HybridZ

Need help with Body/Frame pull

brianZortiz

Hi everyone, My friends Z got into an accident. It was a minor accident where it was rear ended without having his rear bumper. The crash was fixed, but was still left with this unaligned door to rear panel when the body man said the frame was pulled. The body man said he is going to try a bit more but does not want to "overpull" the frame. It seem like he fixed the dents with wire weld slide hammer. Is there still hope with frame pulling after the creased dents have been fixed? What is the best method to try to fix gap on door to rear quarter panel. The door is in its place, the only thing is rear quarter was moved some forward by hit. Thank You.

post-10151-0-47345700-1415678576_thumb.jpeg

post-10151-0-81373500-1415678734_thumb.jpg

Edited by brianZortiz

Yes, that can be (and should have already been) pulled, but you need to look at the damage it will cause elsewhere. The roof is mis-aligned, the rocker is bent upward, and the rear deck is likely warped. The next pull will be back-and-down, with a fulcrum under the rocker panel. It can cause bad things to happen, even when you only have to move an eighth inch to make it right.

I'm a long time body and paint tech so I'll give you my opinion, this type of damage is not serious if you take it to a good shop with a skilled and competent frame tech. One way to find a good shop for this type of work is to look for "I-CAR" certification. It is the Industry Standard much like ASE is for Mechanics. The car needs to be put on a frame machine and tied down with unibody clamps at the corners (center section), then checked for squareness with either a tram or a dedicated measuring system.  Then you can safely and properly make the neccesary pulls to get the quarter back into realignment. It can be done without a full frame machine but the guy operating it needs to be skilled and know what he is doing. This is really a simple (judging by your pics, would need to see the whole car to be absolutely sure) repair. More than likely it was hit in the rear and the quarter went forward and high.

Expect to pay anywhere from $200-400 if the extent of the damage is just the quarter. Your biggest concern should be finding a Shop with a good frame tech who will pull it correctly. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Good Luck:)

Brian, the car is at a place in Ontario called State Frame Shop.  I stopped by today to drop off the fenders and sugar scoops to verify the alignment when they get to the car.  They are slammed and work on a lot of older cars.  There was a Sunbeam Tiger in the queue (outside the shop) and another on the way.  A Pantera was being dropped off and they just finished up a early 911 (was there when I dropped my car off).

My car should be ready by next Tuesday/Wednesday.  I'll let you know how things turn out.

• 1 month later...