HybridZ

Blower Motor Upgrade (Kia Sportage)

sayitaintjonas

• 3 weeks later...

My car has factory A/C. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread does as well. I guess I don't understand the rest of your question... The Kia blower is essentially the same as the stock blower. It has a slightly larger squirrel cage with more vanes and moves more air

• 4 months later...

Everytime this topic rises to the top I forget I'm looking at the Interior forum and I get all excited about somebody putting a blower on their motor, like a Maggie, Wipple or Paxton.  Someday I will get the HVAC system back into my car...its been at least 15 years, and it would be kinda nice.  Y'all interior folks, have fun!  Happy New Year!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody know where to get the proper electrical plug for that fan? That fan right into my housing, no trimming. But need the plug to wire it up. Thanks, Joe

Edited by JoeK

On 5/29/2018 at 8:44 PM, JoeK said:

Anybody know where to get the proper electrical plug for that fan? That fan right into my housing, no trimming. But need the plug to wire it up. Thanks, Joe

The stock plug on the '74-'76 fits the Kia blower without modification. (I'm assuming the '77-'78 are the same but I don't know for certain) .  It has the same "T" configuration 2-pin plug and polarity is correct.  

Also, there is no way the Kia blower we're talking about will fit right in the stock '74-'76 blower housing.  The squirrel cage is slightly larger than the stock opening.  The opening needs to be trimmed to get the squirrel cage in.

Cool. I guess it's just another of those little differences between the different years. My car is a late '71. The squirrel cage fit just exactly with no trimming, though I did have to elongate the mounting holes slightly. As far as the wiring, my original fan motor has 2 wires with individual tabs, that I believe went to the housing.the plug from the housing has a 6 wire plug on the end. 

16 hours ago, cgsheen said:

The stock plug on the '74-'76 fits the Kia blower without modification. (I'm assuming the '77-'78 are the same but I don't know for certain) .  It has the same "T" configuration 2-pin plug and polarity is correct.  

Also, there is no way the Kia blower we're talking about will fit right in the stock '74-'76 blower housing.  The squirrel cage is slightly larger than the stock opening.  The opening needs to be trimmed to get the squirrel cage in.

The honda civic motor plugged is wired correct for 240z's, the kia motor is wired correct for 280z's as cgsheen mentioned, I've have done both 77 & 78 280's myself with kia motors.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, MarkS said:

Can you tell explain exactly what you had to do to modify the blower housing to fit the Kia Fan.  I have a 77-280z and the blower just starting making noise and I want to replace it.

thanks

mark 

The opening in the housing just needs to be enlarged.  I put the squirrel cage on top of the opening and used a scribe to trace out how much it needed to be opened and used a grinder to just removed the little amount of material so it would slide in.  That was it. 

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to remove the dash.  The blower housing will come out with the dash in place.  The nuts that hold it in place are on the firewall so they're not all really obvious, but if you get in there you'll find them...  Look in the FSM to see how it's mounted.