HybridZ

VQ35DE 73 240 Build

Tank

Road videos will have to wait, battling the coolant system...can’t seem to get this thing completely bled. 

And, the rear end is making some noises that are concerning. One of which I think I know the issue. The right stub axle stud heads rub the diff housing on decel. It’s almost like the diff stub axle isn’t completely popped in place (obx helical lsd).

Plus, the 3.9 is a little too much with cd009 transmission. I have a 3.5 I may build and swap. Just need to drive it more to make a decision. I’ve only put 60 miles on it!

Edited by Tank

Thanks. Cross fingers, I think I have the coolant system bled now. That's what I thought previously as well until I really got on it (triple digit speed) and pushed an air pocket through. Now on to the rear.

Edited by Tank

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up rebuilding the 3.5 rear I had which took 3 weeks and lots of headaches getting the right parts. All new bearings, Mfactory lsd, ended up at .006 backlash with no additional shims required. Should have it back in tomorrow and back on the road Saturday.

• 3 months later...

Been a bit since I updated but I've put about 400 miles on it. Such a blast to drive, it's ridiculous how well it handles and goes. No drama, just does what you ask of it.

For the cooling, I had to change to a recirculating overflow tank. So now it can push/pull fluid with heat cycles.

ytSwnMdzTUiHERsZ50oB0w.jpg

Photo Jul 18, 7 51 49 AM.jpg

• 2 months later...

Before putting it up for the winter, I changed wheels that have tires that are cold weather friendly. Totally changed the look, I only have these 2 pictures but I'll run them in the spring until the weather warms up. Then I'll switch back to the black wheels/tires.

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

15 hours ago, 260DET said:

What nice work, should handle great with the engine set back you have, just keep that front spoiler on to reduce front end lift at high speed. It's a true sleeper, wow!

Thanks, It's amazing how fun it is to drive. I wish I could run the spoiler on the front all of the time but here in the mountains, it would get torn off pretty quick because of the angles of driveways and entrances.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:46 AM, 260DET said:

Enough of the show pics, get it out on a road course with in-car video and lots of 'wows!'

Right! I was talking to a guy about that recently as well. There is another show or two in October so this may be the last show quality show. It needs to be used as designed.

• 2 years later...

@Tank Following your lead on this for the VQ35DE/CD009 conversion in my 75 280Z. Yours looks great - I assume you are still enjoying it.

Few questions - did you figure out why the cooling system was difficult to bleed (I saw you noted it only cleared after some high-PRM use)?

Does the conversion need a catch can (did you keep the factory crankcase breather setup as well)?

Do you feel the Kinetix plenum made a noticeable difference? I'm on the fence as to whether to add that to the parts list. I've read you can port the lower intake to alleviate some of the design flaw?

Did you consider using the 350Z rear axle? the '06 parts car I have is complete, so I'm considering it, however there is much documentation on bracing the short nose rear axle  in place of the long nose that I can find. I can fabricate, I just need visual guides.

3 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

@Tank Following your lead on this for the VQ35DE/CD009 conversion in my 75 280Z. Yours looks great - I assume you are still enjoying it.

Few questions - did you figure out why the cooling system was difficult to bleed (I saw you noted it only cleared after some high-PRM use)?

Does the conversion need a catch can (did you keep the factory crankcase breather setup as well)?

Do you feel the Kinetix plenum made a noticeable difference? I'm on the fence as to whether to add that to the parts list. I've read you can port the lower intake to alleviate some of the design flaw?

Did you consider using the 350Z rear axle? the '06 parts car I have is complete, so I'm considering it, however there is much documentation on bracing the short nose rear axle  in place of the long nose that I can find. I can fabricate, I just need visual guides.

Absolutely, it's stored for the season but I've been enjoying it for sure. 

I think mine was particularly difficult to bleed the cooling because I deleted a lot of the piping around the motor which left me some nooks and crannies for air bubbles. Changing to the expansion tank helped it as well so it could push/pull coolant with heat cycles.

An oil catch can is optional, not a must have. And the one I have vents to atmosphere rather than recirculating vapor. I don't mind smelling oil.

As for the plenum, it's optional as well, the kinetix flows better than stock and is light being that it is plastic. I never drove it with the stock plenum so I can't speak to the differences.

If I had an entire car, I would probably change the rear to the 350z parts. The one modification I'm still looking at is changing the entire rear setup. There's just too much drivetrain slop in my current setup.

IMG_9563.jpeg.2decda4c34f8e8c82b6c9e7a502ff6cc.jpeg