HybridZ

280Z Low voltage at idle

Sorry if this has been covered on here before, but I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Here goes...when the car is moving, 2k rpm and up, voltage is around 13.5 (maybe a bit low, but I get by). At idle, it drops as low as 9.4V, so low that when the headlights are on, and I put the turn signal on, there's not enough juice to make the signal blink. The needle on the amp gauges hovers below the middle mark at idle. Once I start driving, it'll be right in the middle. Cold starts when I haven't driven the car in a few days is rough. Car starts up easily, but once it's on, voltage is low for a few minutes once I start driving.

Battery check out, but I don't know the history on the alternator, or the voltage regulator. At this point I'm thinking I should just get a new 60amp ZX alternator and see if that helps, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

I'm having similar issues. I have a 78 280 with a l28et from a 83zx. Currently, I had the alternator from the l28e. I have the alternator checked at autozone and they said that the voltage regulator was bad. Is this an easy part to swap? Should I just purchase a new alternator from a zx? regulator was about 12$ alternator was 50$. I was thinking that it just might be best to get a new alternator.

Edited by rome03