HybridZ

Sorry if this had been asked to death but

FlameShadow

I have a question specific to the parts I have, and can't seem to find a definite answer.Can I use the internals of a n47 head in a p90 head put it on a n42 block and then with all the appropriate parts(turbo manifold, turbo ect) have a good running engine, or will this not even work?

The valves are of different length so those won't swap.  The P90 might have hydraulic pivots, which would be an issue (see below).  The cams might swap but make sure the rocker arms come over in the same positions.  Lots of ways to go wrong.

You can look to see what type you have real fast. You will need a Timesert threaded.... helicoil thing. I forgot the part number but found mine on Amazon many moons ago. Converts from the threads inside the head to the threads of the solid lifter. Install solid lifters real tight. Use solid lifter cam. Vroom

P23BqN2.jpg

Edited by josh817

Sorry meant info, on my phone currently so it auto corrected. I thought that was the only difference between p90 and p90a heads was the lifters.

Some of the P90A heads have been found to have solid lifters. It's thought that the some of the first ones went through before the switch. That said, it doesn't seem to be very common.

My p90a head is missing everything's that's why I was wondering if I could transfer from a n47 head and have a functional engine. Or would

It just be easier to use the n47

It sounds to me like the valves and the lifter pivots are going to be a problem.

It's been described several times that running the 8.3 CR engine (dished pistons with N42 or N47 head) in turbocharged fashion is not really a problem.  Assuming Megasquirt or some other tunable engine management.  So it will work.  And would be much easier and cheaper than getting the P90A back in shape.  One downside that you might hear about is the liners in the N47 exhaust ports and the possibility of losing one and damaging the turbo.

If you don't know much about the P90A head, it would be worthwhile to ask why anyone would strip the hardware and let the head go.  The simple reason is that it's damaged, either warped or cracked,and someone salvaged what they could.