HybridZ

Which T56 Magnum for LS7 swap?

Still doing a lot of research here, but I am stuck on what is probably a dumb question. I have an LS7 (Picking it up from machine shop today!) that I will be swapping into my 75 280z. I am confused on which T56 Magnum I should buy. This isn't from a performance standpoint, but for which vehicle should I order the transmission (98-02 Camaro)? (planning on going Tick or RPM stage IV/V). Also, does anyone have any insight on which bellhousing will fit 1&3/4" longtubes the best?

Thanks for the help.

98-02 camaro should work. The header question is more complicated. Depends on the motor mount system you use. If you are using Hawks mounts get their headers. If using JCI mounts, use JCI headers. I really like my JTR headers because they are easy to work with. It is really crowded under the Z but the 280 does have more room than a 240z. There was a long tube header group buy a few years ago for JCI mounted cars and those should fit (try placing a wanted ad in the classifieds). BUT, none of these systems are guaranteed fit. Don't pre-order your headers coated. Buy them un-coated and be prepared to have to modify ANY of them. Mock up the car, modify as needed, THEN have them coated. The stock bell housing is the most slim, so if you never plan to race, stick to it. But if you plan to race, the only bellhousing to get is the Quick Time. I think the part number ends with -8020. It is wider than the stock bell, so expect header conflicts but just be prepared to deal with them, I don't think it can be avoided. There are enough quality control issues with after market race parts that some guys have header clearance trouble and some guys don't. Cool project-hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the help -- confirming that makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger on the trans! I will be using the JCI mounts and will definitely look into the long tubes. I think I found the group buy thread in my searches. Also, being a road race/track car, it seems that the Quick Time housing will be the way to go. I also appreciate the insight on the coating (I'm all about only spending money once...)

Thanks again! I really need to start a build thread soon...

Are you a licensed racer trying to win points and a championship? Or are you like me, just having fun when your family and job will allow it? Have you seen CobraMatt's projects thread? He is a national champ in NASA and races almost every weekend in either his Z (down now for heavy mods) or his Corvette. He is super nice, but he won't give you much info cause he is racing for trophies and sponsorship, so learn what you can from his build, but don't expect anything when it comes to exact specs. I have two track days with him as instructor and he is super nice and generous, but he is very direct and doesn't like to waste one minute of time.

And if you're going built LS7 power wise + stick shift then plan on building a strong strong rear end setup. Then sell it for cheap so we can all have it before grenades ours at a max of 450rwhp lol

Can't wait to see the build!

Haha goal is 500+whp N/A, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up closer to 550. I will definitely be putting a lot of work into the rear end -- still sorting through threads to find a great road race setup. Hoping to just modify the R200 that's in the car (Quaife, maybe?) Hoping I won't need to find an R230.

Are you a licensed racer trying to win points and a championship? Or are you like me, just having fun when your family and job will allow it? Have you seen CobraMatt's projects thread? He is a national champ in NASA and races almost every weekend in either his Z (down now for heavy mods) or his Corvette. He is super nice, but he won't give you much info cause he is racing for trophies and sponsorship, so learn what you can from his build, but don't expect anything when it comes to exact specs. I have two track days with him as instructor and he is super nice and generous, but he is very direct and doesn't like to waste one minute of time.

Definitely not racing in any championships -- my brother and I are going into this together for weekend fun. It'll be track car number 2 with our old E36 M3 not being quite fast enough for us anymore. I appreciate the heads up with respect to CobraMatt's build thread -- I will have to check that out as I'm sure it will be very helpful!