HybridZ

Pikes Peaks 2016

Nice use of plywood!

Btw, 2:04 is not to shabby for first time to VIR. Based on what I have seen on this forum, you are definetly ready for Pikes Peak.

You might want to read the rest of the thread. I don't think he's ready for much right now.

Damn man that sucks but at least it happened there and not earlier in the course where it looked like it was just a sheer cliff. Like others have said, cars can be rebuilt, glad youre ok.

That course looks sketchy AF though... youve got way bigger balls than me.

I also have recently sold a rust free shell 71 240z to a guy locally in lansing michigan and I'm not sure how committed he is to building it so let me know and i can give you his contact info if interested.

Sure couldn't hurt to ask.  An early one would be lighter and the cage I would put in it lighter structure shouldnt matter much.  I know this is a Z forum but unless could find a REALLY clean one that didn't need frame rails, dogleg, floors, etc it would likely take me a couple years to duplicate what I had with the free car build time I have.  I do really want another Z but am thinking of next build to maybe be a late model with MUCH better suspension ... like possibly RX8 / LS swap.  Not the best looks but seems like could be a really competitive platform.  Still mulling around what to do.

I know we all like to fly the Z flag but if you do have to start over a newer platform could be a better move.  Not only suspension is better but you get a stiffer chassis often and much better aero.  Sure you can get there with a Z but you're going to need to do a lot of work rebuilding much of the car.  So my vote from a racing results standpoint would be to look at some other platforms.

Cary

73 shell in IA for $600: https://www.facebook.com/groups/386021341481608/permalink/1394677927282606/?sale_post_id=1394677927282606

I don't think you're a member there Cameron. Tried to tag you and it wouldn't let me. Its the 240z 260z 280z lovers Facebook group.

That link doesnt work but I went to their Facebook page and didnt see any for sale adds.

Edited by heavy85

I also have recently sold a rust free shell 71 240z to a guy locally in lansing michigan and I'm not sure how committed he is to building it so let me know and i can give you his contact info if interested.

turns out he wants to hold on to the car, will let you know if anything changes

• 1 month later...

So to end the story,  not one but TWO gland nuts completely backed out prior to impact.  I check these before every event because sometime the are a smidge not completely tight and even made a custom tool to tighten them in car.   They were verified tight a couple days before the event and I've run this car this way for 13 years.  For whatever reason after less than two laps here two of them backed all the way out.  It was the right rear and left front which is why it came around so fast.  I should have not been pushing so hard so early but may not have ended like this if they hadn't come out.

So am currently knee deep in putting the same engine into an RX8. I loved the Z and it hurts can never replace it but is time move on.  I keep thinking of saving all the Z parts for a later date but realistically there won't be a later date.  So if anyone wants to make a serious offer on EVERYTHING Z I have .....  Diamond wheels w/R7, Rota grid,  random gold 15" rims, one season old pimp custom OSGiken, Nissan clutch lsd, 3.54, 3.71, 3.9 diffs, custom crossmember to mount LS1, Camaro fuel tank and plumbing, Sanderson LS headers, complete mint stock brake setup minus booster, complete race brake set-up including custom dual master w/ adjuster cable (outlaw calipers, new two piece rotors, hawk pads, 240sx rears), two sets 280zxt axles with both 240 and 280 adapters, sweet dash except notches for cage, lots of custom suspension bits (see underneath pics above but need careful inspection after incident), EMI camber plates, momo steering wheel adapter, Koni race struts, stock complete l24 long lock, 240 radiator, set of new wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc.    Basically LS race Z starter kit plus spares and leftover stock bits.  With a reasonable offer it can all be yours package deal.  

Edited by heavy85