HybridZ

Temp Sensor

leifbert

Depending on which lower thermostat housing you have, there should be a couple of available ports. When facing the engine, I used one that was just to the left of the temp sensor for the dash gauge. There was another to the right that I used for the coolant feed to the turbo. They're both British Pipe thread, but you can run a 3/8NPT tap into them and the GM sensor will thread in just fine. 

I don't recall which engine I got my lower housing from though. Probably the turbo engine.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Im having the same issue. I have an 83 l28et in my 78 280z. I'm trying to figure out how and where to install the 3/8 GM temp sensor for megasquirt.

For those of you that installed it on the head, did you drill out where the original sensor was to match the 3/8 thread? How did you mount it?

For those of you that installed it in the thermostat, was this relatively simple? Can I just get it tapped at a machine shop for the 3/8 thread?

My tuner mentioned that it would be best to have the sensor in a spot where coolant runs without the thermostat having to open. I've seen some people place it on the radiator hoses which I don't want to do. So would placing the sensor on the thermostat housing be ok as long as it's before the thermostat opens up?

Thanks.

I just tapped my thermostat housing in the location most everyone has placed it.  A 3/8" tap is cheap, and recutting the threads in the housing is easy.  Do it yourself.

I question putting it in the head.  I thought the location on the P90 head for the ECCS sensor is dry.  Putting a sensor in there designed to be immersed in the coolant may not indicate properly.