HybridZ

Fastest LS Datsun 1/4 mile

Was this thread a nice way of saying "hahaha I am faster than all of you"?? Haha, I am kidding. Good run, definitely moving at 155 in the 1/4.

No, honestly I am curious more than anything. Figured I could see how fast people are going out there with their datsuns. Pretty stoked that I might be top of the bunch for now though. I plan on going a LOT faster over the next year too.

Yeah, that was at 15psi, it trapped 160 the next time out with 17psi. Can't wait to turn it up to 25-30psi and see what happens :D

• 2 weeks later...

From post #18 on the first page of that build link...

"There are a lot of guys out there with turbo v8 datsuns...and most of them are incredibly slow. I don't know if its bad driving, bad setup, or just bad luck but it has really disturbed me. Troll around hybridz.org for a bit and you will see what I mean."

Welcome... :rolleyes:

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

"There are a lot of guys out there with turbo v8 datsuns...and most of them are incredibly slow. I don't know if its bad driving, bad setup, or just bad luck but it has really disturbed me. Troll around hybridz.org for a bit and you will see what I mean."

Mike

Sad but true. Lately people have been starting to move though. When that was posted it was pretty bad, when you see a bunch 2600 lb car with a 600+ hp setup of running 11s at best it wasn't exactly inspiring.

That was also when the mods were being mega douchebags and shooting down every single new person with any questions that they MIGHT be able to find online. It wasn't a community that I was proud to be a part of at all, but luckily it has been changing for the better which is why I actually post on here now.

Wow, 600 rwhp and 11's, I put down 530 rwhp and ran 9.70's with my old set up.  I would be slightly depressed after all that work!

I agree, the problem you run into is these dyno racers that all they concern themselves with is how much power they put down on the dyno yet they can't use most of it on the street or track due to their inferior set up. Most of them are just punk kids. I remember the days when people would ask what numbers you pull in the 1/4 now the first question is how much power does your car put to the rear wheels like that's going to tell them how fast your car is.

Sad but true. Lately people have been starting to move though. When that was posted it was pretty bad, when you see a bunch 2600 lb car with a 600+ hp setup of running 11s at best it wasn't exactly inspiring.

That was also when the mods were being mega douchebags and shooting down every single new person with any questions that they MIGHT be able to find online. It wasn't a community that I was proud to be a part of at all, but luckily it has been changing for the better which is why I actually post on here now.

Solid Axle vs IRS IMO. Most dont want to break and leave lightly. I have a 93 Mustang LX coupe with a 4V and 6 speed from a  03 Cobra. Motors stock with cai and TB. It makes 440 whp 460 tq. On 17" drag radials the car runs 11.30's@122 on street trim with 18x9" rims on the front. The IRS cobra making the same power are a solid second behind me because I can launch.

I'm shooting for 600 streetable horsepower and run in the 9's to begin with. Car has to be able to drive long distances. I live near Toronto Canada and I like to visit events in the US, the closest being about 6 hours away.

Solid Axle vs IRS IMO. Most dont want to break and leave lightly. I have a 93 Mustang LX coupe with a 4V and 6 speed from a 03 Cobra. Motors stock with cai and TB. It makes 440 whp 460 tq. On 17" drag radials the car runs 11.30's@122 on street trim with 18x9" rims on the front. The IRS cobra making the same power are a solid second behind me because I can launch.

I'm shooting for 600 streetable horsepower and run in the 9's to begin with. Car has to be able to drive long distances. I live near Toronto Canada and I like to visit events in the US, the closest being about 6 hours away.

That is a commom reason given but it's not really that true. My old irs setup ran mid 10s without batting an eye, and it's now in Infidels car (He upgraded stuff on it too) and he runs solidly in the 10s with a stock 5.3 and nitrous. He will probably get in the 9s this year with some minor changes. He drives the 200 mile round trip journey with me to and from the track every time we race and never has an issue. He pretty much daily drives the car without a hitch.

I did solid axle for safety and consistency mostly. I planned on running 8s and it just isn't safe to do that on irs. (its totally possible though) my car is probably the heaviest 240z in these forums because of the suspension and cage that I have though. Good thing too, since this year I plan to see what other digits I can get on my time slip :wink:

I'm running an R200 IRS and Z31 4-bolt CV axles with a T56.  I think the standard trans has as much to do with drivetrain breakage as anything else.  My tranny has tons of driveline slack, and with a 4500rpm clutch dump, that slack equals stored energy and suddent impact shock for all the parts down the line.  I have twisted two cheap, cast driveshaft yokes and and one inner axle stub that broke inside the R200. That is at only 400hp/435 tq rating.  I have up-graded to a heat treated billet driveshaft yoke, but I don't know of a way to strengthen the inner stubs (they are part of the inner CV).  I'm confident that with a T350 and foot-braking, my car could handle more power reliably.  Don't know how bad a trans brake would shock it.  I'm holding at current power level in order to limit breakage, although I do hope to add a 150-shot for use after the shift to 3rd and 4rth gear, that should bring me into the 10s.  I don't think I would want to spray right out of the hole-I think that would be drivetrain suicide for me.  At current power level I have gone 11.0 at 126 with a 1.5 60'.  Best 60' to date is 1.43.  No wheel hop issues, except once or twice in the burnout box, but none off the line.  I'm having trouble with dead-hooking this past season-no wheel hop when you dead hook.  I think I'm gonna wind up running one set of small slicks on sticky tracks and a taller set of slicks on slippery tracks.  I need a bit of spin to get her going.  mistafosta, I have been watching your youtube videos, but haven't found any registered to Infidel.  Is Infidel manual or auto trans?

Mike

That is the truth. There are a large group of turbo LSx Datsuns out there with IRS making great power but are unable to put it to the ground. Its a combination of poor suspension set up, tire selection/compound and driving technique. It also holds true to alot of N/A guys on here that make more power than my set up, cut slower times and are riddled with IRS issues. No offense, but RebekahsZ is one of them. Its probably those fake ITB stacks. :P

You will have top share your IRS setup with me. I dont see it living too long in stock form! I know the 00-04 cobra IRS kills 60 ft times. They have trouble with wheel hop. How big a shot on the stock 5.3 was he running?

I leave off of idle on motor, because I have the incorrect converter for my set up. Once the tree turns green I flat foot it, I average a high 1.7x 60 foot and have zero wheel hop or spin. At 3k in first gear I spray a 125 shot until 6k in 3rd gear. I am bumping up to 150 shot and if that doesnt get me what I want then I am going to 175 shot.

Only thing that is left from MistaFostas original set up is the diff and axles, Ive upgraded everything else. That includes the mounts, before he had some funky home made mounts that immediately went into the trash can. Set up consists of the R200 shortnose LSD diff, from the Q45. Techno Tuning front mount and mustache bar. The dogbone and back plates that tie the rear of the a-arms together are boxed and reenforced by me. 280z stub shafts are an upgrade over the 240z units, and should be changed. The axles have Q45 cage/bearings on custom Moser axles. This set up has seen abuse for well over a decade between our two cars.

Edited by The Infidel

I am running a R200LSD 3.70 gear, added clutches, 300ZXT CV axles and a pair of Modern Motorsport billet stubs. I have 60 ft. a best of 1.37 on them, mainly low 1.40's. In 8 yrs I have broken 2 CV axles, no stubs or differentials in this time frame. With the new 436 with LS3 Frankenstein heads I am hoping for low 9's or high 8's on a 200 shot....fingers crossed. Hope the NOS mini progressive controller does the trick. My real goal is 9.XX on motor.

Thanks. "Blown rears"-I have a buddy with a foot brake T350 and junk suspension. He hooks up great even with an open diff. His car just lays back and rolls with the nose up so high that he toes in and his front camber gets all positive. I run +1 degree camber so that the tires squat to vertical. I figured this out by watching the tread wear pattern after each pass and trying to center the "peel" on the tires as they stand up on the fast end. The single adjustable konis stopped my porpoising act. Only the rebound is adjustable. The shock travel on the konis is shorter than the tokicos, so i dont need droop straps anymore. I have the fronts full soft rebound and the rears full hard rebound. At jnjdragracing's advice I run tall fairly rigid foam bumpstops on the rear to keep the rear axles from going below level. If I build another car, it will be an auto and SRA for sure. Ever wish you had a -glide?

Edited by RebekahsZ

In for cars that make power and don't run fast. You boys might be forgetting something ; 6 speed.  I could have put a glide in my car and gone 8's last year, but I decided to 'stick' it out.  I was able to leave in boost 1 time last year, and the car did very well for the setup. It ran 9.7@151 with a 1.47 60'  - This was at over 3100# with me in it.  I'd like to get it into the sub 9.50's this year, as its making more than enough power to do so.  It needs front suspension BADLY (evident if you've ever seen this thing go down the track). But needs some other changes to optimize the setup as well (trans gear ratios).  All in all, it should be a fun year, though I won't be contending for the fastest LSX datsun award.

In for cars that make power and don't run fast. You boys might be forgetting something ; 6 speed. I could have put a glide in my car and gone 8's last year, but I decided to 'stick' it out. I was able to leave in boost 1 time last year, and the car did very well for the setup. It ran 9.7@151 with a 1.47 60' - This was at over 3100# with me in it. I'd like to get it into the sub 9.50's this year, as its making more than enough power to do so. It needs front suspension BADLY (evident if you've ever seen this thing go down the track). But needs some other changes to optimize the setup as well (trans gear ratios). All in all, it should be a fun year, though I won't be contending for the fastest LSX datsun award.

I hear this all the time, but honestly my car was running 10s on motor with the 6 speed on a pretty unimpressive engine.

Also if it was that easy to "just put a glide in it and run 8s" then I wouldn't be one of the only ls Zs running 8s.

Sorry man I can't tell you how tired I get of people telling me "if I just did x I would run 8s no problem." Try actually doing it, it's not that easy.

I ran 10.60's with a cam only LS2, 4l80E and a 3600 stall 9.5" converter foot braking it. Getting the suspension right helps tremendously! I agree running 8's in anything is no piece of cake and deadly if you do not have the proper safety gear/restraints.  Should be an interesting season of racing coming up.