HybridZ

Eibach Springs - Front sits high... *pics*

On 12/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, NewZed said:

This comes up so often that it might get overlooked - make sure you tighten the suspension components with the car on the ground if you loosened, removed, or replaced any bushings.  The factory bushings provided some "spring" to the suspension.

And, because of that, if you wanted to get tricky, you could have a heavy friend sit on the front while you tighten the bushing bolts and nuts.  The bushings will help hold it down.  Edit - or you could lift the back while tightening.  This is only an issue, and will only work, with the factory rubber bushings.

I replaced control arm bushings with poly.  I did not tighten control arms with car on the ground.  Is this required with poly bushings?

On 12/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, adivin said:

I replaced control arm bushings with poly.  I did not tighten control arms with car on the ground.  Is this required with poly bushings?

No, on poly the sleeve is captured by the frame, and the bushing rotates around the sleeve. When you set it down, everything rotates and compensates. On rubber it's all bonded together, so at full droop it should be maxed out one way, and if you tighten it with the bushing relaxed, then when you set it down it will be significantly torqued already, then going over bumps twists it further.

13 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Damn,

I didn’t realize there was such bad Pooh about these . Purchased them for a customers car and wonder if I made a bad decision . When I searched I only found issues with ride height and that was installer error . 

It will work fine, just a lot of people freak out because "MY SPRINGS ARE BROKEN!!111!11!1!1!"

55 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Damn,

I didn’t realize there was such bad Pooh about these . Purchased them for a customers car and wonder if I made a bad decision . When I searched I only found issues with ride height and that was installer error . 

Well  that makes two of us.  MSA said the springs will settle and to give it time.  We shall see.

Put some miles on the springs before making any drastic changes.  If you decide that you like them (other than ride height asthetics) for their progressive wind and overall spring rate, there are plenty of tips and techniques for raising or lowering the front or rear end 1/2" - 1" to even things out.

4 hours ago, jhm said:

Put some miles on the springs before making any drastic changes.  If you decide that you like them (other than ride height asthetics) for their progressive wind and overall spring rate, there are plenty of tips and techniques for raising or lowering the front or rear end 1/2" - 1" to even things out.

I agree, the car isn't running yet so I have no miles on the springs.  I will see if they do.  I was thinking of solid pillow mounts for the front as an option to lower front.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JMortensen said:

No, on poly the sleeve is captured by the frame, and the bushing rotates around the sleeve. When you set it down, everything rotates and compensates. On rubber it's all bonded together, so at full droop it should be maxed out one way, and if you tighten it with the bushing relaxed, then when you set it down it will be significantly torqued already, then going over bumps twists it further.

It will work fine, just a lot of people freak out because "MY SPRINGS ARE BROKEN!!111!11!1!1!"

Well I kept his stock springs - so that’s an easy fix .

• 3 years later...

What a buzz kill.

Just got my 240 back on the ground after fitting Eibach's from MSA. Noticed the front pointing to the sky, googled to see if it was a common problem and stumbled on this post.

Back to square one.

I'm going to send these back to MSA, rubbish.