HybridZ

timing chain brand input

bahelion89

75 280z motor is stock and supposedly only has 40,000 but sat for 10yrs.

alright so i'm taking the engine apart and rebuild/refreshing my motor depending on how everything looks.

My question is what brand of timing chain/set is everyone using? 

ITM, Beck/Arnley, Cloyes

Thanks!

I know you're asking about a timing chain set, but I have heard that the ITM pistons are descent from Tony d.   I'm probably going to end up using their pistons and timing chain set in my build.   I don't have hands on experience with their parts yet, but I talked to zcar source about their "master engine kits" and they said that ITM is sometimes what they sell.   He couldn't tell me 100% that's what I'd get, but said they did use them and ITM parts will probably be in the kit.... Pistons in particular was my inquiry .   Sorry if this is not a direct answer, but from what I'm gathering they're not top of the line, but descent, and if properly set up, shouldn't be issue of failure.   Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking at their parts too.

Just wondering why the engine needs an overhaul? Unless you know it's in poor condition just use it. I've installed engines that have sat outside for ten + years in the weather, uncovered with unknown mileage and have gone another 100K. They are ALOT more durable than you think, not like domestic stuff of the same era. I would run the thing and see what happens. I bet it will be fine.

Well right now i'm installing megasquirt and c.o.p's and i have a big leak from the valve cover because the threads were stripped by someone prier. so i was planning on getting megasquirt running and then taking the head off to take care of the leak problem, at the same time, overhauling the motor just to ease my mind...i know compression is good so i wont be tearing the pistons out unless something is terribly wrong...i'm use to dealing with troublesome motors and don't feel like having to rework anything twice.

and yes i know that the metal composition in the block is wonderful, but i don't trust previous owners. 

p.s. i also have about a half inch of sludge in my pan from sitting for ten yrs and not being run and that makes me cringe 

i have a big leak from the valve cover because the threads were stripped by someone prier. so i was planning on getting megasquirt running and then taking the head off to take care of the leak problem, 

Why take the head off to fix the threads of some valve cover bolt holes?  Makes no sense.

so your telling me that an engine that has sat for 10yrs, you wouldn't want to check it out and make sure everything is okay? a 1/2" of sludge in the pan wouldnt be a concern to you?

you guys are focusing on the little details of the conversation and not answering the real question. If i dont know the history of a motor/car and can see it hasnt been properly taken care of i am going to check/replace everything especially if i need to depend on the vehicle.

just think of my car as a total restoration project

What kind of timing chain set would you use? 

so your telling me that an engine that has sat for 10yrs, you wouldn't want to check it out and make sure everything is okay? 

you guys are focusing on the little details of the conversation and not answering the real question.

What kind of timing chain set would you use? 

That's not why you said you were removing the head.  I went with what you wrote.  Work on your writing skills.

The last two statements are ironic.  Brand of timing chain set would be a little detail, considering the scope of your project.  You got three answers already anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What you propose is not "an overhaul" -- and yeah, I had an engine filled with three gallons of typhoon water that sat outside for five years.

All I did was clean top and bottom with lacquer thinner and a brush. Compression was good, no need to disturb anything.

I put that one in and have run something like 40,000 boosted hard miles on it since. At one point daily driving it 100+ miles a day.

Sludge in the pan? PFFT! Clean it and run it.

The "overhaul" you're proposing will cause more problems than you think it will solve. Especially since whatever you put in there will be worse quality than what Nissan put in there in the first place!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a ITM full timing set. Came with both gears, tensioner, chain and guides. When I put it all together and went to install the timing cover the chain guides hit the timing cover and I had to modify the guides with a grinder to fit.