HybridZ

70 240z looses clutch pressure when return spring is attached

jtpaintballwdp

As the title says. I have an early style slave (new) with the adjustable rod. I have not replaced the clutch master yet. Bench bled the master, bled the slave.

With the return spring attached I have no pressure in the pedal. When I unhook the spring I have pressure and can shift in and out of gear.

Does this sound like a bad master, an adjustment issue? Still air in the system?

Thanks!!

Sounds like adjustment to me. The later slaves are basically the same, they just let the piston retract via the pressure plate springs. If you have yours adjusted too short then the spring will pull the slave all the way back in, and then you get nothing on the pedal. You need a bit of free play in there, don't adjust the slave until it is actually pushing on the fork. Should be able to get it close and then adjust so the pedal engages about 1/3 of the way up from the floor and be good to go.

I picked up a '73 240z and had problems getting the shifter in gear at stops. Made an adjustment from 6 free threads to 4 on the screw/bolt and got completely locked out so I went the other way to 8 free threads. That worked great until I guess the system heated up during downtown light to light driving. It needed more adjustment. Hope that helps in some way?