HybridZ

Just starting my ls1/t56 build!

Diff has been holding up to a stock LS1 with no problems now! Completely happy about how well it has turned out. Drained and  put in motul and no shavings or metal particles coming out. Still has no slop so I think this is going to hold up pretty well. Now once I start adding power, that might be a different story... I hope it'll hold up till around 450. In other news finally ordered my rims and tires and flares.

https://imgur.com/a/hXb5t

Flares and tires should arrive today! It is sad tho... I could not find any 275/40r17 rubber anywhere in stock in dfw. I pretty much had to order it online. I need to fill my welding tank back up and hopefully soon I can get these flares on!!

Yea trying to figure out how I want to attach them... rivets? weld on some nuts behind the fenders and use allen button heads? Also should I use welting? and which type? would lowes or any place like that carry any form of welting?

Cable,

A lot of people have used the rivet nuts. the tool and button head bolts.  I spent some time diggin all of this stuff up so I figure I could pass this along.  I'll be doing there flares here in a few weeks.

Welting - Purchased from Steele rubber Products (part number 20-1591-44).  The rolls are 8 feet and you will need two for all 4 wheels.  This is exactly what Hoke used for his and they look nice.  

Rivet nuts and tool - This can be purchased from Pegasus auto Racing Supplier.  The Tool is part is part number 659-4 and is only $12.  I got the steel rivets that Hoke used (part number 650-4-140) however people have used the shallower aluminum ones with good results too.  I haven't put mine in yet but I think both of these will work fine.

I haven't looked at the bolt options yet but I know you need 12 rivet nuts for the rear, 12 nuts and lock washers for the front.  24 washers and SS buttonhead bolts.  I think most people are buying 1/2" in length in the 1/4" size.  

There was a thread on a good rivet gun down in the fabric area, lots of good ideas in there about where to buy and such. As far as bolts, my local Fastenal was actually very helpful and cheap as he'll to buy large quantities. A box of 100 M6x25mm only cost me like 8 buxors.

I was considering doing rivets as well.  We used to use boxes of those things on the dirt cars we repaired back in high school.  I just am not sure how easy to drill out the steel ones would be.  I'm sure you'd have to put a good amount of force on the fender as you drill them out.  

Yea, I went with rivets for now, however I'm not really liking these flares that much.

https://i.imgur.com/1rlgmZD.jpg

The lack of flanges that meet the body or the lip for the tires seems like crap. Not to mention that they were not labeled at all so no clue if I have the rears or fronts on correctly or not. At some point once I'm ready to tackle the main body/paint, I plan to swapped the flares to something different. Maybe carbon fiber? assuming they have the lip and flange for the body.

However my next chunk of money goes to fender mirrors and cam/heads for the engine. Loving these rims and tires!

Damn you are QUICK sir!  How many hours did you put in to cutting the fenders/quarters up and get them right?

I think they look like they are on the right side.  I will say that I ordered a set from the Z store and I was not happy with how they fit.  I ended up getting some shipped in from Japan that fit REALLY well.  I would assume that the welting should help cover the imperfections.  

Is it just the shape of them that you don't like or how they fit with the body lines?  The wheels look GREAT btw!

I would say about sat/sun worth of cutting and welding. Friday was used to find fitment but these just don't feel like they have good fitment... I would say the the shape of them versus the body doesn't seem right?