HybridZ

Looking for engine suggestions!

Guest Anonymous

Does this make this post number 100 then?

(BTW, my point about the GM 5spd auto was that BMW actually buys these from GM for use in their cars. Go figure. I'd presume that they (GM) also use this unit in many of their own cars and therefore there might be a bellhousing for the 3800)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I know BMW used to use Getrag transmissions in the earlier cars, as well I've noticed that GM started advertising the Getrags in the sunfires a year or two ago. Does anyone know if BMW actually owns Getrag? I have a feeling they don't.

------------------

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, I had to jump in since I started this thing . . . wink.gif

All this talk of autos is making me queasy, if you are dragging that's fine, but for road racing you are off your rocker, especially when dealing with the NA motors.

Guest LoFlyingZ

I know you're talking about road racing. So along that line I guess you should decide on the class you want to be in. That will make a difference. Once that is decided then the car requirements will limit you to what you can or can't do. If you want a hot street car that you can race and being in a higher class doesn't bother you, I would look seriously at a v8.IMHO You can get a v8 to turn as high as a l6 and the money it costs to do it will be not much more than what it would cost you to get the 6 to turn that high reliably. Again MHO And of course reliability and longevity will always be a issue when you spin motors that high no matter if it is a 6 or v8.

Of course, that has been gone over before. So I think I will go now!

------------------

worlst@hotmail.com

Plus you have to remember that turning higher RPMs does not equate to making HP or Torque. My car makes good usable torque from reasonably low RPMs, but not so low that it will be undrivable out of the corners. Also, if you go the V8 route, you can take advantage of a host of roller valve train goodies that will rev MUCH faster than the traditional inline six valve train, making peak HP faster.

Let me pose this question, do you think a motor will have more longevity if it makes all its peak HP at 4500-5500RPMs or if you have to turn the motor up to 7500RPMs? I know for a fact that the Nissan inline 6 motors are notorious for destroying harmonic balancer/ crank pulleys at revs above 6500RPMs... Broke many of them myself. To me, and every engine builder I have ever worked with or planned an engine build with, you gain nothing by having a higher reving motor, if you can get to the same HP in a lower RPM range, which is what you essentially get with the V8!

My $.02 on the subject...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest RON JONES

Mike makes a good point here.In my case,I decided to go with a motor that did not have to go over 7000 to 7500rpm to make peek Hp.I bought all my components for the motor with this in mind.The cam I choose was supose to make power till 7800rpm.I have always found that cams almost never come close to there RPM peek.On the Dyno my motor made its peek HP at 6500rpm.A little lower than I wanted,but thats fine because it will last that much longer.My point is if Anyone decides to build a high reving motor, and buys a cam shaft that is rated at,this is just a example,8500rpm.If you don't dyno it to find out where your peek HP is,and you are going to rev the motor to 8500 because this is where the cam is rated,you could very well be over reving the snot out of it.I know someone that built a high reving SBF and went out and bought a cam that was rated to 8500.This is where He would shift it,and had it geared to go though traps at around that RPM.His motors didn't last that long,blowing up two of them.The third one went to the dyno.Peek HP at 8500?Nope,7800rpm.He hasn't blown one up since.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited February 03, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

My hope is to use the SBF and get peak hp at a point that when shifting to the next gear I am already in the power band instead of climbing into it. i.e. redline/power peak at 6500-7k with a cam designed for power between 2500-3 to 7k. This way the car is always on the boil.

As for the rev discussion, did anyone see the 24 hours of Daytona? The Corvette won running away when the upped the displacement and lowered the peak revs to keep the motor together . . . Very Interesting! However, pure reliability did play a role in that the ever performing porsches were able to take 2-3 in a lower class! But anybody who drives a porsche knows, these motors will rev, but do not have to to make power.

Maybe that old addage that there is no replacement for displacement is more true than a techy like me is willing to admit!

Also, does anyone know anything about the high torque aftermarket Tremec 5-speed? I saw it on hot rod tv this weekend and it may be the way to go for me.

Thanks

Guest JAMIE T

Its call a TKO, it has a higher torque rating than a standard Tremec 3550 model, it uses a GM TH400 output shaft to the drive shaft, but the tremec bellhousing bolts it to a Ford no problem!!!

Guest JAMIE T

Its call a TKO, it has a higher torque rating than a standard Tremec 3550 model, it uses a GM TH400 output shaft to the drive shaft, but the tremec bellhousing bolts it to a Ford no problem!!! If you have any 5.0 Ford questions, don't hesitate to ask me, I have a lot of knowledge about this subject that I would be glad to give away:d