HybridZ

New S30 D Brinkworth flare kit (New Installed Pics)

JPN_Garage

All it takes is one dope demo car. Look at all the JDM demo cars, probably wouldn't look as good with bad wheels and fitment, but once you slap some better wheels on it, it may look good.

Im not a fan of the black eye look or widend steelies but set it off on some modern wheels would look decent.

Edited by Hypertek

I'm not sure if they were there before but I am a fan of the Z Speed Flares now on the website. regardless of the negative feedback here, i applaud you guys for continuing to develop parts for the S30 chassis. Datsun owners are some of the cheapest and pickiest car guys I've ever known, almost as bad as 1st and 2nd gen rx7 guys

Edited by Sovereign Z

OP's flares look good installed, well done for thinking outside the box. If anyone doesn't like the back cutouts for use on a daily it looks like it would not be too hard to fill them in with a piece of say black plastic cut from a sheet, ABS maybe.

I think these are so close to being perfect, but the fronts are really not working at all for my taste. The rears are great, except for the angle of the back portion. These seem to be trying to capture the essence of a Liberty Walk flare set, but in execution they miss the mark for me. If you look at what LB is doing, they are accentuating existing body lines and creases with the angles.

Liberty Walk Aventador:

liberty-walk-458.png

24-speedhunters-liberty-walk-aventador-s

This set is visually jumping through a lot of hoops to do something similar, but in a way that misses the point a bit. The front flares in particular are just not coming together; the problem is the rising line that comes up to join back to the existing character line. I really do think you'd be better off with no rocker portion at all (as some have suggested) if you're going to do that, or making the lower rocker portion fare in like the ABR S130 flares and having this require some cutting to install (or make it a full fender replacement).

ABR S130 flares:

Overboost_280_ZX_-_10.JPG

I think for the price y'all are charging, these are a great starting point, and even with these criticisms, I'd probably still be seriously considering a set if I had a Z in my garage. I spent a few minutes in photoshop with a random car I pulled off the internet to visualize what I think would improve these if they make it to a Version II. Looking at how Liberty Walk treats cars that don't have dramatic body lines at the mid-line (GTR, M3), I just brought the front flares all the way down to the rocker. On the rears, I made sure that the crease line where they terminate aligns with the existing character line, and that the trailing edge follows the bodyline of the car. I think mine have too many rivets, and now that I look at it, I think it would be cool to have a small cladding piece at the bottom of the door to tie in that portion of the rocker line as well, but I don't have time to work that out just now.

LibertyWalkEsque_zpsr3dsswal.jpg

Here is the LB Works GTR to show how they did their front fenders:

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_Liberty_Walk_Nis

• Like 1

I imagine at this point it is going to be prohibitively expensive for them to change anything if the molds are made and they are ready to ship flares to people. That's why I suggested revisions for a version II in the future.

Whether or not it's your thing, the LIberty Walk kits are casting a long shadow because they seem to be well designed for the cars they go on. I think the Rocket Bunny kits are trying to take that feel and bring it to the masses, but they aren't quite as "right" looking to me. This kit, as it currently stands, feels like it is one more degree of adaptation decay. Incidentally, the owner of Liberty Walk has an S30 in his personal collection that doesn't have these kinds of flares on it: http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/liberty-walk-shakotan-s30/img_0103-hi/

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if the Brinkworth flares can be modified, possibly molded on to make it look like an entire fender replacement.

Also some fins added to sort of look like the 370Z RS-1 Fenders. I guess I would need someone to photoshop it or draw it out to see if it would actually make sense.

post-19895-0-67012900-1435252684_thumb.jpg

post-19895-0-52455100-1435252697_thumb.png

I wonder if the Brinkworth flares can be modified, possibly molded on to make it look like an entire fender replacement.

Also some fins added to sort of look like the 370Z RS-1 Fenders. I guess I would need someone to photoshop it or draw it out to see if it would actually make sense.

Jeez that is sick i would be all over that if i owned a 370...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I do agree about closer to the original lines intersecting. But the front flares terminating early with the rear of the wheel open is beautiful. I could see it reaching to the rear of the front fender so the bottom portion could be removed, allowing for venting etc. the rears maybe just a better line around the doors ( it always appears at a twisted awkward angle to me.... Other than that, I think spot on!