HybridZ

Longnose R200 input shaft interchangeability

BTF/PTM

Hey everyone,

I've dug high and low, and I'm pretty confident that this question hasn't been answered yet. 

From what I've found already, the bearings and seals are the same for all the long-nose R200's, and the driveshaft flanges can be swapped as well.  And of course, the diff carrier can be swapped (open to LSD, for example).  This implies that all long-nose R200 input shafts were, except for the tooth count on the pinion, dimensionally identical.  My question:

Are the tooth pitches of the rings and pinions also the same?  For example, could you take an 11-tooth input shaft out of a 3.54:1 diff with a 39-tooth ring, and install a 10-tooth input shaft to make a 3.90:1?

I realize that the question of durability would come up, having put a gear with wear pattern A against a gear with different wear pattern B, but new R200 gears aren't exactly off-the-shelf anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

That does not work. The gears are ground to a specific helical size and run in on a machine to make a matched set. You might be able to swap pinion gears that are the same ratio but most likely the whine would be unbearable, but you can't change just one gear to change gear ratio.