HybridZ

Some HP questions for you L28 Turbo guys

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay, so it looks like I'm finally gonna get my hands on a turbo motor for my '72 240. Found a guy with a '77 with a factory L28 turbo in it, with turbo from a 300zx (he's sayin it's a T4), 440cc injectors, and a TEC 2 fuel/ignition system. I'm wondering some things about it though. The block and head are stock turbo pieces, stock compression and all that, he says he's running 10lbs of boost. The intake is not intercooled. Is 10lbs safe to run w/o intercooling?? I'm assuming the tec 2 is making it possible? He's saying the engine is getting somewhere around 300 horses, which sounds high to me, not that i know the first thing about turbo z's... so that's my main question, stock engine, larger injectors, tec 2, and 10 lbs of boost, about what hp should this be putting out? Anyone with some good comparison crank/rear wheel numbers from similiar setups? I sure would be a happy guy if it WAS putting out 300.....

you can get 300hp with no ic, but you are seriously running the risk of blowing that puppy up. an ic isnt gonna help you out at all until you raise boost into double digits, below that you will be slower than the next guy with your setup, boost and no intercooler-he has less area to fill, its hotter air-but but hes getting his boost faster..

Originally posted by LEN168:

you can get 300hp with no ic, but you are seriously running the risk of blowing that puppy up. an ic isnt gonna help you out at all until you raise boost into double digits, below that you will be slower than the next guy with your setup, boost and no intercooler-he has less area to fill, its hotter air-but but hes getting his boost faster..

That's not been my experience at all. I was running 9psi with no IC last year. I bolted in my IC, set my boost controller to 9 psi (same reading on my boost gauge - referenced to the manifold). I then compared my time slips.

With the IC at the same boost level I picked up 0.5 seconds and 5 mph with the same 60' time. The cooler, denser air will make the difference EVERY time.

Guest bastaad525

Okay so is 10psi safe to run w/o the intercooler though? I didn't think it was getting 300hp... I'm hoping for at least 250 though is that more reasonable? I thought it kind of odd that he had no IC too, but no big deal I'll definately be putting on in myself later. So has anyone dynoed a setup at 10psi WITH an I/C? What kinda hp did you get at the wheels, or what kind of 1/4 mile times were you getting vs. what weight of your car?

Originally posted by bastaad525:

Okay so is 10psi safe to run w/o the intercooler though? I didn't think it was getting 300hp... I'm hoping for at least 250 though is that more reasonable? I thought it kind of odd that he had no IC too, but no big deal I'll definately be putting on in myself later. So has anyone dynoed a setup at 10psi WITH an I/C? What kinda hp did you get at the wheels, or what kind of 1/4 mile times were you getting vs. what weight of your car?

Given my time slips, 9psi with intercooler, I was only putting about 190-200 to the wheels. Depending on your fuel quality, tune and elevation, you should be able to run 10 psi without an IC. You may even get close to 250hp at the crank, but keep it safe. The intercooler makes such a huge difference in safety and power, I will never run another turbo without one.

Oh, time slips 9psi intercooled ran from the low 14s to high 13s. Did I mention this was at 5800' elevation too?

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Stock T3's should make around 300hp at 18psi. A T3 is what should be on the car if the turbo came off a 300. You can do it safe if the car has a TEC 2 with igntion programability you just got to watch the ignition time. The intercooler will alow you to run more timing and make more power. Good luck sounds like the making of a fun car.

the 300zxt came with a vg30et which is of course a v6 engine not an L6, the turbo they came with is a t3 and they put out about 190hp running with 7psi of factory boost, these motors are 2 totally different animals, how much boost you can run is different from how much boost you can run or a low compression vg30et, they can take quite a bit of boost and so can the L6 but you are comparing apples to oranges

the 300zxt came with a vg30et which is of course a v6 engine not an L6, the turbo they came with is a t3 and they put out about 190hp running with 7psi of factory boost, these motors are 2 totally different animals, how much boost you can run is different from how much boost you can run or a low compression vg30et, they can take quite a bit of boost and so can the L6 but you are comparing apples to oranges

That's a miss info. the size of the 300zxt turbo and 280zxt turbo are same. only difference is center section. And L28ET is rated @180HP with factory 6-7 psi. You can run alot of boost on L28ET too.

actually I misunderstood the origional post, was thinking he intended to put the turbo set up on L24, I dunno what turbo came on the 280zxt (thinking I heard t28 but not sure) but the z31's came with t3's and made 190 hp @7psi, if it is a true T4 it is not the oe turbo from a 300zx, and a t4 seems like overkill if your only gonna run 10psi ? although I doubt an etra 3psi of boost with only bolt ons could make that kind of hp even with an i/c

Just to add to the mess... I believe this is how it goes...

81-83 280zx turbo T3 oil cooled only

84-87 300zx turbo T3 oil and water cooled

88-89 300zx turbo T28 oil and water cooled

Correct me if I am wrong :roll:

Never-the-less, none came with a T4 stock for sure.