HybridZ

Track day project

aongch

I like these vids. Straight 6 sounds are addicting! Local trackers, older vids.

One of my sessions at home track ACS Fontana CA. High speed track, topping out at 145 on the front straight in the E46.

Edited by aongch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should have a look into the Link ECU's, mine requires rewiring but they also do one which fits inside the stock ECU case and can be used with stock wiring only other ECU I would have considered was a Motec.

Regarding weight, my wildwood setup actually weights less than my stock setup did so I doubt you've added any weight there. 8.8kg vs 9kg

Regarding the fuel cell, its going to be safer removing it from the passenger compartment and you will also benefit by having the weight lower, it depends if you think its worth the cost as it looks like you'll also have to redo part of your exhaust for this.

Your exhaust seems very loud, I wouldn't be able to run on many tracks round her with on that loud.

Interesting corner balance numbers. The usual problem is getting weight moved to the Right Front. Back in the day it has been mentioned that new motor mounts were made to allow the SCCA engine to be moved over more than an inch to the right and back about 3/4-inch. Legal? NFW.

Lessons learned, leave the battery up front and make sure the fuel cell is as far right as possible.

Total body weight is spot on for a caged car with an interior, driver and fuel.

I assume the corner balancing was done with the sway bars and strut bars disconnected to start.

Nice looking set-up and forget what anyone says about your exhaust noise. I love it.

It'll be interesting when I start tracking this soon, been tracking for the past 7 yrs in the M3 and prior Subaru, and instructing some, always focusing on dialing susp, brakes, tires first before any engine mods. I might have to take different lines vs the M3, dunno, but definitely will try tighter lines since EVERYTHING seems to be more immed with the Z.

Agree on most of the points, having the fuel cell lower and more to the pass side makes sense. Been looking into best ways to shield it away from passenger compartment.

Loving the loud deep RB tones and as long as I'm not at MLS (Laguna Seca) no restrictions in my area, keeping the exhaust with just a resonator  :)

Those front engine bay strut bars can be adjusted to move in and out. I am making an assumption that one could control some portion of the weight movement by doing so.

The BSR and BRE cars all had welded braces so nothing could be done with those other than to move internal items, like engines and such.

West End did adjust the front STB at the strut mounting holes, for fine tuning camber changes and did not impact corner weight appreciably. I have the older EMI plates which are not fully slotted (future upgrade) but have specific adj mount points. Current camber set at -2.75 ft and -2.3 rr.  Next hole adj at front would give -3.25, maybe too much for now.....but pyrometer readings will tell all on my first track day :)

As far as weight distrib I'm excited about ATL 8 or 12 gal upgrade to mount below the floor offset towards the passenger side. Battery can remain at stock location. 

Anyone can comment on this 12 gal, I'm looking for short height for under-floor mount?

ATL12gal.jpg

Edited by aongch

Done with the front ARP extended studs, rears to complete soon, I feel much safer now!!  Threads are now M12 x 1.5. Front needed a 15 mm spacer to clear the Wilwoods with this street setup, but I'll probably keep the spacer for a little wider footprint for the track wheels.

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

Edited by aongch

My plan to shake things up will be this event, anybody local want to join on the 10th? I usually run the big track but will start off with auto-x for initial setup and working out any bugs. Been tracking with Speed Ventures for years, nice outfit. The auto-x is a non-work event, meaning you'll get 20-30 runs (~30-35 secs) if you stick around long enough. 

SV2015Jan.jpg

I might just end up signing up for the big track instead of auto-x, still prepping, fluids to change, ATE Blue, Redline, etc. 

Edited by aongch

A little bit of rain kept me indoors, some good came out of that.

Had to cover up the ugly center tunnel, decided on the oem look, doesn't add that much weight.

IMG_3975.jpg

Five-point harness a must

IMG_4038.jpg

Thinking proper way to mount the ATL cell underneath, current tank sits secured on top. Is another option to build a tight steel box since I've seen those in ITS cars.

IMG_3970.jpg

Edited by aongch

I'm upgrading to ATL SP112 (12 gal) and relocating to underneath the floor. Any suggestions on where to place the Aeromotive pump and dual filters? Passenger side by rear side frame rail, or front of tank near diff carrier? Should I go with new hard lines or braided steel? Again, for a mainly tracked car, best safety in mind. I've been searching and looking at ITS set ups coming up with lots of variations.

Btw, I always use a driver's suit, full carbon-x underwear, balaclava, gloves, not cutting corners, even in So Cal heat.

Edited by aongch

• 2 weeks later...

Work is progressing on the ATL fuel cell conversion. This is to SCCA specs, totally encased, framing will be built and welded to frame rails, and all filters and pump will be underneath. I'm not messing around in this area!

Full credit here goes to Offset Motorwerks in Glendora CA.

IMG_4041.jpg

Under framing 1"x1" tubing, consulted Spec E30 official to meet SCCA rules. Cell will also be supported once dropped in.

IMG_4045.jpg

Stabilizing straps, and notice the 12-gal tank has plenty of ground clearance. Track days are short, mileage wise, not worried about the smaller capacity.

IMG_4101.jpg

Full credit here goes to Offset Motorwerks in Glendora CA.

Edited by aongch

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more things done. Using ATE Super Blue now, was on Motul RB600 on prior cars, we'll see.

IMG_4211.jpg

Also the ATL install moved the cross weight just a bit away from 50/50%, which I will address before tracking, but at least center of gravity is now better, lower.

This is with 150 lb driver and about 4 gallons gas:

Z%20weight%20Offset.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, wish I could give you updates on the Quaife, but not installed yet. I'm having a hard time finding a local diff shop that can install it correctly. Have called several but need more comfort level on ones that are familiar with our R200s.  

I bought it since have been used for track duty by many. If anyone have inputs, chime in please........

Hope you find somewhere and get it installed soon, bound to feel a lot better on track. Plenty of guys use them here and do seem to like them, great thing is they are almost unbreakable and don't require maintenance.

My car will be out next month, can't wait to try out the RB properly and try my OS Giken LSD, I went for that over a Quaife so hopefully its as good as it should be.

• aongch changed the title to Track day project