HybridZ

On-board air jacks

RebekahsZ

I echo what Litman has posted.  These are for tire changing only, no working under the car.  I've been a pit crew for two Vipers running air jacks and they can be a  serious safety issue.  The system I used allowed the air hose to be removed after the car was up and then a handle pulled to drop the car.  Its for professional use only IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

My new racecar:

If you look at 1:47 you can see the air wand assembly which the mechanics use to drop the car gently.  I don't know what pressure they require since I'm not a mechanic and don't actually touch that thing.  They do use the big nitrogen bottles since that is what is distributed at the racetrack which they also run the air tools, wheel guns, fill the tires etc. so not all of that volume is required for the jacks.  I would think you could use a smaller bottle without issue.

Some teams use jack stands that slide around the air jack shaft.  We use wooden blocks of different heights.  The sequence for raising the car up high is to lift it up with the air jacks, then slide the taller wooden blocks under the frame rails.  Then the air pressure is released, and they slide slightly shorter blocks under the air jacks, and then lift it up again.  From there they put jack stands under the frame rails, and that is the height they use to work underneath the car.  As others have stated you never never ever get under the car with just air jacks.  Even in pit lane the blocks go under the car if someone has to get underneath.