believe the hot air only exits through those few ducts along the bottom, which as far as I can see only feed air to the side vents (ie just to the left of the speedo for the driver, and just to the right of the glovebox).

Is this relatively correct? Again ignoring the foot well and window vents, im just wondering if turning the heat on blocks the center vent there, meaning you get no hot air out above the vent over the controls/radio? Thank everyone!

Edited by Sideways

Hot feet, cold windshield in "Heat"

Now put into "Defog" position, get confused more!

More confused indeed! Sadly the PO cut all of the cables to actuate everything and completely stripped/gutted the heate control panel (No levers, no switches, no upper vent, no radio).  So ill be actuating everything manually by hand until I can secure myself some replacements for everything.  I dont have a "Defog" position lol.  This isnt a "nice street car" really and is more of a "fun toy", so itll be awhile before I get around to it- I just thought it might be neat to have some heat seeing as it gets below freezing where I live haha

Ill just have to muck around with it and figure out what everything does as best I can i suppose!

Edited by Sideways

Get Defog working. I made that mistake ONCE, and won't make it again.

Hot air blowing only on the window doesn't necessarily keep your tootsies warm, but it DOES. Warm the cabin and DOES keep the windscreen so you can see!

Something the heater does not necessarily accomplish!

My Suzuki Super Carry Van has had the Defog vents torn out in the conversion from RHD to LHD, and It drives me batty! Sure I can turn on AirCon to dehumidify the interior...but having functioning Defog (and the ability to push dehumidifies air into the windscreen) is more important than just two center vents blowing ice cold air to the cabin!

Edited by Tony D

Download the Factory Service Manual - 1970-1971 Datsun 240z Sport.  You need the "1971 FSM Supplement".  Get it at xenons30.com (an internet search of "1971 FSM supplement pdf" found it right away for me...) 

It describes the entire heating/ventilation system and shows all of it's component parts.  What you have there so far will make a lot more sense once you've looked over the Supplement.

Here's another option.  The one big weakness of the Z system is that it doesn't have the option to blow de-moisturized and reheated air across the windshield like more modern cars.  If you have an AC compressor something like this might be an upgrade.  It looks difficult though, considering the thread ended with no firm signs of success.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/88182-alternate-heater-ac-controls-in-a-280/?&pid=836998&do=findComment&comment=836998

Edited by NewZed

Ah whoops, just wanted to clarify- That picture is NOT a picture of my interior! It was just a picture I found of the heater box to show what i was on about haha

Thank you for the FSM link.  Ive got a copy on my laptop but was on my phone at the time. Very handy information to have!

Sadly AC wont be a practical option for my car.  Its an l28et with a larger turbo, intercooler piping snaking around the front of the engine, with a bigger radiator, and thick electric fans.  Getting a compressor to fit anywhere up there would be a pain in the boot.

As always, thank you so much everyone

Edited by Sideways