HybridZ

Looking for engine suggestions!

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JAMIE T

I kind of agree with Scottie about the factory forced induction bit, if you do want forced induction. Hey Scottie, were does one find one of these hot litte hairdryers??? MOTOR, COMPUTER, TRANS, ETC...

As for a manual trans behind the Buick motor, the motor has the standard B-O-P bellhousing bolt pattern and it has been done. It just is not a popular option for the Buick and TransAm TTA crowd for some obvious reasons. It has been reported (never seen it confirmed) that it "slows" the car down. Remember, this is a drag racing mindset and lets face it, who is going to be putting a 3700lb Buick Regal through the twisties biggrin.gif? Besides, why go to the expense of swapping out the slushbox for a 5-spd then worry about the inconsistencies of launching a 500hp turbo motor and snapping parts? Not that launching off a transbrake with 15# wont hurt the car, but.....

Since there seems to be some interest, I will inquire on the forums and see if I can get the details of the swap.

As some of you might have gathered, I am not in my 20s biggrin.gif. At last count, my latest car is my 42nd and only the 5th automatic. I was definitely in that "no slushbox" mindset. The first auto was my first car and I did not care if it had no tranny biggrin.gif. The 2nd was to please my GF (now wife) and it was a '70 340 Duster and she was just learning to drive but wanted to hit the drag strip before she even got her license. The 3rd was a cherry '67 Plymouth Valiant convertible with a 273 V-8 (wish I had that one now). My current daily driver is a '73 Navajo. It was with some reluctance that I went with an auto in the Z but I just did not think it affordable to run in the 10s with the IRS with a manual. The Z is not a daily driver and I have another toy when I want to row gears and do the twisties, but I have to admit, I have no regrets at all about the auto in the Z.

Enough rambling.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

First off, thanks alot for the compliment rich. I really apreciate it. Its nice to hear when youve helped someone make a decision that they are happy with!!!!

Second, scottie i do belive the whole deal about the transmission. BUT, i am 20 and i want a manual gearbox. Im not a hardcore dragracer, and just like to shift. It keeps me entertained. I can put the auto back in when the novelty wears off! HAAHAA

Anywho, lots of great stuff on this post. Keep it coming guys.

Evan

PS, this post contains enough info to answer almost every engine swap question i have ever had. You guys should link it and call it FAQ lol.

That sig is an offering from the guy who runs the board and everyone thinks it is neat.

Maybe Dan might consider that biggrin.gif. I am sure one the web graphical gurus could take on that challenge.

Below is what Drax is referring to. Everyone member on one the Buick Turbo forums can have a personalized signature. This is mine:

Scottie-gnz.gif

Guest Anonymous

Well guys, it looks like we are on our way to 100! As for the turbo, it is not really my end goal, only if I get power hungry. From what I hear from my ford guy I can get the 4.9 to rev all day and produce 350+ fwhp without any problem and I really think that may be enough for my needs and certainly the extent of my budget (yes I sill use that word).

As for the GN 3.8 turbo, that would be fantastic, however I need to be convinced of the manual transmission option. Let me know what comes about. Also, are there mounting problems with the 3.8 or can the 5.7 mounts be used with some modification?

Thanks!

i'm curious, why did you decide to go for the straight six instead of a 5.0? it would almost certainly be cheaper to get the power you want from a 5.0... the old 300 can make ungodly amounts of torque, but from what i understand, is somewhat better suited to truck duty than flinging around a lightweight z...

edit: however, your engine builder obviously has a bit more knowledge in the area than i do smile.gif

[This message has been edited by pauli (edited January 29, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the 302 is technically under 5.0 litre. I think Chevy's 305 is closer to if not a full 5.0 litre. It was called only a 302 for years until they got on the kick of using Metric measurement for displacement here in the states. Ford just rounded it up, either to compete, or it just sounded cooler.

At any rate, while calling it a 4.9 is technically correct, order a part at Kragen like that and they'll look at you like you have a third eye.

Lone

I think the factory differences are listed in some other threads here, probably in the chassis forum.

Basically the 280Z's have more meat to their frames than the 260Z's do, which in turn have a bit more meat than the 240Z's. However: If you start with a 240Z and add chassis stiffening to it, you should be able to exceed the overall stiffness of the 280Z with a lighter car. (roll cage is a good start!) I think the 280z's can be made to be around 2700lbs without extreme lightening.

------------------

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

To answer Roamer's question regarding swapping the entire ZX rear: ZXs have a completely different rear suspension

As far as this topic goes, it's amazing to me how many widely differing swaps there are to consider for this car. I can't think of any other sports car that has as much variety of engines to choose from: L6, 24valve L6, OHC V6 & V8 (I've seen pics of a Z with a Lexus 32valve V8), pushrod V6 & V8, V12 (pic posted recently), turbos, super chargers, etc, etc.

Very cool.

As to the auto vs. manual thing, I definately prefer the manual (and I'm old too). They're more fun. I've never driven an auto that agreed with me. There always seems to be shifting when I don't want it, or not shifting when I do.

I wonder if the GM 5 speed auto could be bolted to a GN? That might make it more palatable. Prob'ly expensive though.

The GN seems to have an incredibly nice power to dollar ratio going for it.

(I'm basically going to wander back and forth on this engine decision for the next year or so, piling on to which ever discussion about the virtues of various engines, being very fickle and wishy-washy. Prob'ly change my mind like 15 times or so.)

Guest Anonymous

Pauli, if your response was to my thread I am going with the Ford SB. 4.9 is the CORRECT displacement for the venerable 5.0, size of one's penis thing I think.

Other questions, I saw the discussion of the CV adapter for the 280, why not swap out the whole rear end from a 280zx turbo instead?

Another question, are there any differences between the chassis strength of the 240/260/280, I am very concerned about twisting the car apart with the torque. I WILL be adding a 5-point cage to help this but are there any factory differences that would help with structural rigidity?

i was actually thinking about posting in drivetrain to see if there were any strong but efficient 5speed autos that could be used (just out of curiosity)... the only 5spd auto from gm i know about is the allison unit in hd trucks, which is probably extremely heavy and not particularly efficient. unless you want your z for towing, anyway.

I don't know all that much about the various GM offerings, but I do know that they make a 5sp auto. BMW puts it in their cars, believe it or not.

They also make the auto transaxle that Porsche uses (at least they used to) in the 928.

Doesn't the Corvette use a 5sp auto?

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, 5sp Auto's. Maybe Bimmer? I think they put one behind they're 4.0 V8 (a honey of a engine BTW). Obviously it'll take some engineering to put it behind anything else.

Lone

Guest LoFlyingZ

This thread is so close to 100 that I think I'll even join in on the fun. I agree with all those who support the v8 route. I was going to build a hot L6 and then realized that for the money I could build a decent v8 and end up with an engine with the same power and greater reliability. I still have a lot of L6 parts and may finish that motor someday just to prove the concept I was working on, but I decided to go v8.

Anyway, I'm working on a 302/5.0l swap right now. Got a digital camera and plan to document the whole thing. smile.gif That should make some people happy.

Next post is 100!

------------------

worlst@hotmail.com