HybridZ

Mfactory R200 LSD

exlifesaver

***Per availability for this month only we can offer a special price for Hybrid Z members. We are not allowed to advertise the price below MSRP but you can PM us and we can tell you then. It will be substantially lower then MSRP. Act fast and take advantage of this great deal!***

I am working on a 240z swap using the R200. It is very hard finding a R200 with the LSD. Pursuing other products on the market to achieve the open diff. to an LSD is not only expensive, purchasing a Quaife but is not practical installing a Phantom Grip or the conversion from Traction Concepts. The later products in my opinion will never handle the stress needed to achieve the horse power most of us want. I personally would like to have a great LSD installed one time and forget it. So I will get to the point. I have contacted MFactory. At this time they do not carry an LSD for the R200. But, if there is enough interest and I want to stress serious interest. They will begin the process of development and manufacturing the helical LSD. With initial talks the unit will be at least on the average of $300.00-400.00 less than the Quaife and still have a lifetime warranty. For those of you not familiar with MFactory, here is a link for you to read about their products and how they are made.
http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd for information on their helical LSD’s

Serious interest post below so we can start a list.

1.exlifesaver*PAID*
2.LLave*PAID*
3.hcarrickz3 *PAID*
4. yahz *PAID*
5.konradlip *PAID*
6.Chris Duncan *PAID*
7.hcarrickz3 (2nd LSD) *PAID*
8.MidnightCafe *PAID*
9.Medic8 *PAID*
10.makaofox *PAID*

Edited by exlifesaver

Off-topic, I just thought the advice/info below from their web site was funny.  "Gee wiz, one of my wheels is spinning.  Good thing I know enough to tap my brake pedal."

A common misconception is that a Torsen-Style Differential is useless under a no-load situation (e.g One wheel in the air). Thismyth has been further perpetuated by our competitors of whom have limited understanding of how a Torsen-Style LSD functions. This no-load situation does not apply to 90% of users. For the other 10%, there is a simple solution to the problem that our competitors will not tell you; simply tap your brake pedal.

Isn't the design the same as the OBX?

I'd be interested if the price was right, real quaife's go for about 1300 if i remember correctly, and although obx is cheap, the quality control and fact that you need to then purchase the upgraded parts from someone else just to make it work is kind of a turn off. It would be nice to see some company do something in the middle.

Off-topic, I just thought the advice/info below from their web site was funny.  "Gee wiz, one of my wheels is spinning.  Good thing I know enough to tap my brake pedal."

Isn't the design the same as the OBX?

Brake pedal tap works on open diffs too. Yes, sounds like another helical. 75% power to one wheel means 3:1 bias ratio. OBX is probably 2 or 2.5:1, so it might be a bit more aggressive, but really that's the problem with these is that they're not aggressive enough.

I am working on a 240z swap using the R200. It is very hard finding a R200 with the LSD. Pursuing other products on the market to achieve the open diff. to an LSD is not only expensive, purchasing a Quaife but is not practical installing a Phantom Grip or the conversion from Traction Concepts. The later products in my opinion will never handle the stress needed to achieve the horse power most of us want. I personally would like to have a great LSD installed one time and forget it. So I will get to the point. I have contacted MFactory. At this time they do not carry an LSD for the R200. But, if there is enough interest and I want to stress serious interest. They will begin the process of development and manufacturing the helical LSD. With initial talks the unit will be at least on the average of $300.00-400.00 less than the Quaife and still have a lifetime warranty. For those of you not familiar with MFactory, here is a link for you to read about their products and how they are made.

http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd for information on their helical LSD’s

Serious interest post below so we can start a list.

Didn't mean to divert your thread.  But you have zero posts and your writing style is kind of like the style on the MFactory web site.  If you want to get a group buy going, it would probably help you to show how this is different from the OBX, since it looks very similar.  $300-400 less than Quaife is still more expensive than OBX, I believe (don't have the numbers).

Share your correspondence with MFactory for a start.  Always good to have options and if they can get in the game with a bolt-in product, rather than one that requires buying another party's modification package (the improved washers for the OBX), they would have an advantage.

Edited by NewZed

We are in no relation to mfactory, my father and I are just a couple of guys that work on cars in our free time. We have built several cars some using quaife and some using mfactory. Several years ago my quaife in my honda gave out, when it came time for warranty quaife was anything but helpful. So I switched to mfactory because I had other parts from them that have proven themselves, and their customer service is one of the best I have ever dealt with. Long story short quaife left a bad taste in our mouth, so we didn't want to run them in our rb26 240z. We also didn't want to run OBX because of the obvious already stated problems above. We simply just called mfactory to find out what it would take to make them manufacture a r200 LSD diff. So if we can just find out if their would actually be any interest so we can take this to the next step.

Sounds reasonable.  I'm not sure you can start a group buy with out a price and a description of what's delivered.  It's in the forum rules somewhere.  You can start a poll or survey though, of who might be interested, what they want, and what they might pay.

• 3 weeks later...

We apologize for all the inconvenience caused by our thread. But just to answer the previous questions, the unit looks similar to the Quaiffe because the outside design has to be comparable to fit into the differential housing, but its stronger than the OBX. The price per LSD will be 700 dollars each, and the first 10 units sold will be shipped for free.

If anyone is interested we would be more than happy to answer any and all questions and can be reached via PM or at nick@jdmpowerhouse.com

Thank you all so much for your time,

Nick

I was just pointing some things out.  If the moderators were disturbed they would have moved your thread.  

So, are you saying that, as of right now, somebody can buy one of these for $700?  The development work is done?  One buyer and a diff for the R200 happens?  Or one buyer and development starts?  Is there a minimum number of buyers required to get things started?.

Just trying to get a clear picture.  The details aren't there.

The design is in the works, we are simply looking for interest. They do not want to begin putting their time, money and resources into manufacturing a product if there is no market for it. We are only trying to show them that there are people out there who would be interested in it.

The price we were given is the price they told us it would cost to produce and sell, however there will be no production OR selling unless we can prove that there are more people who would be willing to spend the money and purchase it.

There are no "details" listed because there are very few "details" to give. They are in the very early stages of developing it, but will not proceed unless we can find ten people to commit to buy once the product is completed.

I apologize for the vagueness of my posts, we are working details out with them daily.

They have estimated 6-8 months development/ manufacturing time before they are ready to ship, but the 6-8 month time frame will not begin until they have the required 10 people interested.

Thanks!

Not this second but I'd be game for a torsen unit at that price, so long as it truly is drop in and go and will also fit z31 axles like everyone else does. I wouldn't even mind if the ring gear was 12 mm instead of 10 since that is a simple fix. Given the 6-8 month wait, you can put me up for one. Would there be some kind of warranty?

• 1 month later...

If you can provide the target max. torque rating for the new LSD compared to Quaiffe and OBX so I know what I'm getting for approx. $700 is going to buy, and what other changes/parts will be required to use it, I may be interested in two of them.  Both my V8 240Z and V8 280Z are R200s, and both see mostly street use and limited open track days, but getting out of a corner harder/sooner has been always been a priority.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is for the warranty information for helghast7, this is directly off of Mfactory's website regarding ALL of their LSD units.

TERMS: MFactory Competition Products will provide a limited lifetime warranty for all Helical LSD's to be free of defects in materials and workmanship upon receipt of product and professional installation. Parts returned must be determined by MFactory Competition Products to be defective before any warranty credit or replacement is issued

MFactory Competition Products's obligation under warranty shall be limited to repairing or replacing, at its option, any part proven defective. The customer must prepay transportation charges

Final determination of the suitability of the products for the use contemplated by the buyer is the sole responsibility of the buyer. MFactory Competition Products shall not be liable for any special, direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, that might be claimed as a result of the failure of any part, including claims for delay, loss of profits, or labor

MFactory Competition Products shall not be liable for any damage or injury to persons or property resulting from improper installation or misuse of any part subject to this warranty

There are no other warranties expressed or implied extending beyond those set forth above

INSTALLATION: Any warranty claims arising as a result of the failure of a Helical LSD will ONLY be entertained if the LSD was professionally installed and was NOT disassembled. Disassembling a Helical LSD will invalidate the warranty.

RECOMMENDED FLUID: When ordering your MFactory Helical LSD, we highly recommend that you order our Torco Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) at the same time. For your convenience, we offer Half Cases (6 x 1ltr Bottles) which is sufficient for the initial break-in period of your new transmission component(s) (approx. 1 tank of gas) and the subsequent fluid flush. DO NOT use Gear Oil in your Honda Transmission. Doing so will cause more damage than good, especially the expensive Synthetic/Performance Gear Oils. Please click here for further information.

RECOMMENDED BEARINGS: When ordering your MFactory Helical LSD, we highly recommend that you order new Diff Bearings at the same time. All of the bearings that we supply are high quality OEM replacement Japanese Bearings. Prices are Per Pair.

As for torque rating for sstallings, I talked to mfactory today and they said they do not go by torque but they do go by horsepower. All of their units are built for 1000hp to the differential.

"INSTALLATION: Any warranty claims arising as a result of the failure of a Helical LSD will ONLY be entertained if the LSD was professionally installed "

What is the criteria for determining whether a unit is "professionally" installed?

• 2 weeks later...

After further discussions with MFactory regarding installation warranty. Warranty covers those purchasers of the LSD that have knowledge of installation of LSD. Does not necessarily mean a professional mechanic. The folks at MFactory are very reasonable when it comes to warranty. They make a tough and reliable product.  That is why I continue to pursue the development of an R200 LSD.  I doubt one would get this type of service anywhere else.

MidnightCafe, I am unsure of what other data you might want.

In the comments it is explicitly stated that;

700 dollars is the price of each unit.

10 is the number of units that would need to be purchased in order for them to begin production.

There is a lifetime warranty.

The units will be ready to ship in approximately 6 months.

The first 10 units sold will be shipped for free.

They will be "drop and go", meaning that aside from the unit itself, no other modifications will need to be made.

They are rated to withstand up to 1000 horse power.

I understand that my original post was vague, and I apologize. It was made at the beginning stages of talks with MFactory and there were very few details to give.

However, at this point in time they are ready to begin the production of the units. All of the details have been hammered out and they are just waiting on us to tell them how many people we have on board.

If you have any more questions or are seriously interested, please do not hesitate to contact me at nick@jdmpowerhouse.com