HybridZ

Swiss two-become-one 240Z Ground up restauration / JDM mods

On 4.2.2018 at 4:36 PM, z240 said:

How great to have that resource to make those bushings. Great work!  Can you tell us if he is casting them or machining them from a larger piece?

BTW,  the ES poly bushings fit the 73 and later crossmember (Item 24 in the diagram) with the horizontal mounting bolts.

Absolutely :) They are cast items

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a little more knowledge today :) After i posted pictures from my T/C rod bushings in various forum-threads, people replied that i should swap to rubber in the back. After discussing a few topics i figoured out that original rubber bushings are still available new from Nissan and ordered a set, which i was able to pick up today:
P1190618-Kopie.jpg

The problem: According to many people, the T/C rod tends to brake at the yellow area, when PU-bushings are used both in front and rear of the Frame-rail mount. This due to much counterstrength whith the hard PU-bushings.
P1190619-Kopie.jpg

For sciences' sake i decided to compare both setups with an original NOS 240Z frame rail i have in my shop.
Top: Front PU / rear Rubber
Bottom: Front PU / rear PU
P1190621-Kopie.jpg

1st: Both PU. Fits perfect, but it's very stiff, both compression and angle-movement wise.
P1190622-Kopie.jpg

Second: Front PU / rear rubber.
You still have the advantage of PU-front (less rearwards movement during compression, red arrow), while having more freedom of angle-movement (yellow arrow) and therefore minimized the chance that the T/C rod will brake.
P1190627-Kopie.jpg

So thanks all for the inputs and advice and i'll definitely stick with the PU / Rubber combination for best performance and with least failure rate :)

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update. I lately stumbled on the Nissan / Datsun USA Technical service bulletin about the change of the hatch window rear defroster lines from Vertical to horizontal:

Hatch-glass.jpg

Since i had been wondering why my cars (which were built close together) came with two different types of windows, which i figoured out lately, it cought my interest and i started to look closer.
Car 1. SNR: HLS30-59660 came with ld horizontal lines. Registered in March 1972

P1190570-Kopie.jpg

Car 2. SNR: HLS30-56801 came with Vertical lines.Registered in May 1972
P1190564-Kopie.jpg

Strange enough, the SNR of my (European spec) cars are one Digit shorter than the ones mentioned in (American) Service bulletin. Both my cars were built in late 1971, but i assume the date in the Service bulletin is not the production date of change, but the release date of the document. Given the lead time of the cars from production to first registration in switzerland, and the lead time from Production change to the release of the Service bulletin. i guess my two cars, built close together just happend to be around the change. Also it is a prove that there is nothing like a "Series 1" car mentioned often. My "older" car doesn't have the vented hatch / side emblems, but it still came with "old" type window.
Service bulletin 231 (1971 introduction of the Datsun 280Z, America) also mentions a 6-digit VIN (HLS30-6digits). So i guess we just got a different vin-Block for european cars? I checked both my stamped serials as well as the VIN-plate. Both my cars only have HLS30-5digits

6-digit-vin.jpg

Oh and then got some interesting read from the UK. Race & Rallye magazine Jan. 1993
P1190628-Kopie.jpg

It features 15 Pages intresting background information about the Works 240Z rallye cars.
P1190629-Kopie.jpg

P1190630-Kopie.jpg

Including a variety of side-stories around them. Still have to read through it, but it seems very promising :)
P1190631-Kopie.jpg

5 hours ago, jdmjunkies.ch said:

Also it is a prove that there is nothing like a "Series 1" car mentioned often. My "older" car doesn't have the vented hatch / side emblems, but it still came with "old" type window.

No, it is not proof that there is no such thing as a series one car. No one has claimed that only series one Zs came with the vertical defroster rear window, it is well known that it was used in later series cars as well. I believe the cut off for vertical defroster was around 1/72. I've included a quote from zhome below. Additionally, is it not possible that the original window in one of your cars was broken, and was then replaced with a later window?

Most 1972 Model Year 240-Z built before 01/72 had the rear window defroster lines running from the top of the rear window to the bottom of the rear window (ie. Vertical). Most 1972 Model Year 240-Z's built 01/72 and after had the rear window defroster lines running from one side of the rear window to the other side(ie. Horizontal).

As for the series one cars, people often make this way too complicated.There is no specific recipe as to what went into a series one car, since there were many changes throughout production. Series one cars are made of thinner sheet metal (I have personally measured and compared my series one chassis vs my 72 and 76 cars, later cars come in at ~1mm, series one car came in at ~0.9mm), hatch vents vs c pillar vents, and no integrated tool boxes. There are other series one specific parts as well, but not all parts used on series one cars are specific to series one cars - like the hatch glass. Also, for US market cars, all series one cars were built from start of production up until 1/71, with VINs under about 20600. Series two cars start at 21001.

The single most important thing about the "Series 1"/"Series 2" thing is that these terms were never used by Nissan. They were invented - retrospectively - in an ad-hoc fashion by 'civilians' in an attempt to make sense of what was actually being misunderstood.

It's simple really. There were rolling changes to all models and variants, and some of them are more noticeable than others and/or came at the same time. If you want to make divisions, the single most identifiable one is the change from solid quarter/vented tailgate to vented quarter/solid tailgate.    

On 23.3.2018 at 1:09 AM, HS30-H said:

It's simple really. There were rolling changes to all models and variants, and some of them are more noticeable than others and/or came at the same time. If you want to make divisions, the single most identifiable one is the change from solid quarter/vented tailgate to vented quarter/solid tailgate.    

That's exactly what i wanted to say. I think the "series" thing just confuses a lot of people and it's easier to rely on the parts manuals for individual changes for each part based on the serial number. There was never an official "facelift" kind of model-change / cut thing, but many people believe so, due to the fact everybody is talking about "series 1" and "series 2", etc cars.

On 23.3.2018 at 12:30 AM, rturbo 930 said:

No, it is not proof that there is no such thing as a series one car. No one has claimed that only series one Zs came with the vertical defroster rear window, it is well known that it was used in later series cars as well.

Still many people believe that only "series one" cars hard vertical lines. Don't want to blame anyone here for this. just wanted to explain, because a lot of people still don't understand what it's about. especially young people here in europe...

You just have to love the days, when this is in your mailbox (or next to it):
P1190707-Kopie.jpg

But let's start in chronological order. On saturday i decided it's time to get rid of the old paint (Part two) of the lately acquired chin spoiler. Since the weak paint stripper (stronger ones are forbidden now in Switzerland). didn't do anything i got out my CSD Disks and that worked pretty well.. Before:
P1190696-Kopie.jpg

And about an hour later:
P1190697-Kopie.jpg

P1190698-Kopie.jpg

Yesterday the first package then showed up at the door. A set of Dixcel front disks for the OEM Brakes (for use with the MK63 solid type calipers). I decided to go for the optional black painted center-hubs, just for the looks and to prevent the area from surface rust, which is quite common there...
P1190706-Kopie.jpg

And today some more stuff showed up at my door. Pitworks oil filter (mainly bought it because it was cheap and fitted in the same box for free..) 
P1190711-Kopie.jpg

The lately released Hayashi oil filler cap. in an awesome packing that only the japanese can do :)
P1190712-Kopie.jpg

Set of genuine JAF Emblems (not sure if i will put them on the car, but i liked it). will post some details about this in another post...
P1190714-Kopie.jpg

Mspeed firewall rubber grommet
P1190715-Kopie.jpg

Well and a little blingy Z-keychain (From mspeed), because i didn't have anything to put my keys on and it fitted in the package for free..
P1190716-Kopie.jpg

Set of NOS brake pads. not interested in the pads themselves, but needed the metal-shims, which i messed up from my original set...
P1190717-Kopie.jpg

Then some reading stuff. Japanese Z-story book. looks promising but have to study it first:
P1190719-Kopie.jpg

P1190718-Kopie.jpg

Japense (later version) Z432-R & 240Z  Race & Rallye preparation manual... 
P1190720-Kopie.jpg

has lots of technical information about how to prepare the car and some additional information.
P1190721-Kopie.jpg

Nostalgic Hero S30Z only book.
P1190722-Kopie.jpg

Seems to have some interesting cars and information inside as well...
P1190724-Kopie.jpg

Oh and then a beautiful set of old used but restoreable Enkei mag wheels...
P1190708-Kopie.jpg

Unfortunately the Shirt and Wheels are not for me or my project. I just helped a friend get them here. but because they're nice i thought i'd share the pictures anyway :)
P1190725-Kopie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook groups can suck. While there are always guys beeing A**holes on the internet, sometimes you really run into nice people that help you with your needs and do that happily as well! Recently i asked around if someone had a RH rear quarter panel in usable shape for sale, so my bodyshop doesn't have to make one from scratch (which is a lot more expensive over here). And a guy called Crow Aries immediately was in. It took a while to get all sorted out, but he even was kind enough to remove the old paint before shipping (didn't even ask for this!). Thank you so much sir! This is the car it was removed from:
28460726_684615288595624_1708044622_o-Ko 

28938591_691936087863544_686843806_o-Kop

After some blasting and cleaning:
P1190727-Kopie.jpg

Needs some minor work but still way better than getting this whole panel made from scratch. With this the RH-side of the car's body should be completed soon :)
P1190728-Kopie.jpg

Oh and he was also kind enough to throw in a hood rod in the package since it appears that i accidentally sold the one i had.. Thanks again sir. Appreciate to deal with you!
P1190730-Kopie.jpg

Not even sure yet if i will end up with solex / Mikuni Triple carbs but, when i was ordering some parts from Japan and saw this set of Manuals for 10 bucks i just couldn't resist.

It's a set of three Manuals / parts catalogue copies in high quality by Mikuni Kogyo corp and Tokiwa (Mikuni / Solex agent in Japan).
P1190737-Kopie.jpg

This one even features a nice picture of the S20 Engine.
P1190738-Kopie.jpg
Now also figoured out the same seller sells new sets with an additional Manual... Still have to read through it though. quite a bit busy atm and can't find time to study all this stuff thoroughly.

• 2 months later...

Despite beeing in full swing with wedding preparations and working on the new house / Garage / Workshop project, i found a little time to find some parts. Well Honestly they found me this time. I guy from the netherlands which i purchased parts for in the past contacted me about some more parts he found:
A whole bunch NOS 71A transmission spareparts (early 5-speed):
P1190872-Kopie.jpg

With a few 71B parts included as well, like a complete 2nd cear assy :)
P1190873-Kopie.jpg

And because the price was so good i decided to take the complete, disassembled 71B (later 5-speed) as well. I dont really need it but you never know. and the price was too good. If someone is interested i can sell it. But won't actively advertise it and will keep it as a spare transmission at the moment :)
P1190874-Kopie.jpg

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since a serious update on the 240Z has happened. it was a bit of a hectic time the last few weeks. Aside from marrying my wife and having a three-week / 4850km road-trip to sweden and back (See here) we also started building our House including a big Workshop and Garage (See here), which will be the final home of the Z, and where it will be assembled.
At least my bodyshop guy was working during my absence and sent me some updates from the Z. No big things, but again those small details that matter and make the difference between a cheap resto and a bit more serious one. The door gap at the rear fender has been adjusted and aligned, so that it will have a perfect fit. Before:
IMG-20180718-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20180718-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

And after my Panelbeater worked his magic. Looks absolutely lovely if you ask me.
Now just hope fore some more work getting done soon :)
IMG-20180730-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

Oh, and waiting for some interesting reads from Japan too :)

This is just a short (but important) update. The right hand side rear lower corner has been re-attached (replacement part cutout from a donor car, which i found in America) to the car. This means the right side is complete again. At least from the outside. Now just floors, roof, rear and left side left *lol*. allthough i think the most complicated part of the body restauration is completed now. Still will take a lot of months until the rest is completed..
IMG-20180809-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While i'm busy building my garage/house/Workshop i don't have a lot of time to spend on the cars, but still from time to time i get some things done. like looking for interesting reads. Today this arrived from japan: A set of  Nissan service announcement Book No. 184 "Introduction of Fairlady Z". With tons of information about the then new Fairlady Z.
P1200666-Kopie.jpg

Still need to read through it (and my japanese isn't Very well). but so far i already found some really interesting information in there... For examlpe here the different badging on the different japanese versions of the cars are explained. Sure you find this information in the parts manual as well, but there is a lot more background information and additional information in this books and i absolutely love it :)
P1200667-Kopie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While our garage- / Workshop- and House build is coming along nicely...
P1200700-Kopie.jpg

P1200702-Kopie.jpg

There was something i've been looking for since a long while to complete my Documentation. And more than once i missed a chance to get one of those. but finally i Managed to get hands on it. Or at least a copy of it. the Nissan Sport service transmission manual. It's basically a Book with lots of background information on all (or most of them) optional transmissions for japanese nissans back in the day. I haven't gone through it yet but the information seems to be very useful... I want to thank a certain Man in Japan for taking the effort to copy this for me in excellent quality. Don't want to name you in public because many others may want to get this too, but you know who you are. Thank you! Will pretty sure post some Z-related data from the book on my Blog over the course of the next weeks. whenever i find time.
Original and copy:

Kats-transmission-Manual-Kopie-Kopie.jpe

Cover:

Scan_20180901-Kopie.jpg

Some basic information about the Z-relevant transmissions:

Scan_20180901-2-Kopie.jpg

Just another of these little things that sum up in a lot of time and money, but another little step is done: The inside uf the fuel filler cap - the fuel pipe mounting plate (or whatever you want to call it) is sandblasted and welded back in the car. Will visit the bodyshop on friday and have a closer look at those details:
WhatsApp-Image-2018-09-10-at-16.24.12-Ko

WhatsApp-Image-2018-09-10-at-16.24.48-Ko

Oh and at the japanese classic car meet in Rhotrist last week, i got this german Datsun Book from my Buddy Stefan. Thanks for bringig it along :) Haven't looked inside yet, so i'm curious how it is :)
P1200815-Kopie.jpg

Had a visit at the Bodyshop today to discuss some next steps. Then i realized you guys haven't seen the car as a whole in a while, so i made some pictures. only to find out back at home that the camera settings were wrong and all the pictures were blurry. Nevertheless. here are some (blurry) pictures of the car in it's current state. Next up will be the work on the floorpans :)
P1200831-Kopie.jpg

P1200833-Kopie.jpg

P1200835-Kopie.jpg