HybridZ

l28et w/ z31 ecu swap question

bryand2

Hey guys, I have an 82 l28et that was swapped into my 77 280z. Also swapped in the z31 turbo ecu, maf, cas and distributor guts. The problem I am having is the injectors are firing on deceleration and flushing down the cylinder walls. I was hoping someone could help identify if this ecu is supposed to be doing that or something got wired wrong possibly?

How do you know the walls are getting "flushed"?  That would be a lot of fuel.  Z31 goes up to 1989 from 1984. The ECCS systems seem to be change over the years.  Fuel cut is described in some of the FSM's but overall, the 80's FSM's are poorly written.  Describe your Z31 system and what you're using for inputs and someone might have some suggestions.

Hey guys, yes I am getting very heavy backfires. The tps is getting checked today. As far as the walls getting flushed down I thought it was because of the oil smell out the exhaust but just discovered I sometime in the past week dropped a ringland or piston ring. There is scoring on cylinder wall of #1, which leads me to believe that the cylinder wall flush down may have contributed to the scoring. Compression test results showed 110 psi on cylinder #1 with the engine cold and 90 psi with the engine warm. All other cylinders check out at 150 psi. Newzed, my z31 system consists of 86 z31 turbo ecu, maf, cas, and optical wheel. tO4e turbo, front mount intercooler, stock injectors, rail, fpr and tps. My main concern is that if I am going to replace all the pistons and have the block honed, if the injectors are still firing on decel and causing washdown it will lead to bottom end problems again so I am trying to get this figured out before the rebuild.

More likely you detonated and broke the ring and lands.

I would take your injectors out and send them for cleaning and balancing. To break a ring land in #1...my bet is the inlet screen or something is compromising flow and you lean-detonated it as opposed to 5/6 which is where it usually manifests.

I had that issue of backfiring on deceleration.  I never diagnosed the issue, but when I swapped my ECU with another ECU of the same year the backfiring went away.  My thinking at the time was the injector driver had a fault so it was not able to control the injector on-time properly.

Edited by SleeperZ