HybridZ

L28 Megasquirt setup

Alright, pretty simple question. I have these three things:

• L28 out of an 81 ZX
  • Megasquirt 2 with 10' harness
  • 260z

What do I need to get this working as cheap as possible? The ZX came with a cut harness so I have none of the original electronics besides what's attached to the engine. From what I've read so far I'm going to need an IAT setup (If somebody could elaborate on what I would need to do there that would be great). wideband sensor (Is the Innovate LC-2 on diyautotunes site a good setup?), and a bunch of misc wiring components. I also saw something about having to use resistors on the stock injectors but I'm not too sure.

Not a very simple question. If you are wanting to be spoon fed on the installation you won't get much help here. Not trying to slam you, but you obviously haven't done some serious studying on this. Have you read through the MS forums here?

The Megamanuals go into great detail and many including me have taken time to post our projects.

You should also be posting in the MS forum, not the L6  

Yes the Megamanual is a lot of reading and unfortunately, You will be reading it atleast 10 times. No Joke. Become a member on the Megasquirt site. Best advice is to, save links, save links, save links and read, read, read. You also need to decide how you want to get spark to the plugs. Bip Module, Crank trigger, Hall sensor, HEI Module. EDIS.  If your going to turbo the engine or not.

Quick List for you..

Relay Box and fuse box,  Make your own or buy one

G.M..Intake air sensor

90's Nissan TPS Sensor.    Linear type Needed 

Low impedance injectors    Resistors needed.

High impedance injectors   No resistors needed

LC2 Wideband unit or whatever you choose

280z Electric fuel pump or aftermarket unit.

Remove.

Engine harness

Air Flow Meter

Your Welcome :)

Yes the Megamanual is a lot of reading and unfortunately, You will be reading it atleast 10 times. No Joke. Become a member on the Megasquirt site. Best advice is to, save links, save links, save links and read, read, read. You also need to decide how you want to get spark to the plugs. Bip Module, Crank trigger, Hall sensor, HEI Module. EDIS.  If your going to turbo the engine or not.

Quick List for you..

Relay Box and fuse box,  Make your own or buy one

G.M..Intake air sensor

90's Nissan TPS Sensor.    Linear type Needed 

Low impedance injectors    Resistors needed.

High impedance injectors   No resistors needed

LC2 Wideband unit or whatever you choose

280z Electric fuel pump or aftermarket unit.

Remove.

Engine harness

Air Flow Meter

Your Welcome :)

HA! Seriously ... 10 times

I have been reading about this, and I feel like I spend a good bit of time and then figure something out, then look back and laugh that it took that that long to understand that very simple concept. 

I have a feeling MS is one of those things that once you understand it become very simple. 

I'm on round 2 on 10 of my thread reading.

As you figure this out, post lots of pictures!  I have noticed a lot of people talk about it, but I think it would help to see more pic's.  When I do mine I think I might put up a good post or two because MS is actually really interesting and it's kinda fun to learn about it really. It takes some time,  but its really nice to know your machine very well. Good luck brother.

Eh, a little under a year wouldn't be a bad estimate. Some of the things I'll need to set up anyways such as fueling, wideband and some other wiring. There's a couple shows early this year that i'd really like to make it out to so worth it to me. I'm considering at this point just ripping the harness out of a junkyard ZX and just kinda stuffing it under the hood. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I hear you brother. I'm going thru the same I have a 260z with a l28et on the stand waiting to do the swap. I totally understand what people are saying here of reading, reading and when you are done that start reading again. I wish that between all the suppose call "experts" here will put a complete startup guide to do a basic l28et conversion with megasquirt with pictures and basic tunning files so that way all of the rest of us newbies won't be asking the same questions over and over

just my 2cents...

Hey I hear you brother. I'm going thru the same I have a 260z with a l28et on the stand waiting to do the swap. I totally understand what people are saying here of reading, reading and when you are done that start reading again. I wish that between all the suppose call "experts" here will put a complete startup guide to do a basic l28et conversion with megasquirt with pictures and basic tunning files so that way all of the rest of us newbies won't be asking the same questions over and over

just my 2cents...

It's there, you just need to keep digging. Search every chance you get. Read megamanual on your smart phone instead of facebooking.

Eventually you will get over the steep learning hump.

Read the Megasquirt section here again and again. I also wrote up my MS3x install

These articles probably contain enough to get it done.  Think in terms of function, rather than wires and wire colors and you can probably figure it out.  Many cars use the same types of ignition systems, throttle body switches, etc. so the knowledge translates.

If you use a distributor it's even simpler.  Just get a proper signal from the coil to the MS ECU.  

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_install_writeups.htm