HybridZ

has anyone installed Rx7 brakes?

Was helping a buddy at the shop with the brakes on his lsx rx7, when i picked up one of the calipers. WOW are they light. all aluminum four piston fixed caliper and they're cheap at 35 a piece.

so i was wondering if this would be another budget upgrade option. after some looking seems to be a fairly popular upgrade for the ae86 guys.

im a long ways off from brakes but i wanted to put this up to see if anyone had opinions.

Here is a diagram of the hole locations. Use 1/2" steel plate. The outter holes will need to be tapped. You will need to grind the calipers a bit on the sides of the mounting pads. Also need to shim the hub on the spindle about 0.080". Use 4 lug Z31 rotors. Will also need some wheel spacers. Aftermarket wheels will work better.

post-8737-0-65183500-1415753745_thumb.png

Always interesting to see people here have use for Rx-7 parts. Little info on these calipers for those that want to try this out. Both FC (87-91) turbo and FD(93-95) came with the 4 piston fixed front calipers which are completely interchangeable. The ONLY difference between the 2 models is the older FC calipers had cooling fins on them. However after much discussion and testing on Rx7club they found minimal gains at best for the older cooling fin type, so really any ones you get will be fine. Just have to grind off the mazda emblems on them lol.

Oh I almost forgot, just as people say here that our stock brakes are good for decent power, for the FD they tell you on rx7club that the factory brakes with good pads and rotors are good for up to but not maxed out at 500whp before any real brake fade would be noticed and thats coming from a car that weighs roughly 2800 lbs wet factory.

Edited by helghast7

I'd like to try to figure out a way to keep the rotors in the same location. I don't know much about the stock z brake setup yet just what ive seen looking at em and in photos. maybe the vented rotors from the toyota setup to keep the weight closer to the center of the car. z31 rotors and your bracket would be a good start. my wheels should provide plenty of clearance at 9in wide 0 offset.

Here is a diagram of the hole locations. Use 1/2" steel plate. The outter holes will need to be tapped. You will need to grind the calipers a bit on the sides of the mounting pads. Also need to shim the hub on the spindle about 0.080". Use 4 lug Z31 rotors. Will also need some wheel spacers. Aftermarket wheels will work better.

can you explain the shimming of the hub on the spindle for me? is it to bring the rotor into correct alignment with the caliper? if so could i shim the bracket from the knuckle or the caliper from the bracket?

• Like 1

i could have .08 machined from the bracket to avoid hub shimming correct? does the caliper sit on the backside or front of the bracket? sorry for all the questions just trying to get the overall picture, the video didnt work.

new zed thats what i was thinking but didnt want to be that new guy lol.