HybridZ

Just starting my ls1/t56 build!

The stock T56 handle didn't bring the shift ball to what i considered to be the right location for my right hand so I took my 280Z shift lever and modified it to attach tho the T56 and come further aft where my hand rested.  It put 3rd gear in reach without having to reach.

Man that MGW shifter sure does look awesome... but another 200 bucks I don't have.. damnit. On another note got most of the main cabin done. All that's left is a tiny spot right under the steering column which I need to finish cleaning off the crappy insulation first. After that I'm going to pick up some 3m super 77 spray adhesive and some reflectix from lowes and wrap the trans tunnel and firewall multiple times to make sure they are fully insulated. Then back to wiring up the tail lights..

Edited by CableSrv

I thought about that, but lack of compressor and spray gun kinda nullified that thought :( I really do need to get me a new compressor.. But I'm slowly making headway. I got my exhaust pipe cutter so next up is probably starting my exhaust build.

Items recently purchased but not all installed.

• O2 sensors - Purchased!
  • radiator hoses - Purchased
  • JTR intake kit  - Purchased
  • Air filter - Purchased Specter black 3.5in filter
  • 6 gauge battery wire for alternator and grounds - Purchased
  • transmission insulation - Purchased and installed
  • firewall insulation - Purchased and installed
  • truck bed liner for under the car - Purchased (need to paint on)
  • UWS 133-25 weatherstripping for both doors and hatch.. (this stuff is amazing btw)

Stuff still to purchase

• 5/8 vent hose for tank - $30
  • transmission fluid - $20
  • new oil filter and oil - $70
  • heater hoses - ?? (will loop just to hear engine start)
  • Speed Hut Gauges - $541 (gps speedo and tach only)
  • dot 3 brake fluid to fill clutch and brake lines - $15
  • muffler - $38-120
  • 3in vband clamps - $40 bucks 2x $20

Sadly I've been sick most of last week and this week, that I haven't had time to work on the car! I'm getting a 3 day weekend and I think I should be good to work on the car some and I have plenty of goodies to play with. Sound deadener is in and soon weatherstripping will be installed. Got my new O2 sensors so will need to finally make some downpipes so that I can have them installed and at least get her started. Radiator and hoses should also be installed. Will also get the truck bed liner coated on the bottom of the car.

Sadly I just ordered the jtr intake kit, air filter, and battery wire... so those won't be here till next week probably.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh this sucks... been in the hospital a week due to some shitty virus... been sick for a total of 3 weeks now. Finally getting better but haven't have time to work on Z since I'm recovering.

good news is my JTR ducting kit came in!! So all I have left is battery charge, wiring, and fuel hookups and doing a down pipe for the o2 sensors.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to work on the Z this weekend. Was able to finally mount the new radiator and the camaro radiator fans. While I was at it, also tried to install the JTR intake duct kit... however it seems the radiator support holes are not large enough for the aluminum pipe to fit through and it seems I'm going to have to cut the support to make it fit...

Either way here is an updated album

http://imgur.com/a/R7Cdd

sadly a month of no work.. feels good to finally be working on her again. 

At this point all I have left before starting her is

• new battery (old one is apparently dead and won't accept charge)
  • wiring up the alternator to the starter (I have 4g wire) I also need to cut the black plastic part of the alternator as it comes in contact with the engine mount from JCI
  • shaving the block to allow driver side header to actually sit flush on it's mount... 
  • installing o2 bungs on the headers
  • making exhaust.... (but not needed to just start)
  • reinstalling fuel tank, sender, and evap lines
  • tightening all the fuel lines
  • mounting fuel pump, regulator/filter and the additional prefilter
  • sheathing for wires going on passenger side to protect from heat off the header.. any suggestions? I have black non glued vinyl tape but I don't think that's going to withstand the header temps... is there some wrap I can use?

I think I'm going to start working on the fuel tank and evap lines this week. I need to modify the tank once more to rotate the 90 degree bend evap line on the top of the tank since it points in the wrong direction and it's not worth buying that pre bent fuel hose for like 100+ then I can run a short line from there to the fuel inlet up top and delete the evap tank.

Edited by CableSrv

Question.... I'm thinking of welding tabs with bolt holes on them to allow me to mount the pump and regulator directly to the tank... vibration issues... will the pump be ok with the vibrations if I have it directly mounted against the tank itself? Even if I use rubber isolators? Do you forsee any issue if I weld on mounting tabs to the fuel tank?